Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: rain gear

rain gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

i am looking to get some rain gear for getting around the seattle area . are some brands more waterproof/durable than others? thanks ladies!
    do not medel in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup

I have a Gore-Tex cycling rain jacket that kept me dry all winter and it worked well for insulating layers to keep me warm. For rain pants I used the ones from REI, adaptable to any sport, and I got them big enough to wear thermal underwear and winter cycling tights underneath.

Some cyclists get their rain pants cheap off of eBay; they purchase rain pants for golfers. I don't like to buy anything off of eBay, so I am merely passing on what others have told me.

I've met cyclists who swear by the Burley rain jackets. I think TE sells Burley.

Darcy

Showers Pass Elite rain jacket--best rain jacket ever. If you do a search you'll find many TE folks love this jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Showers Pass Elite rain jacket--best rain jacket ever. If you do a search you'll find many TE folks love this jacket.
    Yes, YES!! It's very light, breathes well, is a nice hi-vis mango color, and most importantly... it's very flattering! I have checked the Burley gear out and while it is very well made, it fits me like a burlap sack. I am busty/curvy and petite, so YMMV on the fit issues.

I also have this Gore brand jacket that mysteriously seems to lack pitzips. I'm not sure how I bought it without noticing that little detail. For most mild rainy NW weather in the 50s and warmer it is too warm. However, for temps below 40, dry or wet, it is toasty.

As for bottoms, I go back and forth a lot. For days that are just a lightly misty/rainy, I often just use plain tights or tights that have a weather barrier only on the front, like the Craft Storm Tights or Pearl Izumi Gavia tights (which seem to have replaced the old Amfib tights). If you have fenders, the only parts of your legs that will really get much rain are the top. I'm also curious about the RainLegs for this kind of mild rainy weather.

For full-on downpours, I love my Craft Bike Rain Pants. I really like the mesh panel at the belly, as well as the full-length mesh down the legs. I think the leg mesh is really important in the NW because often our rainest weather is in the form of a warm Pineapple Express storm. The full-length mesh lining makes it comfortable to wear regular shorts (or even mesh liner shorts) underneath without the pants clinging to your bare legs. For cold superwet weather, full length thermal tights underneath work well.

thanks! these all look like very good options. now for some deal hunting
    do not medel in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup