Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Surly Makes a Great Bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't post often,....well hardly at all,...but I like to read this forum for the great information and wisdom that comes from the awesome people on this site...

anyways...I Love my Long Haul Trucker!!!! I have a bike addiction problem. I have five bikes. Two of which I don't ride, one to eventually sell....( an extra small specialize sequoia espert) and a 1990's trek mountain bike. I also ride a specialize Ruby Expert and a Specialize full supension mtn bike. Now, the Ruby is light and so quick and responsive...BUT the LHT is so steady and COMFORTABLE. I am slower on the LHT but i feel, oh so much better riding my Surly Q (her name) than I do riding my Ruby. I think that maybe I should sell the Ruby, too.

So..just another good word for the Surly...this bike is one comfortable ride!

OMG!!! I want this!

Hi All,
    Ya'll are making me nuts! In a good way! I haven't even ridden one yet and I want one. I really, really want the LHT but I want the bigger wheels so I'm jonsing for the cross check. Actually, I'm obsessing about the cross check. I've already decided that I will make that bike fit if I have to!! Heck, I've hever even ridden a bike with drop handlebars before but I'm willing to learn...only on the cross check. I think I'm a little crazy about this. And thanks to whoever it was that mentioned they are sold in minneapolis. I have an uncle that lives in rochester, MN and I just might have to arrange to go visit him and have him take me to look at some surlys!!! Want surly will travel!!! hahaha
    Gray
    Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul.
    Walt Whitman

My blog: A Gamut of Interests

I have posted a few times about my LHT.... I love it! Just another vote in that direction... They are super fun (I actually likened the bike to my banana seat bike I had as a kid), and tough too

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Wow, Yen, what a journey you've had finding a bike that works for you. I love your analogies. What are you going to do with the Roubaix?

I'll be curious to see how you like the LHT. Hope things are good over on the BF50+. I haven't been there in a while.
    Wow, you have an excellent memory! Yes, it's been a journey. I plan to keep the Roubaix. It's a very nice bike, but I wouldn't consider it an all-purpose bike for me. For someone else I'm sure.... just not for me.

My husband was recently looking for a 'cross bike and considered the surly cross check, but in the end he decided to go with a used gunnar. The main reason is that the surlys are made from straight gauge chinese steel instead of reynolds 853 or true temper ox platinum. Another very competitively priced option is the Soma doublecross, which is made from Tange prestige tubing. The main issue with straight gauge compared to butted is that it is not as strong or light. Just something to think about.
    ...never met a bike that I didn't wanna ride.

Beane-

You're absolutely right, and we've been looking for a "better" frame than my Cross Check for my DH. However, I've seen some scary pictures of failed welds on SOMA's in my research (head tube sheared off), and apparently they don't really honor their warranty. One of our shop guys got one, though, and it's a pretty bike! The Gunnars have about a 20-25 pound weight limit on what the bike can carry, so you can't tour with it (or get groceries, really). SOMA is close to the same price as Surly, Gunnar is about 2x as I recall.

We're still looking

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

You're right, the gunnars do have a weight limit in terms of what they will warranty. I suppose if you are carrying tons of cargo weight you don't mind a few extra pounds of frame weight...

The difference is about .8 pounds on the frame. Not sure about the fork.

Anybody know of a frameset built of the higher quality steel alloys that doesn't have a reputation for failure (SOMA) and doesn't have a low weight limit (Gunnar)? Preferably within a budget

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

not really an answer, but some AMAZING photos (and crazy people!)

http://www.fullyloadedtouring.com/

Just thought I'd add I'm getting an LHT - 42 in green. I should be getting it in about 3 weeks. I'm so excited.

Surly... it's not just a brand of bikes ;-)

I converted to a Cross-Check back the first of August, and if there's a bike that does everything, the C-C is it...

LHT 4 me

I also love my LHT it is comfortable and I can ride on all surfaces. I have a Tubus front and rear rack and now am using only the rear rack. It also sports yellow Ortlieb panniers when I need them. Mine is blue and my twins is sage green and my brother-in-laws is blue.a family of LHT's.

Pictures please

How about a group "Surly Family" photo
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Good idea I will work on that!

here is mine

My LHT in the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oct 08 004.JPG 
Views:	778 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	8486