Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Ruby Comp or Ruby Pro

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm still trying to decide on a bike. I've read the replies in other post and have learned a lot from the folks on this site. I feel like I'm a lot more informed, but when it comes to components I'm still not sure.

My question now is should I go with the Ruby Comp or the Ruby Pro. I think the difference in price is about $1600. The Comp is all Shimano 105 while the Pro is DuraAce drive train, brake levers, and rear D with Ultegra brakes, and front D.

Knowing that I'm a recreational rider but want to ride faster and longer and climb better, and that I'm 30 pounds overweight, should I just stick with the Comp? I know that I'd be better off upgrading me than the bike. Will I, in a year or so, kick myself for not getting the Pro though? Would I notice the difference in components or would it not really be noticeable for a rider like me?

I'm just looking for some input...I know the ultimate decision is up to me.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Based on my understanding of Shimano's groups, you'll likely experience/feel some difference, especially in shifting, between the 105 and DA/Ultegra components. I don't know if I'd say it's $1600 worth of difference.

Assuming you're a recreational rideer, I tend to think that the Comp will meet your performance needs. I'm sure some will disagaree, but I tend to think that for the average recreational rider, the desire/need to buy a bike with higher end components is largely emotional. That's certainly what drove me to swap out some of the Mirage components on my Bianchi for Veloce. Even though I know Veloce isn't top of the line for Campy, I just knew I wouldn't be happy with something I perceived as an entry level bike (although I don't consider Shimano 105 as entry level; it's certainly a lot better than Sora or Tiagra). I'd also note, however, that I only spent about $200 to swap those things out. If it had cost $1600, I would have balked. With that in mind, I'd ask yourself how important it generally is for you to have top of the line stuff. If it's not that big of a deal to you, I'd go with the Comp.

Instead of buying the Pro, you could talk to your LBS--either when you buy the bike or later--about upgrading a few of the components. I'd start with the rear derailleur from a performance standpoint. That's not a terribly expensive upgrade. Also, your original post didn't indicate how the wheelsets for each bike compare. That's another place where it makes sense to upgrade. Of course, if my experience with buying handbuilt wheels is any guide, you can get a really good set of custom wheels for less than $500 that will probably perform and ride better than the wheels that come standard on either the Comp or Pro.

If it were me (and take this for what it's worth), I'd buy the Comp and spend my extra $1600 on some nice handbuilt wheels and some cute jerseys.

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Why not get the Expert (middle group) Ruby? There is no reason a recreational rider should not have Dura-Ace. The only reason I didn't buy the Dura Ace or Ultegra version of my bike was money. All I want to do is ride 3,500 a year and some centuries, but if my budget had been bigger I wouldn't have 105 right now.

From what I hear you would notice a difference between 105 or Dura-Ace. That being said, most reviews I have found on 105 are quite favorable. I find my shifting to be very smooth, but I have never rode Dura-Ace. There is a BIG difference between my old Sora and 105. Get what you are comfortable spending and don't worry about whether or not it is "too much bike".
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

just voting

I am very happy with my 105 group. I had a Fuji newest the LBS talked me into, entry level bike with sora and I was very unhappy, I returned it and purchased a better bike. The shifting is smooth almost unoticeable to me. I don't race either just group rides rec, commute and such. So I think it was a good buy. If I had xtra $ to put into a bike I would still keep my 105 and upgrade on frame fit..

Have you tried the Ruby Expert?

I second the vote for the Ruby Expert. Mine has full Ultegra. I didn't really like the 105 componets I had on my other bike. I felt a huge difference in the ride between the comp and the expert. Would have love to get the Pro, but I already was stretching the budget with the expert. The Expert was the perfect solution for me. bikerHen

I would've bought a bike with nicer components if I had the money. I'm trying to race, but something like ease of shifting is a concern for all riders. Will the Comp or Expert perform well? Yes. Will the Pro feel even nicer? Yes. I have a lot to learn so a Roubaix Comp seemed like a good compromise between components and not going way over the top. But I already think about how nice S-Works must feel and how much better a lighter bike would climb. So maybe I'll save up more for bike #2 . Will you be itching to upgrade? Maybe. Cycling seems to do that to people. But I don't think you'll really dislike the Comp in a year. The Ruby is a good bike.

Ruby Expert

I agree with the others who suggested the Expert ... I knew that I wanted the Ruby, but couldn't justify the extra cost for the Pro since I don't get to ride nearly as much as I'd like. So, the Expert seemed like a good compromise. I also rode the Comp before comitting to the Expert, but I don't really remember how different I thought they were at the time. It's definitely an upgrade from my entry-level Allez and with the type and frequency of riding I am able to do, I don't feel as though I'll "outgrow" it anytime in the near future. i've been extremely happy with it.

Hi there, I thought I would add my 2 cents on this one.

I went from a o5 Dolce Comp to just recently as some might have read th 07 Ruby Pro. I am also a recreational rider, but enjoy organized metric and century rides. I prefer the flats, but needless to say one cannot avoid hills so I deal with them which I guess is an understatement for many others.

My Dolce Comp had all Ultegra with DA in the rear. It is a sweet ride, and I thought the shifting was really good. I had occasional rubbing of the chain in certain gears which is very common.

However, after 3 rides on my Ruby Pro I cannot express enough how much sweeter of a ride this is. The shifting is like butter. I kept the compact double, which keep in mind is carbon unlike last years model which was DA. From other posts that I read, some consider this years crankset to be a downgrade from last year, it is not, it is infact an upgrade being carbon which in fact is lighter.

I have not experienced the chain rubbing in any of the different gears so far. I went through all the gears in the larger crank.

Maybe it is the DA brake levers, but it is much easier to brake also, I have very small hands and put very little effort in braking.

If you ask if there is a difference between the two, in my opinion there is. Does it warrent the higher price, that is probably up to you and what your budget can afford. I do not think it matters if you are a "recreational" rider. You will find if you love your bike you will want to ride it more and more. Plus, although it will hold true with all 3 levels, it is sooooo forgiving going over bumpy terrain. After the winter here in NY, the roads are at their worst.

If you have to opportunity, can you try all 3. I new and felt the difference right away going just down the block. Otherwise, I agree with the others that mention going with the Expert as it is just one level below. I forget what color it is, but maybe that might be an issue for you. For me especially paying that amount of money need to love the color also. The Ruby Pro paint job is gorgeous.

I guess that might have been more than 2 cents, sorry.

JoAnn

To add to my original response. If the Expert is the middle ground betweeen the Comp and Pro (I'm unfortunately not familiar with the Specialized WSD line), I agree that you should go with that. My friends with Ultegra-equipped bikes are all very happy with their performance.

I hope my comment about 105 being adequate for "recreational riders" wasn't taken as a slight. I agree that every cyclist--recreational or competive--is entitled to top-end components if their budget allows. Believe me, my next bike will have Campy Chorus on it if it kills me. I was only trying to assuage any concerns that the OP might have that 105 won't perform adequately for her or that she'll grow disappointed with it. My understanding is that while the shifting with 105 isn't quite as smooth and precise as with DA, it's still a good groupset, especially given the price difference between the Comp and Pro.

That said, the Expert sounds like a great compromise.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

i'm going to chime in and say if you have reservations about spending the money on the pro.... then go with the expert.... it's a great compromise between the comp and the pro!!!!!

the reason we say that the ruby has been downgraded is... well... because it has! lol! last year EVERY component was DA down to the wheels... this year they shaved money off the price (normally they change components and the price goes UP!) and it's not a mishmosh of part.... the crank is FSA, the brakes and rear D are ultegra (definitly a downgrade over last year's version with the remaining parts being DA.... oh.... and roval wheels

i understand why they did this.... they needed to save the full DA for the s-works....

i've noticed that specialized seems to do this a lot... they will downgrade components on like bikes... same thing happened the year i got my dolce.... i had a mix of mainly ultegra... next year no ultegra at all on the expert! i'm not sure what their thought process was then??????

that's not to say the ruby pro (or ANY of the ruby's) aren't good... they are GREAT bikes... a lot of the comfort and nice ride is in the frame! and of course they are supposedly making the compents nicer each year, too!

i'm just glad i got the one i got (ok.... i take that back.... had i been shopping in 2007 i would have ended up with the s-works, if it fit, cuz it's black and i LOVE black bikes!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY View Post
    If you have to opportunity, can you try all 3. I new and felt the difference right away going just down the block. Otherwise, I agree with the others that mention going with the Expert as it is just one level below. I forget what color it is, but maybe that might be an issue for you. For me especially paying that amount of money need to love the color also. The Ruby Pro paint job is gorgeous. JoAnn
    I do want a color that I like. Unfortunately I don't care for the carbon/silver of the Expert...that's why I was jumping from the Comp to the Pro. I wonder if you can get the Expert components with the Comp or Pro frame? The frames appears to be the same on all 3 bikes. I'm going to ask my LBS tonight about it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like I can't go wrong no matter which one I decide on. I guess what's at the back of my mind is that I can afford the Pro right now and I wonder if I get something less if I'll want to upgrade later...and you never know what "later" will hold financially. I hope I can get the Expert in a different color.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

each bike comes in its color (i.e. the pro is the ruby red.... hmmmmmm didn't they switch the other two? so that this year the expert is black and the comp is blue.... last year the comp was black and the expert was blue....) anyways... unless YOU pay to have it painted after you buy it... those are the colors!

p.s. i really don't think you'd be unhappy with the expert (ultegra) version!!!! i would concentrate on getting either an expert or pro.... from the replies i've read in the various threads.... you may not be happy with the 105 on the comp! but the ultegra is a great groupo!!!!

As someone here said already, choice of component is mostly based on emotional factor.

105 is adequate. I don't think you will feel or see any shortcomings in recreational rides. It is a solid group. Performs well. Shifts well. I know lot of riders who are more than happy with the 105 group. Unless you are planning on racing anytime soon, save money by going with the 105 group.

Ultegra has improved considerably over the years. And if I'm not mistaken, it is lighter in weight than the 105. Shifting is slightly quicker and would be good for those who are starting to race. It respond faster than the 105. This is important if you want drop your opponent (being able to quickly put some distance between you and your unsuspecting opponent. Its psychological mostly)

Dura Ace is extremely quick in shifting. Again lighter than Ultegra. Definitely race quality.

Last thing. durablility and ruggedness of all three are about the same me think. Just because you are slightly overweight doesn't mean that Dura Ace would hold up better. 105 may hold up better for you.

I used Ultegra on my Litespeed Tachyon, Ultegra/shimono 600 on panasonic DS05000? and my current Obera Dama Race uses Campy's Athena group. (I'm not too happy with Athena. It's not as quick as dura ace or ultegra.)

Save the $1600.

Shawn

Well, Liup10...be sure to keep us posted after your visit to the LBS.

If I had 105, I know I would feel the need to upgrade to at least Ultegra. If the Ruby Expert was Blue or the Ruby color I also would have considered it, but I also was not fond of the carbon/silver color which is fine for many others, but I just personally like "colors". I am almost afraid to say this, but if you can afford the Pro, I would go for it. It is a dream to ride.

I shall say no more and await your update

JoAnn