Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Any helmet for narrower heads?

I've been trying to replace a dangerously over-used 12-year-old Giro Ventoux helmet (wayyy before RocLoc was invented), but everything I've tried looks like a styrofoam weather balloon on my head.

Here's a key problem: I'll find helmets that fit front-to-back, but are so loose on the sides (by my ears) that the helmet rocks. Giro seems particularly bad this way -- I've tried several models, including the Atmos and Pneumo. The Skyla looked like a construction hard hat (seemed to ride above rather than on my head).

I've heard that Rudy Project and/or Limar run smaller. Has anyone noticed whether these helmets are less, well, pumpkin-shaped?

Have you tried the Bell Sweep R (no visor) or Sweep XC (w/removable visor)? The Bell X-Ray is also nice -- used by the Kenda Seven MTB team, I believe.

Trek helmets might also fit, although they're not usually as sleek and compact as Giro Atmos and Bell Sweep. But their sizing is a little different, so it might work for you. There's also Laser, which is kind of expensive but has a cool little feature which is that the adjusting wheel is on top of the helmet -- makes it really easy to fix on the fly.

I know someone who had a similar problem to yours. A medium helmet was too small and a large was too large, and he solved it by using Trek and Laser's M/L size.

You can also try filling in the sides with those little blue pads that come with the helmet.

Hope this helps,

Cari

I have the same problem, a "streamlined" head so that most helmets end up rocking side to side. You could stick Powerbars between the sides of my head and the sides of the helmet, just about!

Bell is nearly the only helmet that truly fits my head, and I've worn Bell since the first white hard-shells came out in the 70's/80's. I did have one Specialized "Mountain Man" helmet for a while, but then went back to Bell.

Right now I have a Bell Citi, with a nice rounded shape (no faux aerodynamic spike in the rear) and in a bright visible yellow. Great helmet, nice fit for my head, and not too expensive.

I wrote a review of it somewhere...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Rudy vs Garneau

A quick note about Rudy helmet fit...I have a Rudy Ayron+ & it's fit is definitely much wider "side to side" compared to my Louis Garneau Aki and an older Louis Garneau helmet (model unknown) that I have.

p.s. pumpkin shaped

p.s. - the rudy ayron is less pumpkin shaped BUT the cool look comes at a cost. The nifty aero extension at the back of the helmet changes the weight distriubtion of the helmet...which can make your traps/shoulders fatigue/tighten a little faster.

I have a similarly shaped head and have also found that the Bell helmets work the best for fit. I tried a bunch of Giro's and none of them worked. I also tried Specialized and LG, and neither of them worked either. I currently have a Giant Ares that is *decent* (ie. no actual rocking but it's a little tight front-to-back because I sized down for the side issue) but it's not ideal.

I think that for my next helmet, I'll go back to Bell.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have an incredibly small head and I am happy with the Bell Sweep, with the visor taken off. When it gets hot, I even have to loosen the dial in the back! Also, I like it because i can wear it with my beanie underneath in the cold weather and it doesn't take a lot of adjustment.