Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

October vacation in NC

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, ladies, I need some help in planning a vacation that was supposed to take place in September, in Nova Scotia, but has now been moved south, since we can't go in September. We would like to drive to NC and spend about 8 days, not including the drive time down from MA (which based on our trips to HH and Norfolk, should take about 1.5 days). We are planning on taking our bikes (road and mountain) and combine riding with some sight seeing, historical stuff, nature stuff. So, this would not be a bike "tour," but more a vacation where we ride most of the days, but not all of them. I know Asheville is a prime cycling spot, but other than that, I don't really know where to look. We prefer to stay in B and Bs and would like to combine mountains and ocean, if it is possible.
    I know about the Bicycle Inn, but this is not a trip that I want to "train" for. I live in a very hilly area, but they are hills, not mountain passes. We'd also be interested in doing some rail to trail stuff on our mountain bikes. There just isn't anything like that here.
    Any ideas?
    Robyn

Hmmm.....Stop in Damascus, VA on the ride down through the mountains, and ride the VA Creeper. Spend a day or 2 around Boone and Blowing Rock (If you decide to go this way, I can share a couple of flatish routes from a book), drive down to the Bicycle Inn and spend a night - do the flat ride - 40 miles along a river - then spend a night in Asheville. I'd suggest driving from Asheville to Wilmington, and then maybe heading North along the coast. There is good riding to be had down there, but it's rarer than in between thanks to traffic (though Oct is leaf peeper season in the mountains, and the beach may be quieter).

Let me know what you're thinking, and I'll try to make more suggestions. I live smack dab in the middle of the state, so if you pass through here, I'd love to get together for a ride

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks. I will start researching the places you mentioned. I'd like to have this all planned by the beginning of September. Thanks for the hint about the leaf peepers... we have that here, too and it is very annoying. Of course, I live in a town that makes most of its money off of tourists, so I shouldn't say too much.

Robyn

Western NC

Hi Robyn,

I am here in Asheville - and would be happy to help with your plans in this area - the Bicycle Inn is great - but I also have some other suggestions. I think Black Mountain is a great town and gives you "commutability" for riding as well as vacation type activities. I think if you can ride hills you should not miss the ride up route 80 from Marion to the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mount Mitchell - route 80 is not to be missed - it is so beautiful, as is the parkway. We also have some rolling terrain here as well as flat - you just need to ask us locals. Also check out the ride library at the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club (here in NC) on their website - maps and tons of info about riding this area.

One other thought is the Cherohala Skyway - there are some beautiful b and b's in the Robbinsville area - you need to book now for that time. I can send you some pictures of the riding in that area - lots of dams and views that are even better than Asheville - but you do have some climbing - but you can decide how much.

I also think Carrie Ann is correct - that you need to hit the mountains and then head to the coast - just realize that it is a long drive from here to the beaches of NC - but it is worth it - especially the outer banks area.

I would also check out tripadvisor.com for recommendations on lodging and meals etc - I have found that site very helpful when planning my vacations.

Debi

I also second Boone and Blowing Rock - there are some wonderful B&B's in that area (especially Blowing Rock). Grandfather Mountain is a nice place to visit (on foot...I've never biked it, though people do) in that area. If you are coming south via VA and the Blue Ridge Parkway, a stop off in Floyd, VA (a funky, tiny artist community) and a visit to the Chateau Morrisette is worth the trip.

http://www.thedogs.com/

Also, do NOT be intimidated by the mountains around the Bicycle Inn. There are plenty of rides that anyone who rides in New England would be totally capable of enjoying...not just the river ride that CA mentioned. I grew up in your neck of the woods, so I know that you should NOT sell your climbing abilities short! The 'Frankie and Charlie' ride that I did the day before our Roan adventure was 25 miles of gorgeous scenery and fun rolling hills. It is quite possible to ride around the mountains and get a wonderful feel of the area without actually climbing any passes. Plus, Micheal (the owner) can also direct you to good moutain biking areas as well.

One little word of advice - get B&B reservations NOW. I don't know when you'll be here, but the last two weeks in October are the most popular. Quite a few of the best inns are probably already booked for the prime weekends. Of course, if you'll be here during the week, you should be fine with availablity.

Oh, and if you come through Greensboro - let me know. I'd love to get together and ride!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Again, thanks, everyone. Our trip will be during the first 2 weeks in October; I know that does include the Columbus Day Weekend, which might make it hard. From what everyone has said, I am thinking it might be best to concentrate on one area, either mountains or Outer Banks. We have always wanted to go to the Outer Banks, but have avoided it in the summer because of hurricanes and heat. Asheville and the other mountain areas do intrigue me, but I think that a lot of that area might be not that different from New England. Not that I don't want to see it, but I also don't want to spend millions of hours driving. I looked up the schedule of a couple of bike tour companies and saw what they did for the Outer Banks, which includes a lot of places you have mentioned and also a couple of the Rails to Trails in Virginia. So, we could do the Virginia thing on the way down or home; we also may be stopping in Va. Beach to visit our son who will be at counter intelligence school there.
    I just came back from buying 2 Frommers books on VA. and NC and will be reading today and making some decisions. And no, I don't sell my climbing abilities short, but I am slow and steady on those types of rides. I tend to get very nervous when i am riding in areas where I don't what is coming and I don't really want to deal with that on vacation. Once I've done a big climb, I have a better attitude toward it the next time!

Robyn

Robyn,

I am originally from New England - and yes, the terrain here is similar but a little more rugged - to be perfectly honest with you (don't kill me NC ladies) I think fall in New England is prettier than here - the colors are more vivid and the crispness in the air and orchards in season are just spectacular and more of what I associate with fall. That being said - if I had to vote for mountains or coast for a New Englander - I would direct you to the coast. It will be spectacular in the fall and totally different from what you experience at home. I think you will enjoy the cycling where ever you go.

Debi

Admittedly, my loyalties lie in New England. Honestly, even the NE beaches are spectacular (in their own rugged way)... though, I've not been to the beaches in NC yet...we moved here from FL, so I was looking for mountains first and foremost.

I agree that the fall colors are better in New England. BUT, the roads are WAY better for biking here...much better quality pavement!! And, the people are nicer...southern hospitality and all.

I've heard wonderful things about the NC beaches, so perhaps that would be the most logical destination for you. I don't have any first hand experience to offer, but I hope your trip turns out wonderful...no matter where you end up!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

You guys have really helped! I just spent 2 hours at the pond reading the Frommers NC book (hey, I even rode my Voodoo hardtail there, all 1.98 miles round trip) and I have decided on the Outer Banks. There's 2 reasons; one, I am getting the feeling that it will be really crowded with leaf peepers in the mountains and that September would be a better time for that trip. Secondly, it's just too much driving and concentrating on the Outer Banks, particularly the northern part will allow us to also spend some time around Va. Beach and the wildlife refuge there and hopefully see Scott, too. It might also give us time to make a stop in Maryland or Delaware. Everything I read said fall is the best time to visit the Outer Banks, so that helped, too.

I will post again when everything is finalized. And yes, I imagine the roads in NC are better than in MA. Frost heaves, anyone?

A couple more ideas

I PM'd Robyn, so just didn't want my fellow North Carolinians to think that I was being a snob...in addition to the mountains I suggested Elizabeth City and Edenton in the northeast corner of our state as being lovely (and flat!!) places to ride. I've done the Tarwheel Century down there two times in April, and they are both such lovely historic towns on the waterfront.

For a beautiful B&B in Elizabeth City, google the "Pond House Inn". We have never stayed there but have ridden by it on the century I mentioned. It's such a lovely setting on a pond and set back in the trees. We actually had reservations to stay there when doing the Tarwheel Century in April 2005, when I had my cycling/dog accident just two weeks earlier, so we never got to go.

I think you'll find getting inn reservations in eastern NC in October far easier than in western NC. The leaf peepers get their reservations in the mountains in long in advance, and it may already be too late to find any vacancies for October weekends, come to think of it. I did hear on the news last night that the foliage might be prettier than usual this year due to our very hot and dry summer. You won't see much of that in eastern NC, but it's still a pretty area.

Let us know what you decide! I think we'll be out of town or have company most weekends in October, as that is always one of our busiest months, so I doubt I'll be able to get together for a ride, but if you do come through central NC, let us Tarheel TE'ers know, just in case!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hope you don't mind my .02 worth - even if I am up here in VA.

Riding in the eastern part of NC would be relatively flat and fun - and I second the idea of visiting Elizabeth City. However, having spent lots of time on the Outer Banks, be careful of riding there. If you are riding in a development (boring!), you will be ok. If you decide to ride north or south, you will have to ride on NC12 and the traffic is very heavy all year long. It is the ONLY road up and down the Outer Banks. I suggest you visit the Outer Banks because it truly is beautiful, but save your riding for when you are on the other side of the Sound.

Oh yeah - and hurricane season goes until November...
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

We had that sort of bad riding experience in HH (you can probably find the thread I wrote a couple of years ago about almost getting arrested for riding on the road . We are definitely going to go to Elizabeth City and Edenton and do riding there. This is not a total "bike" vacation. We will ride on the Outer Banks when and if we can. We are also bringing our mountain bikes, so any little sandy trail we see, we can do that, too.
    We are planning on leaving early on October 2nd, and probably getting there on the 3d by early afternoon. We have to back on the 19th or 20th. As soon as we make the final reservations, I'll let you guys know.

Robyn

Update

OK, here's the schedule for our vacation:
    Leave MA Oct. 2nd and drive/stay the night in Princess Anne, MD
    Oct. 3,4,5 Stay in Edenton, NC at the Trestle House Inn
    Oct. 6,7,8 Stay in Elizabeth City, NC at the Pond House Inn
    Oct. 9, 10 Stay in Duck (forget the name of the place)
    Oct. 11 Virginia Beach Barclay Cottage Inn
    October 12 Philadelphia ; don't have final res. yet, my husband grew up here
    Oct. 13 home
    Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I downloaded the routes from the River City Cycling Club, so we know we will be riding in Elizabeth City and Edenton. Thanks, Emily for that info. We are very excited about this trip!

Robyn