Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

what to wear in 40 degree temps????

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a newbie, just starting out, I live in Michigan. What type of clothing should I be wearing when temperatures are in the 40s? Right now I don't have any cycling clothing, just sweats, nylon warm up pants, some fleece shirts, jackets. What should I be purchasing first? Thank you

Look on TE for winter tights. Wear your cycling knickers or shorts under the tights for another layer. If the temp goes into the 30s, wear long thermal underwear as the first layer, the kind designed for cross-sports such as skiing.

For the top, start with a long-sleeve jersey for winter wear - your choice. If it is raining, wear a cycling rain coat. If it isn't, wear a cycling zip jacket. If the temperature is in the 30s, add a thermal top as the first layer.

Wear wool socks, with maybe another layer of thin socks underneath, depending on what you can squeeze into your shoes.

For cycling gloves, get the all-winter full finger gloves with water and wind protection, such as Pearl Izumi.

Then when the temps warm up, wear a short sleeve jersey with your shorts or knickers. When the temps get higher as the summer progresses, wear a sleeveless jersey with the shorts, and put away the knickers until autumn.

Darcy

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    I'm a newbie, just starting out, I live in Michigan. What type of clothing should I be wearing when temperatures are in the 40s? Right now I don't have any cycling clothing, just sweats, nylon warm up pants, some fleece shirts, jackets. What should I be purchasing first? Thank you
    If Spring is almost there in Michigan...you may not need to buy a lot of cool weather gear until Fall. ONce you warm up on the bike,it doesn't take much to keep warm in the 40's. If you plan on rides of more than 10 miles, you might want to get some shorts or knickers/capris with chamois pads. TE has a great selection, plus they always have sale items. Click on the "Click to Shop" link at the top of this page.
    You can wear knickers for both Spring and Fall, so they are versatile. You may need chamois shorts for the hot summer. You can also get non-chamois pair of tights to wear over the chamois shorts in the 40's.
    You might want to buy one longsleeve lightweight merino wool crew neck base layer shirt from TE or Smartwool. That will keep you nice and warm in the 40's under any other sweatshirt or jacket you might wear. 100% wool also won't smell when you sweat like polyester jerseys do. The new micro weight merino products are pretty soft and thin and non-itchy against the skin. Snuggly!
    Windbreakers and/or wind/rain jackets are a good thing. A windbreaker will pack light and keep you warm in the wind you create while riding.
    You need a helmet of course.
    Fingerless biking gloves are comfy if you do longer rides, but are not essential.
    If your hands are cold, get some long fingered bike gloves, or even any heavy glove with a leather palm on the outside to grip the handlebars.

Nothing is really cheap, so just try to buy a little at a time and build up your biking wardrobe slowly if you need to.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a nice pair of knickers and use legwarmers with them. And full-fingered gloves. I've found that if my fingers are cold, I can't think of anything else!

I think it all depends on how cold sensitive you are. I'm a weather weenie so I put on all the warm stuff I have when temps dip into the upper 40's (I don't ride when it is below 45 degrees or so). When it is "cold" out I put on a base t-shirt, arm warmers, a long sleeved winter jersey, a wind jacket, ear muffs, bike shorts, leger warmers, wind tights, wool tights if needed, wool socks, shoe covers, glove liners, wind proof gloves and I add hand and feet warmers to my gloves and shoes as well. Like I said I'm a weather weenie.

My BF on the other hand wears his jersey, a wind jacket, shorts, knee warmers (maybe wool tights if the wind is pulling the temps down), wool socks and his shoes - seems so unfair to me.

Think about how you dress if you skate on local ponds in Michigan - how do you handle the cold while skating or ice fishing? Watch for sales as the the bike shops try to reduce winter inventories you should be able to pick up a few things pretty cheap this time of year. I started purchasing stuff a couple of years ago and add to my winter collection in the spring (this year it was a new winter jersey and wool socks).
    Marcie

I'd start by purchacing shorts (get ones that fit well with reasonably good chamois pads).

If you have any kind of athletic tights anywhere in your closet, odds are you'll be okay layering tights over a decent pair of cycling shorts. In the 40's you'll need tights, but you don't have to buy fancy cycling tights to start (as nice as they are).

You definitely need to get cycling shorts and/or knickers and/or tights first, because you're going to need the padding. Beyond that, it varies. The coldest I've ridden in is upper 40s, and I wore wool tights over cycling knickers and a merino wool long-sleeved jersey under a fleece vest, a buff to keep my neck warm, and cycling gloves with full fingers.

I was plenty warm and as the day heated up into the 50s I shed the wool tights and fleece vest and buff.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I LOVE my Pearl Izumi Amfib tights with waterproof/windproof panels on the fronts. They were expensive, but I wear them ALL the time. They are supposedly just for heavy winter time, but I am a weenie and wear them a LOT.

On my feet in those temps, I wear wool socks, and I also have a pair of wind/water proof Calientoes toe covers on my shoes, PLUS a pair of neoprene full booties on over that!

I want some nice winter gloves, but right now what works for me (and bridges a variety of weather changes for economic reasons) is: one pair of neoprene gloves (warm even in snow, but not windproof) and a lightweight pair of nylon, wind/water proof glove covers. The combo is toasty in awful weather, but I also find that those covers work great with my regular short finger cycling gloves in cool weather. They are light and easy to take along, so they work well all through spring and fall (and for descents in the summer in higher altitudes).

I have a neck gator with windstopper in it that I REALLY like when it is cold out.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I live in Michigan too, but hope to move soon to a warmer climate

I don't like riding on the road when it gets under 40F. I'm not a cold weather person though, so don't let me talk you out of it

I've had to do it for racing, but I've found that warming balm stuff really helps

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Pooks suggested bike shorts as your first purchase, and I agree. They'll be easier to find right now than full length tights -- but DO shop the clearance racks and see if you can get lucky! I usually wear my tights if it's going to be below 60 degrees for my whole ride, though I don't always wear something warm on top. Don't like my knees to creak, and the tights keep my joints very happy.

I've found that I prefer my fleece warm up jackets to my screaming yellow wind breaker for the top of me -- fleece breathes better, and my body seems to appreciate the wind getting through the fleece a bit when I'm working hard on my bike. The windbreaker keeps me wayyyyy too warm and humid!

Online shopping has been recommended, and I don't know if I agree with that in the beginning of your (and my) biking "career." Buying clothes is challenging for me, cuz things never seem to fit right, and actually getting what I'm after is not very efficient if I have to buy, return, wait, try again, etc. not always fun in the stores, but at least I can do it in a reasonable amount of time!

OOOH == shorts suggestion: don't go with the ones that seem to list for $30 and are on sale for $20. (my early days, REI brand experience) They don't do the job nearly well enough!

Karen in Boise

How about Booties? I had to make an emergency purchase when my feet froze on a ride, and I wear them any time it's under 50 degrees. For me, if my feet are warm, I can tolerate the rest of it. I notice that the serious bikers in the park wear them up to 60 degrees - maybe they know something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bklynmom View Post
    How about Booties? I had to make an emergency purchase when my feet froze on a ride, and I wear them any time it's under 50 degrees. For me, if my feet are warm, I can tolerate the rest of it. I notice that the serious bikers in the park wear them up to 60 degrees - maybe they know something.
    I wear water/windproof calientoes underneath insulating neoprene booties if it is anywhere near under 60. Same with amfib tights. I often wear lightweight tights well up into the 60s. I'm cold more or less unless it is 70 or up.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

My initial reaction was, ride earlier in the morning, when it isn't so hot. Then I realized you meant farenheit...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast