Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

$2k bikes to look at

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new bike. I've found a used Madone in my size, it fits and I've used one for about a week, so I know it's good size wise. My budget is around $2k, what else might be a decent upgrade from my Cannondale. The Cannondale is a CAAD5 that my DH has done mulitple upgrades to, but it still doesn't fit great, and after using a Madone for a week last year, I really missed it when I was back on my Cannondale.

Thanks

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Right now the '08's are rolling in and I'm seeing discounts--some big--on the '07's. Some of the bikes have the same frame, just different/better components for the '08's.

Some bike shops will take your bike as a trade in for a newer model and you can save some $$$ on your purchase. Is that an option at your LBS?

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. The Madone is a very nice bike.

Make sure you've gone for some long-ish rides on the Madone before you plunk down your hard-earned cash. What feels fine at Mile 10 could have you ready to pull over and hail a cab at Mile 30. I currently ride a Bianchi Veloce--great bike and it was fine at first, but now that I'm trying to do longer distances, it's uncomfortable, and I can't adjust it any further in the direction I want to go. So, actually, I'm researching Trek bikes now, too, though probably one of the Pilot models.

The Madone seems like a great bike. I think there are plenty of Madone riders on these forums, and they seem happy with their bikes. You might want to do a search for "Madone" to see what their owners have to say about them.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I have an '07 Madone and I love it. I ordered the WSD frame and had a friend build her up, so I can't compare it to the stock model that would be available from a LBS.

I would definitely agree about trying out different bikes, and for as long of rides as possible, before making your final decision. When you find the right one you'll fall in love with it and never have to 2nd guess your decision.

I ride an '07 Madone 5.0. I love it. Which one are you considering buying?
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

If you like Carbon you might think about the Cannondale Synapse or Specialized Ruby (if WSD works for you). I ride a WSD Cannondale Synapse which is a relaxed racing geometry, the Ruby will be similar. The CAAD5 is aluminum (I believe) and Cannondale is known for a stiff but somewhat harsh ride on their aluminum bikes, they are built for speed. The Synapse is designed to be more comfortable but still have a bit a racer in it. After nearly 2,500 miles since I got her in December I am quite happy.

Of course the Madone is a wonderful bike and I don't think you will find many (any?) owners that don't love their Madone.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thanks guys, I'm sort of leaning back to a Madone, either 5.2 SL or 5.0 in a WSD. The 5.2 is a better deal, but the 5.0 is a little less expensive and has a more traditional paint scheme. Getting difficult to find in my size this late in the season, but hope to at least ride one or the other this weekend.

Thanks again

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    SR500, if you have an opportunity to test ride a Specialized Roubaix, you might want to give it a go. It's under 2K and it's got a more relaxed geometry like the Dolce, but in a lighter carbon fiber frame. It's one of the top selling bikes along with the Madone.