Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sidi shoe question.

To disable ads, please log-in.

While looking for a bike, I've tried on many shoes and feel so nice in the Sidis. I'm choosing between Genius 5 and Raiden. The Raidens cost a lot less (and I could use that savings to justify buying a more expensive bike). Anyone have experience with the two? Are the Geniuses that much better?

I think I've answered my own question and decided that I'm going for the genius 5 shoe. I figure it's best to spend the money now than to buy another and worry about it later. I almost went for another brand because I loved the color, but I have only heard people raving about Sidi (and basic black is always a good choice). Anyone have any other brand they absolutely love?

Go with the Genius

I just purchased a pair of Sidi's myself. Probably my best cycling purchase to date, whith the exception of my bike. I have larger than average feet for a woman so I had to go to a man's shoe. I ended up purchasing the Genius 6.6 carbon. Not a cheap purchase, but a great one. The fit is exceptional and I feel as though with the stiffness of the sole, I get much more power to the pedals. Any Sidi would probably be a great shoe. But for me, the light weight of the carbon sole and the overall fit made the price worth it for me.

Is that a picture of the shoe? They sure are pretty... much prettier than the Genius 5. The last thing I need to do right now is spend more money, but I'm tempted. I tried on many shoes while deciding, and the Sidi shoes were by far the most comfortable.

The Sidi 6.6

Yes, that is the shoe. I just looked at the "5". That is also a nice shoe. They do make a 6.6 version in a woman's shoe. But as you probably saw, they are not a cheap model. I was fortunate enough to find my online at westernbikeworks.com for $60. less than anywhere else. Even with shipping costs, I still saved $50. If you do decide to go with the "5", check out westernbikeworks.com. Your shoe is only $179. there. And even if you get them shipped 2nd day, it is only $10 more. Let me know what you decide.

Karen

P.S Only use your local store to find the right size. Then go online and search for the best price possible. You may be glad you did.
    Last edited by Kuota Rider; 07-25-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Just a little more info

Quote Originally Posted by TrekRider View Post
    P.S Only use your local store to find the right size. Then go online and search for the best price possible. You may be glad you did.
    Bet your LBS loves you...

Quote Originally Posted by SR500 View Post
    Once they detect that pattern (in about a second) bet their service is real good when you need work on the bike.

I am considering (with much regret) selling my Sidis. I'll post it on TE. Size 38, the Blue ones.

They fit like bunny slippers on my left foot but not on the right
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I too am lusting after Sidi genius 5's. I called several BS's that were listed as carriers. Only 1 shop (2 hours away) actually had them in stock, the rest were all order only (mens shoes were in stock at all of these stores). the BS said, all sizes available. Drove 2 hours, with bike in back seat, only to come home empty handed. My size was not in stock, so I ordered a pair. 2 weeks ago, still no call from bike shop. Said it would take 2 days. I even tried on cheaper shoes, mistake was trying on the Sidi's first, then trying on others. Not the same. I am in love with those shoes. SO, I'm up in the air as to wait or call another bike shop that is 1 hour away that I've dealt with before to order me in a pair, of course, the lucky winner also gets to sell me a pair of pedals too .

Quote Originally Posted by SR500 View Post
    Hey....when I can save $60.00 on the exact same pair of shoes, I really don't care what my LBS thinks of me. Perhaps they should try to be more competitive.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Once they detect that pattern (in about a second) bet their service is real good when you need work on the bike.

I am considering (with much regret) selling my Sidis. I'll post it on TE. Size 38, the Blue ones.

They fit like bunny slippers on my left foot but not on the right
    And again, I tried them on once, and....they didn't even have my size. I actually tried on a different style shoe just to get my size. So not only were they $60. more, they didn't have my size in stock. And as for the bike service, I bought the bike from them, (a $2900.00 purchase, so they aren't too sad) but I use a small shop for that. I would rather give my money to the small local guy than the corporation.
    But thanks for your concern for my LBS. You guys are toooooo funny!

Quote Originally Posted by shellyj View Post
    I too am lusting after Sidi genius 5's. My size was not in stock, so I ordered a pair. 2 weeks ago, still no call from bike shop. Said it would take 2 days.
    Apparently this is a common problem. The LBS that I tried to order them from first said exactly the same thing. "Oh it will only be a couple of days". Well, in that couple of days which has now been 2 weeks, I found the shoes online (for $60. less) have taken several rides in the shoes that I ordered on line and already received and still haven't received a call from my "trusty" LBS to say the shoes are in. I think if they want to continue to receive money from me for anything, they need to step up to the plate a little better. Especially when it comes to me making a $400. purchase. You think they would try a little harder.

I ended up having the same issue. I tried the G5's first and loved them, but my lbs didn't have my size. They said 7-10 days to order (at $199), but that would mean another weekend without riding. I tried other shoes, but none felt as good. I had already made my boyfriend wait a week after he bought his bike before I bought mine. And, I was super-excited about getting started. I called many local stores, but could only find them in white or red, but I wanted the black. I found lot's of men's and other colors on line for $179 and $189 (thanks for the tip trekrider). Eventually, I just went with amazon and second-day shipping. They were $220 total, but at least I got to ride today. Considering I've dropped almost $3000 at the lbs over the last two weeks, I think they'll understand!

Shellij- I just got back from my first ride (details on another post), but the shoes were absolutely comfortable. Personally, I think they were worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    I found lot's of men's and other colors on line for $179 and $189 (thanks for the tip trekrider). Eventually, I just went with amazon and second-day shipping. They were $220 total, but at least I got to ride today. Considering I've dropped almost $3000 at the lbs over the last two weeks, I think they'll understand!
    Im glad I was able to help. I read about your ride on your other post. I also asked about your shoes there. So since I read this now, obviously there is no need for you to answer me there.

Enjoy your time riding. I am still trying to get the the "enjoyment" part. Cuz damn! It still hurts while I'm riding. I guess I'm just getting old. Takes the ol' parts a little longer to warm up. We were supposed to do a 55mi ride today but the hubby isn't feeling well (snoozin' on the couch even as I type this). Well maybe we can get out tomorrow.

Take care Aly,
    Karen

Karen- I hope you make it out tomorrow. I can't wait to be able to do 55mi.- that seems so far off... By the way, where are you in California? We're in LA, but eventually we hope to travel a little to ride. I really want to ride the cenral coast.

Exclamation Aly - Check your email

I sent you a response via email as opposed to posting. Hope you don't mind
    Karen