Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

As of now my LBS only has one in stock, it is a 51 Ruby Comp. I believe it is my size (according to an online fit guide that I used). Should I expect my LBS to willingly order a Pro for me to test if I won't guarantee I'll buy it? I've never done this before so I'm not sure what to expect. Last time I just took the first one they suggested - with only a stand-over test. I'm trying to be more thorough this time. I'm going to the shop tonight so anyone who can reply quickly it would be appreciated.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

am i the only freak that just LOVES black bikes?

Yeah.......but we still luv ya.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by li10up View Post
    Yeah.......but we still luv ya.

Every shop is a little different, but it would't hurt to ask them if they'd be willing to order one for you to test ride. Are there any other shops in area that are Specialized dealers? Maybe you could test ride a Pro at a different shop.

My LBS was willing to order my bike without a commitment from me to buy it, but it was a $1300 bike. If your LBS is not willing to do that, then test ride the Comp to get a feel for the geometry, frame and fit. The two bikes are identical in those aspects, right? If so, then the only difference is between the components and, perhaps most noticeably, the shifting. Maybe they have another Dura Ace equipped bike that you can try to a get a feel for the difference between 105 and Dura Ace components.

In my opinion, the most important things to focus on during a test ride is, first, whether the bike fits and, second, whether you like the ride quality of the frame. You should be able to figure that out for either bike by riding the Comp. If you like how the Comp brakes and shift, just picture yourself liking it even more with the Pro.

Also, you haven't mentioned in your posts whether you prefer to get a double or triple crank. I notice that the Comp is offered in either a standard double or triple, while the Pro comes with a compact double. Depending on what kind of gearing you want, that may be an important factor in your decision. I know it was a factor in mine. I have a hard enough time climbing with my triple. I'd never make it up the steep climbs we have in Indiana with a compact.

I know I've given my two cents on this already but in looking closely at the specs for both bikes, I have to say that the Pro is what I call a "whole lotta bike." I'm a total bike geek and completely understand the appeal of high-end bikes and components, but I think that the difference in price between the two bikes is just too much for the performance advantages that you would be getting with the Pro. I have no idea what your budget is and, if price isn't a factor, then knock yourself out with the Pro. Otherwise, I'd go with the Comp.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

the geometry of the frames is the same... last year the carbon used was different... they used their best carbon on the pro.... not sure about this year's versions.....

Geez...just when I was about set on the Pro........But Indysteel you make a good point, actually several good ones. I currently have a triple but want to go to a compact double. We don't have a lot of hills around here and when I compared the gearing the high and low where nearly the same anyhow....and they are better spaced in-between on the Ruby. Too many double shifts on the Allez triple. I rarely use the granny gear now.

Deciding is tougher than I thought it would be. I'm just glad I have some people to bounce ideas off of and get their experienced input. Thanks everyone.

Can't wait for 5:30 to roll around!

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
    the geometry of the frames is the same... last year the carbon used was different... they used their best carbon on the pro.... not sure about this year's versions.....
    From their specs for 2007, it looks like the frame for each is the same--FACT 7r carbon.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Geez...just when I was about set on the Pro........But Indysteel you make a good point, actually several good ones. I currently have a triple but want to go to a compact double. We don't have a lot of hills around here and when I compared the gearing the high and low where nearly the same anyhow....and they are better spaced in-between on the Ruby. Too many double shifts on the Allez triple. I rarely use the granny gear now.

Deciding is tougher than I thought it would be. I'm just glad I have some people to bounce ideas off of and get their experienced input. Thanks everyone.

Can't wait for 5:30 to roll around!
    First off, I'm jealous that you don't need your granny gear anymore for hills. Man, I must suck at climbing b/c I'd be dead w/o one.

Anyway, if you prefer a compact crank, then maybe the Pro is the right bike for you, notwithstanding the higher price tag. But, if you like the price of the Comp but prefer a compact crank, you can always work out a deal with your LBS to swamp out the triple crank for a compact. You'd probably also want to change out the rear derailleur since you wouldn't need the long cage r/d that comes with the Comp. If so, you could upgrade the r/d to Ultegra which would improve your shifting in the rear. I'm not sure what your LBS would charge for that, but it would likely be far less than $1600.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted. Don't be afraid to sleep on it for a few days.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

i figured out what "turns me off" the blue ruby.... the paint job is almost identical to my dolce's paint job! (the dark and light blue!)

if you can stand the black.... go for the expert.... that is really your BEST bet... you get the better ultegra parts without spending the PRO price....

ok.... one other thought.... most times it's cheaper to buy a whole new bike than to upgrade significant components..... so say you do buy the comp... but want a whole drivetrain upgrade... that's gonna be spendy..... (example... when we were looking at getting my MTB hubby was gonna upgrade a couple things... fork.... whatnots.... it was RIDICULOUS! he ended up with a whole new bike, too!)

sooooooooooooooooooooooo if you really think you're gonna want to upgrade (and VERY big possibility i would think with the 105)... and you hate the gorgeous black then just buy the pro..... i guarantee you will love the ride!

however..... since you seem to feel guilty about spending the money (don't we all!) then, as i said... if you can get past the black.... that is really the best bang for your buck.... you won't feel the need to upgrade the ultegra!

gee.... i'm not much help, am i???????????????????

to me it's between the expert and the pro.... i, personally, after looking at the specs (and color) wouldn't get the comp..... but that's ME!

Wow - I didn't realize that the Expert changed colors this year although I guess I should have since they usually do yearly.

I know it's probably unlikely, but maybe a bike shop somewhere has an Expert "left over" from last year? Maybe your bike shop could call Specialized & check into that for you? Probably a long-shot (my bike store didn't even stock them b/c they thought there wouldn't be the demand), but just throwing the suggestion out there.

Indysteel gave you some great advice in her post about fitting & feel of the frame. If the 51 fits you in the Comp, it will fit you in the Pro. Mine is actually a 51. The feel of the ride will also be the same.

When it comes to components I agree with Cali, if you are deciding between the Comp and the Pro.If the Pro is in your budget, I would go for it. I can assure you will not be dissappointed.

As far as triple or compact double, I used my granny gear on my Dolce Comp a few times only so I do not see a problem using a "compact" double.

I cannot wait to hear how your trip to the LBS turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
    ok.... one other thought.... most times it's cheaper to buy a whole new bike than to upgrade significant components..... so say you do buy the comp... but want a whole drivetrain upgrade... that's gonna be spendy..... (example... when we were looking at getting my MTB hubby was gonna upgrade a couple things... fork.... whatnots.... it was RIDICULOUS! he ended up with a whole new bike, too!)
    I agree generally with that, but that is what has me a bit confused about Specialized's pricing for the Comp and Pro. You can buy a full Dura Ace groupset for less than $1600, e.g., at Colorado Cyclist. Since I can't seem to find any other difference between the Comp and the Pro, I have to wonder what justifies the big price difference between the two bikes. Specialized doesn't indicate what wheelset is used on each bike. Maybe the Pro has better wheels. That would explain it....

Sorry to beat what may be a dead horse, but I've been scratching my head about it since this thread started.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I agree generally with that, but that is what has me a bit confused about Specialized's pricing for the Comp and Pro. You can buy a full Dura Ace groupset for less than $1600, e.g., at Colorado Cyclist. Since I can't seem to find any other difference between the Comp and the Pro, I have to wonder what justifies the big price difference between the two bikes. Specialized doesn't indicate what wheelset is used on each bike. Maybe the Pro has better wheels. That would explain it....

Sorry to beat what may be a dead horse, but I've been scratching my head about it since this thread started.
    On Specialized site the have this info:
    Rims: Pro - Roval Classique Fusee, 24 hole
    Comp - Mavic open sport

Means nothing to me............?????????????

On Specialized site the have this info:
    Rims: Pro - Roval Classique Fusee, 24 hole
    Comp - Mavic open sport

Means nothing to me............?????????????
    To the best of my knowledge that is an upgrade along with:

Pro- Carbon Headset
    Pro- Carbon Crankset
    Pro- Roval Classique Fusee Rims, front & rear hub- this is the wheel set and this is what "mainly" makes the Pro a far better bike than the Comp.

Also, I am not sure how much his matters, but the spokes DT stainless, butted aero, hidden aeros, which I guess is another plus.

I hope this helps. I pass this info on to you from my husband as he knows far better than I about stuff like this. All I know is, I love the ride.

~ JoAnn
    Last edited by Jo-n-NY; 03-16-2007 at 05:34 AM.