Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Commuting Distance?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a question for all you intrepid bike commuters: How far do you commute one way on a normal day?

I've talked to lots of other bike commuters, all men, and some view riding more than about 3 miles as outrageous; others take a 17-mile one-way ride in stride; one told me that 10 miles was about perfect. Clearly it varies all over, depending on athletic inclination, but I'm just curious what other women do.

My first year of commuting I rode one route: 6 miles one way, twice a day, every day, up and down a nasty, high-traffic road. That ride dropped me at a train station, which carried me the majority of the way to my work. No alternative routes possible, unless I wanted to ride for miles and miles around some reservoirs. Now I've extended my ride to 10 miles, with a goal of riding the full 20 miles one way (I'm tired of wasting time waiting for a train that's late 80% of the time!), and I'm wondering what's "normal" for commuters.

P.S. - If anybody rides on those roads, let me know -- I'd love to team up!
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

My commute is 24km each way (about 15 miles).
    My house is 300metres above sea level so the ride down is much quicker, than the uphill climb home.

I don't commute every day, as I have two teenagers that have to be taken in to high school.

On days where I can work from home (like marking assignments) I take the boys in, leave the car and bike home, then bike back down to pick them up after school.

Some days my partner takes them to school and I bike to work. He leaves the car and goes for his ride, and I bring my bike and the boys home after work.

I think you'll find that commuting distances vary greatly with the girls here, and depend very much on things like the time of day and commuting terrain (I am lucky in that I have no interesctions/lights - I live in the country and my job is on the edge of town).

For example, when it is summer and I have no morning class, I take a rounabout route to work of 37km instead of the quickest way of 24km.

You are setting yourself very good steady and achievable goals. I really enjoy commuting

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

My commute is a whopping 2 miles each way. LOL!

I usually take the direct route to work and a very scenic one home, but now that I have panniers, I'm thinking about taking a longer route to work, also.

I live in a very small town (pop. 25,000) so traffic is hardly ever a problem.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

I can't give an exact one-way distance because I often make a loop or several segments between home, school, and work. Depending on where I'm sleeping (my place or BF's) and my work/class schedule, my daily roundtrip total mileage is anywhere from 11-25. Lately I've been getting more creative with multi-mode commuting - for example I have a weekly morning commitment that is in another part of town so I just take my bike on the light rail to make that leg of the trip faster. Also, one of my dreaded long hills is all along a major bus line, so I give myself permission to hop on the bus at any time if I'm feeling poopy.

My commute is 7.5 miles each way (it will be 10 soon, construction). I think the it is perfect as it is the length where time saved driving starts to become mute. My husband commutes once a week doing 30 each way. After meeting me at work, he was amazed at how convenient my commute really is and now motivates me on the days I have trouble getting out of bed. He is very jealous.

My commute is also pretty short just 2 miles each way. The morning ride is slightly uphill and the afternoon ride treats me to a slight downhill. I'm very excited about commuting this year for the road department just repaved the main road I take to work and it is smooth sailing both ways now. I'm so excited that I will no longer have to dodge pop holes and broken pavement.

I start commuting again on Monday!
    Marcie

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    My commute is 7.2 miles (11.6 km) each way. I try to ride 2 or 3 x's a week.
    I live in the 'burbs around a city and there are 3 major road crossings with which I must contend, regardless of the route I choose: Fortunately, I can do them all at traffic lights.
    Most of the other bike commuters I know in my office have rides that are actually shorter than mine. Some as short as a mile, if they take the most direct route. When I was in Massachusetts, I knew a guy who commute 4 days/week for 23 miles each way! He was an animal!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I started bike commuting about a month and a half ago. My commute is 12.5 miles each way, so a nice round 25. With the lights and all, it usually takes me between 50 and 55 minutes each way, unless I'm really pushing it.

I've yet to make five days in a week, but I usually manage three or four.

commute

I commute but I prefer to call it training as i don't carry a thing when i ride to work 3x's a week (swim on the other 2 days).

The short way in is 22km & I do that direction once a week (am & then perhaps the PM) with my dearie poo. I'm not fond of this route as there's traffic and a pub. I do however like it as it follows one of the main train lines..

The long way is 30km but I normally add 20km onto that as a nice training ride (in the am) twice a week. I like to take the 30km route home as it's a nice quiet ride along a purpose built path and I only have to cross three intersections.

I can't wait until summer to see daylight whilst riding!

C

My commute is between 4-5 miles each way - dependig upon the route. I take the longer route if it is light outside and the shorter one when my commute home is at night.

My commute is 13 miles each way. Interestingly enough, it takes me an hour to drive to work, an hour to bike to work, and an hour to take the train to work. At least when I bike to work, I don't have to sit in traffic, so that's what motivates me to get up and on the bike 3-4 days a week. On the days when I need to drive for whatever reason, I leave earlier in the morning to hit the gym, thus avoiding traffic. But, the traffic on the way home never fails to make me wish I was on my bike.

My old commute was 4 miles each way.

My new commute is about 18-24 miles each way, depending on route. Haven't done it as a round trip yet, just as a ride home. (I can bring my bike on the bus to work in the morning.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I've commuted a few times and intend to do more this school year - it's 17 miles each way. People at work think I am insane. It's actually nice to get a decent ride in before work.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

4 miles each way for me. Lots of lights, but a nice wide bike lane for most of it. Took me about 25 min before clipless pedals. Down to about 20 now, because I can ride fast enough to make it through 2 lights I used to end up stopping at before.

commute

I commute 6 miles each way in bad traffic. Ive been doing it for 3 months now.