Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

If you like yogurt, you have to try this!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's Kefir made by "Fresh Made" whichs is russian company from Philadelphia, PA. Only it's in these small contrainers like yogurt ones and they have several flavours. I bought the strawberry one and I must tell you that I thought I was eating real strawberry ice cream. Good thing it has more protein than regular yogurt and less sugar too. So next time you are in a store, look out for this one.

cals 140, fat 3g, sugar 15g, protein 8g.
    Next one is cherry

HI! I have been drinking Lifeway lowfat Kefir for awhile now. It tastes good, and is rich in calcium.

One cup serving is 174 Calories (20 from fat) 2g fat, 21g sugar in the form of organic cane juice, and 14g protein.

Really tasty on cereal.

Laura
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

It is here a lot now in the Russian shops.
    What does it taste like?
    Can one make it at home like yoghurt? (By adding milk to some of it at a certain temp)

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Margo, I saw some recipes online , just google "kefir" recipe and I am sure you can find something. But the one that I bought in a little yogurt like can tasted really good, almost like ice cream.
    Laura, I always buy big Kefir in russian stores ( I was born in Russia) and it has better calorie count than yogurt. But if you see the one i am talking about, buy it and try it, its really tasty

The other day, I was advised to try Kefir (which I had never heard of). I bought some and strangely enough (for me) enjoyed it.

It has the appearance of milk and the consistency of diluted yogurt. It's described as a "probiotic fluid" on the label...I certainly don't know what that means...

So, the question is:
    • Why is this not better known?
    • Is there a downside to it?

I'm having a very "bad back" week and it was my acupuncturist/chiropractor that suggested I introduce this into my diet.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I've consumed Kefir for quite a while. I stumbled on it and happened to like it It was well before I knew anything about the often touted health benefits....

There doesn't seem to be a down side to me, and I'm not sure why it isn't better known. However, even the "big box" groceries around here carry it, so it seems to be gaining in popularity.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

We used to make kefir back in the hippy days. (it's like making yogurt, put some starter in some milk and let 'er rip!) Good stuff! Don't think I've had any in about 30 years. Maybe I should go find some and see if it still tastes as good as I remember.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Back in teh 70's, my dad was on a kick where we had it 'growing' all the time. It was pretty tasty,if I recall.
    As a slight hijack - if you like yogurt, you have to try Faje brand yogurt. I get it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. It's a greek yogurt, and it is SO rich and creamy, even the fat-free one. Actually, that's the only type I've tried. Caution though - there's a sheet of parchment over the top. I didn't realize it and thought my first container was spoiled with a 'skin' on the top. Ooops!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

FreshNewbie, I am from the Philly area... where can you find this Kefir stuff? I'd like to give it a try, as I'm always looking for new yogurty things (most regular yogurts are much too sweet for me, but I need something with more sweetness than unsweetened yogurt).

K.

Kefir's good. It doesn't require a spoon like yogurt.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

So, do you buy it in the yogurt section? I did a quick google, and it looks like it comes in a box? I'm confused.

it is in the milk section of two supermarkets i go to; the others don't even carry it. it's kind of like buttermilk.. find the buttermilk?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I haven't tried the kefir, but I will try to track some down.

Recently I started eating Wallaby organic yogurt from whole foods. It says 'creamy Australian style'. I haven't been to Australia, but I do love the yogurt in Europe, much less sweet than the typical US yogurt. I like the Wallaby because its much lower in sugar than all the other brands I saw, and the sugar is in the form of organic evaporated cane juice. It does have a thinner texture than something like yoplait, probably not as thin as the kefir.
    The best part about going up hills is riding back down!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    We used to make kefir back in the hippy days. (it's like making yogurt, put some starter in some milk and let 'er rip!)
    When you say "starter" do you mean culture or just some kefir added to milk? I have been trying to get these "seeds" as they are called thru a Cheese website and Russian shopkeepers with no luck.
    I am also a bit wary of trying it myself because of the high (room) temps here and it is not expensive to buy.
    It is a mould + bacteria culture I believe not a straight bacterial one (like yoghurt) and someone told me it takes *days* not hours so God alone knows what else might be going on "in there" over that kind of time. Mind you with milk any unwanted bacteria usually either spoil the product or give you a colour or texture that you aren't expecting so I s'pose I shouldn't worry...

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

THis morning, I poured Kefir over my healthy cereal instead of milk. It was a good substitute for milk and has a longer shelf life.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers