Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Finally climbed my nemesis- Mt. Scott

To disable ads, please log-in.

I must preface this by saying that I am NOT a climber at all. I've been trying, but when all you have are flats and small rollers- climbing is difficult to improve upon. We drove an hour and a half to the Wichita Mountains yesterday (and onto the Wildlife Refuge) and set our mind to climb Mt. Scott (it's my nemesis because I'm the only one of my tri buddies who has yet to climb this "regularly").
    It's not huge (by comparison to many mountains out there), and it can hardly be call "Mt.", but it's HUGE to me. It's 1077 feet of climbing in 2.75 miles.

We started out going straight up. I didn't have any trouble with my legs- just had a hard time catching my breath. Had to stop twice for a minute or two just to cram my lungs back down my throat. Took me 34 min. in the tiniest granny gear I had (I have a triple up front and 9 speed in the back). It was hard, but oh so fun!
    Descending scared the HOLY H*LL out of me. The first part of the descent was VERY steep and very twisty. I got majorly freaked out and had to get off my bike and walk it for about .2 of a mile until it leveled out a little (embarrasing to admit- but I've never been so scared in my whole life). I rode the brakes a lot, but made it down safely. I love speed, but only when it's on a fairly straight road, and only when I don't have the option of plummeting off the side to my death.
    Afterward, we went for a 3 hour ride after on some pretty hilly terrain. Had a blast. On the wildlife refuge there are wild buffalo, longhorn deer, and prairie dogs a plenty. Here are the pics I took (they are with my camera-phone so they're not the best quality):
    #1 is me at the top (yes, I wore my dorky neon yellow vest so cars could see me well)
    #2 is DH at the top (he was much faster on the climb and the descent- and he didn't have to walk his bike at all going down )
    #3 is the view from the top
    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 11-01-2007 at 04:30 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Great job! Great pics! I know what you mean about scary downhills...there are a couple of routes I avoid just because of some steep downhill hairpin turns. If my brakes were to fail...well, I won't go there!

I think you should call this a nemesis mountain though...looks more like a mountain than a hill to me! And, since you conquered it, it can't be your nemesis anymore, right?

Yeah, that's a climb, no doubt about it. Good going! And, thanks for the pics. Really fun to see.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

You should be really proud of yourself and the new bit of strength you've discovered.

I did that climb when I was stationed at Fort Sill. Even though I grew up riding in hilly places, that is a long, hard climb. The grade doesn't relent much so you don't have a chance to recover and there isn't a tree worthy of the name on the whole accursed thing. And that last little bit. Sheesh.

Sorry. I'm gushing. I love it when people post things like this. People pushing themselves and achieving something they didn't think they could do makes me happy.

Congrats, Tri Girl, what a victory! It only gets easier from here, now you have a good "mental map" of the route and your body will get smarter about it. Not to say the downhill won't always scare the poo out of you, though. I'm not a big fan of fast twisty downhills either.

Way to go Tri Girl!!

I bet that felt great. Good on ya.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Congratulations, Tri Girl!
    You just climbed Nemisis Hill!
    Now what are you gonna do?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Shush, zen.

Take that, nemesis hill!!!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

That's a tough climb. Now you can do hill repeats on it.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
    Shush, zen.

Take that, nemesis hill!!!
    She's 'sposed to say "I'm going to Disney World!"
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    She's 'sposed to say "I'm going to Disney World!"
    Awww... heck yeah!
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    Actually, now that I know I won't die on a climb, we're planning a 40 mile hilly ride (a 20 mile out and back with 5,700 ft of total elevation gain) in the fall. Now I know I can do bigger and braver things. It's the Talimena Scenic Drive in Eastern OK. http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/
    Should be funzies....

A friend just rode up Mt. Evans in Colorado (the highest paved road in N. America at 14,264 ft.) and that seems like a goal to have for one day many years in the future.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Way to go!!

That looks like amazing country, I must admit that is unexpected. And on the DH being a mountain goat, I have one of those too. Straight decents I love to see if I can run out of gears but windy and I am scared of burning my brakes!

Mt. Evans, well I have been up it in a car and I just don't know if I would ever have the lungs and legs for doing it by bike!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Congrats! That sounds like a good climb. It's a great feeling when you accomplish something that's been hanging over your head like that.

As for Mt. Evans . . . I have some friends who did the running race up it this year, 14 miles. There was much discussion as to which would be more painful, to run it or ride it. My thinking was that at least if you're running (walking, crawling . . .) you don't have to maintain a minimum speed to stay vertical. Most people agreed. It's been many years since I've driven up there, I don't remember the grades. But I've been hiking up that high enough to know that above 12,000 ft. you really start to notice the thin air. Oh, and you'd have to dodge all the big horn sheep on the descent!
    The best part about going up hills is riding back down!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I must preface this by saying that I am NOT a climber at all. I've been trying, but when all you have are flats and small rollers- climbing is difficult to improve upon. We drove an hour and a half to the Wichita Mountains yesterday (and onto the Wildlife Refuge) and set our mind to climb Mt. Scott (it's my nemesis because I'm the only one of my tri buddies who has yet to climb this "regularly").
    It's not huge (by comparison to many mountains out there), and it can hardly be call "Mt.", but it's HUGE to me. It's 1077 feet of climbing in 2.75 miles.

We started out going straight up. I didn't have any trouble with my legs- just had a hard time catching my breath. Had to stop twice for a minute or two just to cram my lungs back down my throat. Took me 34 min. in the tiniest granny gear I had (I have a triple up front and 9 speed in the back). It was hard, but oh so fun!
    Descending scared the HOLY H*LL out of me. The first part of the descent was VERY steep and very twisty. I got majorly freaked out and had to get off my bike and walk it for about .2 of a mile until it leveled out a little (embarrasing to admit- but I've never been so scared in my whole life). I rode the brakes a lot, but made it down safely. I love speed, but only when it's on a fairly straight road, and only when I don't have the option of plummeting off the side to my death.
    Afterward, we went for a 3 hour ride after on some pretty hilly terrain. Had a blast. On the wildlife refuge there are wild buffalo, longhorn deer, and prairie dogs a plenty. Here are the pics I took (they are with my camera-phone so they're not the best quality):
    #1 is me at the top (yes, I wore my dorky neon yellow vest so cars could see me well)
    #2 is DH at the top (he was much faster on the climb and the descent- and he didn't have to walk his bike at all going down )
    Thanks for reading.
    Really fterrific experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post

Thanks for reading.
    Really terrific experience.