Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Specialized Ruby anyone?

I'm getting a new bike. Woo Hoo! I'm looking at the Ruby but I know nothing about bikes, really. Is this a good one? I'm training for a triathlon and the bike I have is so uncomfortable that I'm miserable on it. I went to the bike shop and the guy said the specialized line of bikes for women are great. I couldn't ride it yesteday because I had my 5 year old with me but am going back today.

Anyone have any pros/cons for this bike?

Thanks in advance,
    Jelaine

I have a Specialized Ruby Pro. I absolutely love the bike. I had 2005 Dolce Comp which I also loved riding. Both bikes are very responsive, handle the road great and fit me like a glove. The only reason I got the Ruby was because I wanted something more forgiving on not so great roads. With the carbon I found I do not "kerplunk" over bumpy roads.

All the road bikes in my family are by Specialized as my husband believes they make a great bike and get the most in components for your money. I can honestly say you can not go wrong with the brand. This is my/our opinion anyway.

~ JoAnn

I have the Ruby Expert. It is a great bike! I had also tried the Dolce and liked it as well.

It is a carbon frame bike and smooth - but not nearly as smooth as my old LeMond Zurich steel bike. It is much faster and fits better, though.

Good luck deciding - not an easy task!

Catherine

I recently got the Ruby Pro. It is one sweet bike. It's a little on the expensive side so you might want to consider the Ruby Expert. It's a really good bike too...either way I don't think you can go wrong.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

The one I'm looking at is the Ruby Expert Triple, I think. Yesterday when I went to the LBS I didn't have any idea I was even getting a bike; so, I hadn't done any research. Based on price, I'm assuming it's an expert since it's $2,900. Was this model new for 2006? Are the 2007 models out?

It is one BEAUTIFUL bike. It just looks fast. I can't wait to try it out. I'm so excited!!!!

Has anyone tried the Specialized tri shoe? I didn't try it on yesterday, either and have no idea what kind of clips to try. Maybe I'll just get the bike and get used to it and then try clips.

I'm not usually an impulse buyer when it comes to big purchases but I suddenly have BIKE FEVER!

Jelaine

Quote Originally Posted by dabunnytoo View Post
    The one I'm looking at is the Ruby Expert Triple, I think. Yesterday when I went to the LBS I didn't have any idea I was even getting a bike; so, I hadn't done any research. Based on price, I'm assuming it's an expert since it's $2,900. Was this model new for 2006? Are the 2007 models out?

It is one BEAUTIFUL bike. It just looks fast. I can't wait to try it out. I'm so excited!!!!

Has anyone tried the Specialized tri shoe? I didn't try it on yesterday, either and have no idea what kind of clips to try. Maybe I'll just get the bike and get used to it and then try clips.

I'm not usually an impulse buyer when it comes to big purchases but I suddenly have BIKE FEVER!

Jelaine

The 2007 are out since I believe last August. What color is it. This years Ruby Expert is Carbon/Silver. I do not remember what color it was for 2006. By now most companies probably have limited supply of 2007 models. If I am not correct with this info, anyone, please feel free to correct me.

LOL...it doesn't take much to get bike fever Wait until you actually get your bike!!!!!

~ JoAnn

I bought a Ruby Comp last year. Love the ride; the carbon really seems to smooth out the bumps.

KB

I've done test rides of both the Expert and the Pro. I didn't notice much difference in the feel between the two when I was out on the short ride (but the gearheads go on and on and on about the components and slightly-lighter frame and such), but both felt utterly amazing. I myself am saving up and will likely spring for a Pro as soon as I can!

-- gnat!

I have the Roubaix Elite -- "mens" or "unisex" version of the Ruby, I understood. I was looking at the Dolce as my first road bike and loved the ride, but she was a bit crowded, I guess. I followed her up by trying the Allez and was happy with the fit, but then there was the Roubaix, last year's or maybe the year before model, and she had the triple I felt was important, along with a GREAT price, and all the rest of the stuff that was especially good about her (components were better than on either of the others, and the price was darned close to the same!!)

So, if you find that the fit's a bit snug, you might give that model a try!

Karen in Boise

I'll be test riding one tomorrow. And since I looked at it in the shop yesterday, I've had the "Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby... Do ya do ya do ya do ya?!" song in my head

Well, I rode the Ruby expert today! It was so different from the bike I'm riding now that it felt very awkward at first. It started to feel better after a few turns around the parking lot. But then the bike guy and my husband both said it was too small for me. It is a 54. I test rode a 56 but it was a Dolce. I'm such a novice I can't tell which bike fits me better. My husband and the bike guy both said the bigger bike; so, I guess the bigger bike it is. BUT they don't HAVE a 56. It certainly did go fast VVVRRRRRROOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

Jelaine

I love my Specialized

Hubby and I just bought our first road bikes - been where you've been!!
    I have the Dolce Elite. I loved the while & purple. Rode the Ruby and it was awesome - just too much $$ for our first bikes.
    I'm 5'4", and am on the Medium frame (about a 52 I guess). One shop wanted me to get the Small Frame, another said I could even go to the Large. I was most comfy on the medium, so that's what we bought.
    My best advice is to be patient, ride a lot of bikes, and go with the one you love.

Well, I did it! I bought an Expert in a 54!!!! I got cleats, too!!! I was a little nervous about clipping in and out but so far so good. By the time I got my bike home today it was too late to ride very much but I am really looking forward to my ride in the morning!! I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!

Oh, and did I say WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

VVVVVRRRRROOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jelaine

Smile

Yippeee! Yahooo! Woopeee! I have a Ruby Expert and I love love love my Ruby. Congrats and pics when you can.

Congratulations! Happy riding!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896