Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How Cold is too Cold for (Wetsuit) Swimming?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The title says it all. I live by a little lake, and the temp of the well water from the lake right now is 46 degrees (will probably warm up over the weekend, but not a huge amount). There's a bigger lake nearby, but that doesn't mean it's warmer... How cold is too cold?

I have a full suit. I am totally open to purchasing a skull cap, mittens, and booties, if necessary. I have lots of tolerance for cold, but I'm worried about my toesies, fingers, and ears, and if it's just plain too cold, my core will never warm up and I'll be miserable.

What do you fine ladies think?

I just ask the DH the same thing...his reply was not very flattering...something about me being on mind altering drugs....hmmm...

I thought it would be warm enough here in NJ by now..but alas, it SNOWED today.

My opening water training clinic is scheduled to start on April 26th.

So I dunno the answer...

YODA?????

You could try emailing some of the wetsuit companies and ask them what they think. Emilio DeSoto posts on Slowtwitch a lot.

Speaking only for myself, I think that's a bit cold for a triathlon wetsuit. When I used to scuba, if I was in water that cold I'd have a full 5 mm suit with a hat, gloves and booties. Of course, the activity level is much lower in scuba diving than swimming.

Well, air temp was 65 here today, and is supposed to be in the 70s this weekend (lows mid 40s). Next week upper 50s (lows upper 30s). I guess we're fighting the spring mountain runoff (at a toasty temperature of "just above freezing") against the warmer air temps (which aren't THAT warm yet). In the end, it's not enough to warm the lake just yet.

Hard to find reliable sources of information about lake temperatures. I'm curious as to the temps of other lakes in the area. The river is super crazy right now with runoff (great for crazy kayakers!), but according to the water level charts, everything has dropped from the peak water levels in March. Maybe that means the runoff isn't affecting water temps as much as I think...

Here's one link that says 50+ from a wetsuit clinic:

http://www.laurenwu.com/fitness/wetsuit101.html

The Knot test: put on the wetsuit, start walking out into the water.

If the water hits your belly and you just wanna scream, walk back out of the water, take off wetsuit, go home and drink warm things and cuddle on the couch.

(and if it gets too cold to tolerate before you're in up to your belly, you might need to stop for a latte on the way home, too! )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    The title says it all. I live by a little lake, and the temp of the well water from the lake right now is 46 degrees (will probably warm up over the weekend, but not a huge amount). There's a bigger lake nearby, but that doesn't mean it's warmer... How cold is too cold?
    The lake temp DID go up this weekend -- to 48 degrees. Probably going to stay there for a while (or even go back down) since our daily temps are staying in the 50s this week.

Come on lake... you can do it.

I wonder if RNRGirl's open water will be warmer by April 26th with the cold snap pretty much everywhere other than the west.

The Malloy brothers surf in Ireland (check out the documentary Step Into Liquid) - I bet it's that cold there. I'd think booties, etc. would be in order.

Edited, 'cause I got curious.

Ireland water temp: http://www.surfing-waves.com/travel/ireland.htm

9 degrees C is about 48 degrees F, per Google.

And but check this out from the Irish Surfing Association:

Anybody surfing in Ireland should wear ear plugs to prevent ?Surfers Ear? or ?Diffuse Exostosis?, this is a bone growth in the ear canel caused by long-term exposure to cold water temperatures. It eventually blocks the ear canel reducing hearing, causing continuous ear infections and other problems.

http://www.isasurf.ie/index.php?page=safety
    Last edited by tangentgirl; 04-12-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    So I dunno the answer...

YODA?????
    Ooooops, missed this.

Currently the Columbia River at Bonneville dam is about 45 F. Yeah, I'm not swimming in that. But other people have already been out kiteboarding and windsurfing in those temps. You would definitely need a thick wetsuit (4mm over the torso), booties, hoody etc.

I don't go out until the water temp is 60 F.

Open water swimming is a lot of fun but don't be in too big of a hurry. As long as you practice siting in the pool, you'll be able to swim outside with a wetsuit quite easily. It's more important to get into the water frequently the 2 weeks before you're first race, preferrably at the race venue. Go in swim around until you either are getting colder and have to get out or until you get used to it. Keep doing this until you can get into the water and start swimming without hyperventilating due to the cold. It takes about 3 trips to the lake for me. Your body will get used to it.

When I lived in Alberta Canada, I used to go out early in June and swim in glacial lakes. It was soooooo cold you would get a sinus freeze headache after having your head in the water for 30 seconds. I did intervals of this kind of swimming to accelerate my acclimitization to cold water for the first big open water swim race. Not fun, but it worked.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wow, that's really interesting, but I guess it makes sense (with the sinus and ear problems). Sinuses/ears sure are sensitive. Our lake is the exact same temp (9C) right now according to the well temperatures.

I'm pretty temperature tolerant, but I guess I will be patient. Here's my confession... I haven't done any swimming at all yet this year. I have never been much of a fan of the gym, never had to be a member of one since I hurt my shoulder last year and before that we lived in an apartment complex with a pool we could use in the spring/summer/fall (and before that we were in college, with access to everything, which we of course rarely used and I'd die for now).

To get my fix, I'll try on my wetsuit and see how it fits. Then... I'll have to seriously think about joining the gym for real. Riding, strength training, yoga, running... all of that I can do at home. Swimming, not so much. I have been working enough on my core/upper body that I think my shoulder can handle it.

Well, I used to sail as long as the water was actually liquid. I think at that temperature I was ok in a 5mm wetsuit (with 3mm arms) as long as I was also wearing neoprene boots, gloves and a hat. A lot of dinghy sailors also recommend peeing into your wetsuit to warm it up.

Bron