Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I read this thread and constantly wonder what people would say about what DH and I want to name a boy. We love the name Axel. Not from Guns N Roses, try the Tour de France!! Of course I told a co-worker and she immediately told me how horrible the name was. We still have it as our number one name when we have a kiddo.
    I think that is a great name - Eddy obviously thought so too.

I actually like unusual names but not ones that are so unusual that they are weird. Precious Blood WTF!!!

My three boys all have unusual names by Australian standards but they are definitely not weird.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Axel can be a cute name...

It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Ahhh...KG that is where it came from! Back in 2004 I watched the Tour the first time with DH. I have always had a fascination with names, so you can imagine how intrigued I was at the riders names. Those Basque riders really amuse me with the names because they are so uncommon! Anyway, I saw/heard of Axel for the first time and decided it is a cool name despite people my age wanting to insinuate I must have been a big GNR fan. I always clarify that is actually Axl.

Now back to the weird names- Precious Blood?!?!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Aggie Ama, I like Axel. I also like Cadence. Heck, I even like Madone.

I wanted to name our girl, Karlynn. But people said that it would be associated with the rude comic George Carlen, who (or is it whom) I'd never heard of previously. Then I wanted to name her Anna Lise. Not so common back in '90 when she was born but pretty common now. We named her the traditional Allison and I can't imagine any other name.

Our son is named first name after his grandfather and middle name after his father. Mr. had suggested his middle name after my father but I think that's a really old fashioned name. I wasn't happy with the choice, so I was going to try to come up with something new about 3 weeks before he was due. Mr. was out of town and I went and bought a baby book, thinking that I'd have several choices to present when he got back. Well, I ended up going into labor that night, calling Mr. home and having William the next day. His grandfather is called Bill and we always thought that William would be Will, but it never stuck, and he's still William and it's a perfect fit.

Turns out William ended up being really popular, think it was Lady Diana naming her son that? When he was in 2 year old church preschool in a class for 12 kids, there were 3 Williams. They had to call them each by full first and last names.

Oh, made me think of something that happened in DD's preschool one year. There were two Taylors. One boy , one girl. the kids ended up calling them "Taylor the girl" and "Taylor the boy"

So somehow we ended up with some pretty traditional names.
    Last edited by silver; 11-16-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

My last name is Nutt. Oh man, it was hard naming our kids. We liked the name Jordan...but Jordan Nutt was too much like jordan almonds. I also like the name Tanner....but Tanner Nutt??? lol

I thought I did well with my first son when I signed the birth certificate. We named him Juwan (pronounced with a long u sound). Got the name from Juwan Howard, the pro basketball player that's been in the NBA for many years now. Great name, right? We were SO proud of ourselves for successfully giving our firstborn a carefully-chosen name, so that no kids would make fun, etc.

Until my best friend pointed out that, combined with his middle name initial, it was doom in waiting: Juwan A. Nutt. She was quick to notice and joke that it sounds like you're asking the question "You wanna nut?" in a slightly Hispanic-sounding accent. Good thing we're raising him with a great sense of humor (he's ten now).

We did much better with our other two -- Kaleb Avery and Gillienne Stefanee....a bit original, but not outlandish (or er..pardon me....nutt-y!).

~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Ahhh...KG that is where it came from! Back in 2004 I watched the Tour the first time with DH. I have always had a fascination with names, so you can imagine how intrigued I was at the riders names. Those Basque riders really amuse me with the names because they are so uncommon! Anyway, I saw/heard of Axel for the first time and decided it is a cool name despite people my age wanting to insinuate I must have been a big GNR fan. I always clarify that is actually Axl.

Now back to the weird names- Precious Blood?!?!
    I didn't know is was Axl. It's always written as Axel here (and on his facebook page. His wife is from Kelowna and he has a house here. I saw in in the LBS last week in fact! Too bad I'm not strong enough to do the Sunday ride because he sometimes joins them...

William is an eternally popular name, I've found. Same thing happened with Jacob (my first born). Had 3 Jacobs on one baseball team one year.

Our youngest son is Will, short for William, which is a nod to my dad, Bill, whose name is really Billie, and who has 2 GIRLS named for him.

Karen

Turns out William ended up being really popular, think it was Lady Diana naming her son that? When he was in 2 year old church preschool in a class for 12 kids, there were 3 Williams. They had to call them each by full first and last names.

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Aggie Ama, I like Axel. I also like Cadence. Heck, I even like Madone.
    My husband and I like Cadence as well. It is actually a very pretty name.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    I didn't know is was Axl.
    No, the cyclist is Axel. The former singer from Guns n Roses is Axl.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My husband and I like Cadence as well. It is actually a very pretty name.

No, the cyclist is Axel. The former singer from Guns n Roses is Axl.
    Ahh, I is confused.

OK, GNR = Guns and Rose. Got it. I'm slow.

Urethra Champayne- tried to convince the mom that she had the spelling wrong but she insisted that was how you spell Aretha (as in Aretha Franklin). Ugh!
    Ta-Rod and Ta-Ron-twin boys
    Kilo-yeah his dad was a dealer. Kid's original name was Kevin but when he finally weighed a kilo they changed it. Poor little guy probably has no future that doesn't involve prison.
    And my favorite...K'Ah'Janae A'journae (kay ah zhanay ah zhournay) is the unfortunate moniker a young friend of mine unleashed on her poor innocent babe. I called her "Kelly" instead.
    As far as previous posts "Ceilidgh" is Scottish Gaelic for "party" so kind of cool just impossible to spell. "Aran" is the name of a Scottish island.
    And finally "Female" "Lemonjello" "Orangello" "Clamydia" and "Placenta" are urban myths frequently passed along by nurses who work in OB and Peds. I can't say for certain that they have NEVER been used but the frequency that they come up in odd name lists is not reflective of how often they are actuallly used. It does make a good story though!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I have a boring 1 syllable name from the 1950's when the name was more popular. I was born in 1959.

When you say hi to me, it sounds like hygiene. When you say hi to my partner, it sounds like hijack.

No kiddin'.

I do have a lovely middle name...in Chinese...which embarrassed me as a kid. It was so ethnic-sounding to me. Until I learned of its the English translation: "orchid". My first name in Chinese means, "precious" or "highly treasured". I am the eldest in my family so not surprising I was given this name. It bears no relationship to my English first name.

Orchid is a common flower traditional Chinese name for girls. Like rose or lily is for English/UK cultures.

I most strongly advise parents explain to their child about the meaning of their name, particularily if it is non-English language based. A child needs to be proud of their name.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-17-2007 at 02:56 PM.

I am fond of having a name with meaning. Mine does not, it was popular at the time and my mom found it beautiful. My middle name is her middle name (or was now it is my maiden name) but she just used it because it went with Amanda. My brother was named after two boys in her pre-school she was teaching. Not that they were her favorites, she just liked their names. Oddly his middle name is my father's but that is not why my parents picked it initially!

My niece is named after my husband, I think it is such a sweet tribute. He and his brother are extremely close and if we are to have a boy his middle name will be after my brother in law.
    Amanda

From today's paper, a new twist on Chloe.

Khloee

No kiddin'.

The rest of her name was, apparently, unremarkable.

Karen

I learned this last week - one of the parents in our program has a child - her firstborn - named Genesis. I like it! Of course, my first thought was of the progressive rock group and not the biblical connotation...
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett