Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

Please keep us up to date on the B-67. I'm seriously considering it for my Breezer. What kind of seatpost do you use?

I have a plain ol' Kona post that came with my bike. The B67 doesn't require an adapter or "seat sandwich", but the B72 does. The B67 should fit my post just fine. Quillfred was having some trouble with her Brooks racing saddle and the smaller post her cyclocross bike came with. Might want to check with her and see how that turned out.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I just got my Brooks B67! Got here very quickly.

Oh, wow! This is the coolest thing! I am in awe!

First, it was very easy to put on my bike. It fit my micro-adjust seat post just fine, and adjusting the tilt and fore-aft was simple. The new leather is hard, like thick cardboard, and slippery. I'll proofhide it later today. The black seat, frame, and springs match my bike and it doesn't look at all funny or dorky.

Riding on it was amazing. I've never sat on a seat that instantly felt so great! And it's not even broken in yet. The leather doesn't feel hard when you're on it. Yes, it's slippery, but it's a minor issue that will fade and it didn't really effect the ride. My sit bones were happy, there was no discomfort in the "soft" tissues, and it was just so COMFORTABLE.

The nose is nice and narrow and doesn't interfere with pedalling at all. The change from sit area to nose is very abrupt, so I had none of the pinchy-rubbing of the insides of my thighs against a gradual change in width that I usually get when I pedal. I didn't notice the springs at all. No bounce. I think they did make the ride smoother, though.

The really wild thing is the difference I felt in my shoulders and neck! My arms and shoulders were so relaxed, and the little headache/neckache I usually get just never showed up.

I had no idea how uncomfortable my "comfortable" saddle was until I put the Brooks on my bike. It's like having a whole new bike, that fits me a bazillion times better and is a whole lot smoother.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Ah, another convert.

Just for fun (for you Brooks Believers) go to the Surly Long Haul Trucker owners' group site, and see how many of those folks put Brooks on their bikes!

http://surlyville.net/surlylht/

this is one of the bikes I'm considering for my "Dream Tourer". Along with Jamis Aurora, Soma Double Cross, and Burley Vagabond.

eagerly awaiting my new Brooks...

My new Brooks saddle is due to arrive today via FedEx Ground. After the last go-round with that awful Selle San Marco Nelson Lady, I decided to just go ahead and try the Brooks, even though they were out of the one I originally planned on getting (B17S, regular black). So I ordered the Team Pro S, in the presoftened black. I am *really* hoping that this is the ticket <fingers crossed>

good luck, WrensMom.
    I look forward to hearing about how this saddle works out for you!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

me too! My B67 (for the wide-of-sit-bones) salutes your Team Pro S!

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a B17. I have no idea what saddle is on my Bianchi, it's some no-name brand. (I'm sure it has a name, but it's something like "ABC" or "XYZ"..) I've been somewhat in denial about the soreness from it, because, well, I didn't get sore on my old Bianchi, and it had one of those darned tough leather seats! Gosh darn it.

So it occured to me to research leather saddles. (well Duh) After reading this thread 3 or 4 times, I bought a B17 today. I'll report on it as soon as it gets here.

I sent an email to the company to ask a question. In the reply, the fellow mentioned I might look up a site called Team Estrogen, because their forum has informative discussions about saddles! From half-way around the world... what did we ever do without the internet, I ask ya.

-Amy

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund

I sent an email to the company to ask a question. In the reply, the fellow mentioned I might look up a site called Team Estrogen, because their forum has informative discussions about saddles! From half-way around the world... what did we ever do without the internet, I ask ya.

-Amy
    Didja buy from Wallbike?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Yes, ma'am.

KnottedYet--So how wide are your sit bones? I am really hoping that the 177mm of the Team Pro S will work for me, as my bones are at 159mm. My DH said that he would ridicule me if I got a saddle with springs!

the springs mockers in my club quit mocking my springs when they saw me sit for 100 miles in one day on a new saddle without any discernable discomfort. Further dampening their case against my saddle was when another couple got brooks front and back on their tandem.

Now (get this!) my husband wants a B67 too!! he is going to sell his b17 so he can "move up" to the real thing.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

and the verdict is...

Well, actually, I don't know what the verdict is yet. I can feel that I am on my sit bones, so that's a good thing, but it still seems like I am smashing the girly-bits also to a degree. Since the saddle is convex, I think the bones are sitting lower than the bits, hence the smashing Even tho the stated width of the saddle is 177, and my bones are at 159, the "usable" sit bone distance on it appears to be quite a bit less than 177--so frustrating--I wish these saddle makers would say what the maximum usable sit bone distance is on these things; that would make choosing one a lot easier. Anyway, I only rode it a short way (had to get back to my toddler), and since Wallingford has the 6 month return policy, I plan on giving it a serious try before I really decide. I will fiddle around with the adjustments and see if I can get it in a position that works. So, Mimi, I may have to face the spring-mockers after all

Hey Mimi, another question--do you have a B67 on your Bianchi, or only on your tandem? There is this part of me that just really wants my Veloce to stay "cool", if you know what I mean But of course comfort is paramount to coolness, in the real world--wish I could have it both ways!