Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Curves?

Curves?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anybody here do Curves, or have you?

I joined a few years ago and I think it may have helped my energy levels and it was probably good cardio, but I never felt like I was really getting my muscles the kind of workout that I needed. Even though I was horribly out of shape, I never once had a muscle ache or felt any kind of even mild burn that made me think I was doing myself any good.

I let it slide.

I know a lot of women who love Curves, and I would have kept it up if I really was sure it was helping. (As far as that goes, I know it was in general; I just didn't feel like it was doing enough.)

Do you do Curves? Have you? What do you think?

I've considered joining again because it's an easy bike ride away and it would be another way to move, but then I think the 30 minutes would be better spent riding!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I had an old co-worker who decided to buy a Curves franchise, she asked me to donate my time to certify her staff in First Aid & CPR. When I showed up to do the training we had to start out with a prayer, I explained that I'm not a christian and wasn't comfortable with that, she took me aside and explained that Curves is a company founded by conservative christians and she wants to support their ideals. We agreed to disagree and I told her I would train her staff once they were done praying. She offered me a free membership and I declined, I choose not to give the illusion that I support the ideals espoused by the founders.

As far as the workout goes, it's a fine (well structured) 30 minute program for those so inclined.

Electra Townie 7D

Ouch.

I think the woman was going a bit overboard, as I have been in more than one Curves facility and never once did I see anything like that, nor did I get the feeling that the owner/managers were emphasizing anything like that. In fact I recall hearing a discussion in which they joked about not being open on Sunday so they could sleep late on Sunday morning!

One woman talked about bringing her daughter to Curves, but her daughter didn't think it was enough of a workout, which made me wonder if Curves is aimed at people who are very much out of shape, but once people start to get in better shape they need to switch to a regular gym....

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Most women who are serious about physical training outgrow Curves rather quickly.

I too have heard unpleasant things about the political philosophy of the CEO. Ot at least things that I strongly disagree with.

Pooks, I am not a certified trainer (although always wanted to get certified) however I been working out for over 7 years in the gym. All I can tell you that if you don't feel challenged enough then it's not worth it. What's the point of doing a 30min workout where you don't feel like you worked your muscle? You can do a more productive work in just 15 minutes that can wear you out. I am in the gym about 3-4 times a week and like to work with weights and also take spin classes. If you don't have gym membership I suggest picking up couple of sets of weights and at least do basic exercises for all major muscle groups like biceps, triceps, shoulders, your quads and hamstrings, buttocks,etc. Try to eliminated as many isolated exercises as possible, meaning exercise that targets only one group of muscles. I do this at home on weekends and I still managed to be sore next day.

My mom was a very enthusiastic Curves member, until she found out about the founder's political/social bent, and what happens to the $$ earned by the company.

So she didn't continue.

Her daughter is more important to her than a workout.

And so far in the U.S., customers have the freedom to make that choice. My brother is serving in the military to protect your freedom to make your choices. Do your part to protect your freedoms, too. Educate yourself about where your money goes and how it is spent after it leaves your hand. And please thank a veteran, even if you don't agree with the politics that put him or her in harm's way. Memorial day isn't just about barbeques and sales at the mall.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-25-2007 at 07:56 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I'm not a big fan of Curves.

They don't use weights, their machines use hydraulic resistance.
    From what I've seen Curves is largely a social venue. Anyone who is truly serious and dedicated would soon outgrow it.

But any exercise is better than none.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Curves

I have gone to Curves and very much liked the aspect of having a women's only fitness center. It was a very upbeat place and I can't say one negative thing about it. I made many friends, improved my self outlook, and it was the first step in fitness that I took after having kids. It was a great first step toward cycling.
    As far as the founders beliefs in Christianity and what he does with his money - so what? I also shop at Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, Chevron, Flying J, and the mom and pop stores. I am sure that by shopping there I pay wages of people who are Mormon, Buddhist, Atheist, Scientologist, etc and etc. They most likely use a portion of their wages to support their beliefs as well. You can't get away from this unless you live in a compound, grow your own food, and become a hermit. We are a diverse Nation. Embrace it. If you don't want to pray, don't. Christianity advocates free choice. I am sure that the owner would understand.
    I hope that you enjoy curves and have fun with it, I sure did.

I was a member of Curves for about a year, a couple years ago. I did like that it was a chain and that when I travelled I could at least go and get a quick workout in. But, I also enjoyed running sometimes and cycling, I felt like it didn't work me like I wanted and I didn't really like that you only had 30 seconds... I ended up not enjoying the format and I didn't lose weight. I don't think that my body composition changed much while I was there either.

Ultimately it was time that I could spend running or cycling. I signed up for spin classes this year and have enjoyed that way more. Even then after 40 minutes I don't feel like I've done enough either.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Curves.

They don't use weights, their machines use hydraulic resistance.
    From what I've seen Curves is largely a social venue. Anyone who is truly serious and dedicated would soon outgrow it.

But any exercise is better than none.
    Women (and men) moving around is a good thing, whatever shows them it can be fun, sociable, get away from the screen...it's all good.

As long as nobody is telling me how to pray, what to believe think and do, I'm good.

I think about where my meager funds go. Major purchases like those I'll soon be embroiled in remodeling the house I look if the company is listed on www.bluefund.com. I get the local strawberries over the ones flown in. If there's a Fair Trade option I get that.

I'm about as politically correct as they get.

But we know or are ourselves riders who would not throw ourselves into a ride with the local hammerheads especially if you're just starting out. So there are women (and men) who would not feel comfortable in a mixed gym full of gym bunnies and ripped men.

For them Curves may be a good place to start.

Or just take a walk or slow ride with friends. But where's the money in that?
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-25-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

My 2 cents

I joined Curves about 18 months ago, to get back in the swing of exercising. At first, it felt good, like I was pushing myself. But it did not take long to lose that feeling. If you are working and commuting, I had a difficult time getting there before they closed, and their morning hours were too late for someone trying to get to the office. When I wanted to use another Curves facility, I had to get a "permission slip" only good for 30 days, although it was not truly enforced. Hopefully, they have linked their computers, so they can track your visits to any location. Also, I had fulfill a one year commitment, and was only able to cancel through registered letter or hand-delivered letter. No e-mail or phone call.
    That being said, if it gets you moving, why not.
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

My 2 Cents

I have never been a member of Curves but I can tell you my experience. I have been working out at home, 2 days weight training w/stability ball, 3 days cardio (bike of course!). A girlfriend of mine works out at Curves 3xwk. We both had kids at the same time. I have much more muscle tone and lost more weight than she. Of course, there are many variables to account for, but my friend continues to go but complains that she is not seeing the results she wanted.

My suggestions: find what works for you. I hired a personal trainer (who is also a licensed dietitian specializing in adult weight management) to assist with developing my fitness plan. He came to my house to develop a program with my current exercise equipment. He was there twice and cost me $250 for two one hour visits. Money well spent. The personal tips/hints and suggestions for alternate routines keeps the workout fresh.

Also, I have a few DVDs that have given me great results. They are the core secret videos with Gunnar Peterson. I love them. He explains and demonstrates the exercise then you join in. Easy to follow and use.

I would not join a gym, not just Curves, no gym. I am too lazy to drive somewhere after I spent 9 hours at work. I just want to go home, so I workout at home.