Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    ... I haven't ridden in the rain since BikeMomma and I's hammerfest with the Sierra Nevada boy and the gimp gang from Cali. At least there was no 45 mph decent in a downpour with a nice crosswind blowing us into oncoming traffic
    Was that really the last time you rode in the rain? Geeeez, Dan the Man! You need to get out and ride more often! That WAS a fun ride, er - I think. Except for almost getting blown off the road about 50 ba-jillion times and feeling like I was in a hurricane with rain-driven sheets of rain pelting my frozen cheeks, plus having to squeeze water out of every last piece of clothing I was wearing, sure -- it was fun. Ah, fond memories....

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Used to, this year they used the county fairgrounds. Cinderella never said why the mil base did not renew the agreement and it was down to the last minute. Maybe they feared all us militant women on bicycles would be a security threat.
    Thanks for mentioning that Trek...'ya beat me to it. So, that's another idea, just in case the naval base doesn't work out: fairgrounds. There was plenty of parking for all the participants down here at the Cindy, and the hall they used had plenty of room for the after-ride eats. The horseracing track on the fairgrounds was an added personal bonus. Bikes & horses together in one place -- made BikeMomma very happy.

Another idea El Hombre: get local sports/hiking/bike shops, Pearl Izumi or Nike etc. outlets, frame builders (i.e. Vanilla), nutrition bar & other sports-oriented vendors (ahem....TE??) together and have a mini sports/bike expo. Also, bike jewelry makers are a hit at these things. All you need to do is set aside an area for all the sales tents, give them power for their cash registers, laptops, and credit card swipers, and let 'em have at it.

~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma View Post
    Was that really the last time you rode in the rain? Geeeez, Dan the Man! You need to get out and ride more often! That WAS a fun ride, er - I think. Except for almost getting blown off the road about 50 ba-jillion times and feeling like I was in a hurricane with rain-driven sheets of rain pelting my frozen cheeks, plus having to squeeze water out of every last piece of clothing I was wearing, sure -- it was fun. Ah, fond memories....

Thanks for mentioning that Trek...'ya beat me to it. So, that's another idea, just in case the naval base doesn't work out: fairgrounds. There was plenty of parking for all the participants down here at the Cindy, and the hall they used had plenty of room for the after-ride eats. The horseracing track on the fairgrounds was an added personal bonus. Bikes & horses together in one place -- made BikeMomma very happy.

Another idea El Hombre: get local sports/hiking/bike shops, Pearl Izumi or Nike etc. outlets, frame builders (i.e. Vanilla), nutrition bar & other sports-oriented vendors (ahem....TE??) together and have a mini sports/bike expo. Also, bike jewelry makers are a hit at these things. All you need to do is set aside an area for all the sales tents, give them power for their cash registers, laptops, and credit card swipers, and let 'em have at it.

~BikeMomma
    My favorite memory of that ride was after we turned around and began the LONG SLOW slog back up hill. I was so cold I remember very seriously wanting to just lay down and take a nap. I'd probably still be out there. I remember getting home, pouring water out of my cleats and drilling drain holes in the bottoms

A local shop has been contacted and we'll work on a few more vendors.

I'm not sure how good of an option the Naval Station will be.

There isn't really a big, empty lot we could use, particularly now that the Lincoln has moved back in from PSNSY.

I can find out what National Guard Armories are in the area and see which, if any would be suitable.

The questions we probably need to answer are

1) Realistically, how many riders can we expect?
    2) What are the local regulations regarding permits, coordination with local authorities?
    3) Insurance requirements? Where can we get it, how much will it cost and who will foot the bill up front?
    4) Schwag. Can't forget that
    5) Advertising
    6) What sort of ride will this be? Competitive or just a fun ride? (probably should be question number 1).
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

I might be able to help you with the insurance requirements. I've found out recently that you can get event insurance if you register as a club with USACycling and it is extremely resonable $2 per person (can be rolled into the registration fee) and $25 for the event. It sounds implausible, but they make it work. That is for a race - it might even be less, considering that it is a fun ride. You do have to register a club with USACycling, but that is fairly simple and only costs $150. I can look up more information on this if you'd like.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Anyone up for a ride and planning meeting on Sunday?

is this still being considered/planned?

Is this ride still in the works or has it bonked already?

You know, at the expo i saw some gals advertising a woman's only ride that went around Lake Sammamish...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    You know, at the expo i saw some gals advertising a woman's only ride that went around Lake Sammamish...
    I missed the Lake Samm one...but saw the vela bella women's ride - the one that's associated with the alefest ride out of Leavenworth...it's up around or near Lake Wenatchee, I think, but it's in August, so it conflicts with when I'll be in NY.

I'll just sent an email to Dan to tell him you gals want an update (heck, I do too!). The last I heard, he said that the first year would be starting off alot smaller than first thought, mainly to work out any unforseen bugs before inviting masses of riders. After that, they may go bigger with the second year. Understandable and wise, I think.

That's pretty much all I know, sorry. I'm still wanting to drive up, I know that!

cya,
    BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Well, I'm really alert...I missed BOTH the Lake Samm and the Vela Bella stuff. Arghh.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMomma View Post
    I'll just sent an email to Dan to tell him you gals want an update (heck, I do too!). The last I heard, he said that the first year would be starting off alot smaller than first thought, mainly to work out any unforseen bugs before inviting masses of riders. After that, they may go bigger with the second year. Understandable and wise, I think.

That's pretty much all I know, sorry. I'm still wanting to drive up, I know that!

cya,
    BikeMomma

Thanks...just thought I'd check, as I saw that the last post was in October...?

I'm still game to get this launched. I guess what we need to do first is pick a date and start planning around that date. Does anyone have any preferences for a date?

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    I'm still game to get this launched. I guess what we need to do first is pick a date and start planning around that date. Does anyone have any preferences for a date?
    Starting small is good and re: a date - I'd suggest checking on those other women's rides that are planned, so as to not conflict date-wise. I think that the one near Leavenworth/Lake Wenatchee area - the Vela Bella - is planned for sometime in August, and I'm in NY doing the AIDS ride then, so I had already known that I wouldn't be participating.

If the first year will be starting small, how about 1 short route and 1 a bit longer, so the need for SAG vehicles, multiple rest stops or anything other than minimal, is necessary? Minimal doesn't mean no or poor support, just should be able to be done well and then build on it for future growth?

August is out for sure. I'll be at the Worlds Aug. 14-17. I was thinking sometime towards the end of July. How does that work?

sure, July works and we can count on good weather, generally then, too. Best to firm up the date as soon as you can, so that it can be publicized and people can note it on their calendars.