Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tingly hand

Hybrid View

c7-c8 neurological level (yah, there are only 7 cervical vertebrae, but 8 neuro levels) Any history of neck injury?

Hand goobers can be referred from neck, shoulder, or elbow (or be caused by something at the hand)

Sounds like ulnar nerve. Which is usually pinky and ring finger, but on some folks includes one side of the middle finger.

I'm betting it's not carpal tunnel, since that's generally median nerve (thumb and first 2 or 3 fingers)

Could be compression of the Tunnel of Guyon from resting on the heel of your hand on the bars of your bike.

I'd go pay a visit to a PT so they can figure out where it's coming from and how to fix it.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-23-2007 at 05:52 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am not a medical professional, but i have had the same symptoms that were in my case caused by me slouching too far forward. This forward slouch stretches those nerves that go around your shoulder and on the outside of your elbow and down to your fingers. Get your shoulders back. There are a zillion exercises to help you do this. Look in the mirror, stick your chest out, and put your shoulders back.
    Bicycling unfortunately adds to the fun, because it's forward posture too.
    While sitting, get on your sitbones and straighten your back.
    Good luck, this is hard work and it has taken me years to fight my very long-term slouching habit to the point that I no longer have the tingly fingers.
    Don't get me wrong, I am still fighting slouch.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thanks you guys! Knot, I really appreciate the cspine level analysis - you're a pro.

No history of neck injury. I did have lower back pain from a bike crash a year ago - but that seems to have resolved.

Ring finger - that's what it is. Duh. I don't have a ring on my right hand so I didn't think to call it that. It's the tip of the ring finger more than anything.

Okay, I will see my doctor about seeing a PT. She doesn't know what to do with me, in general. Maybe I will just go straight to my PT friend.

Oh, and I really don't slouch. But I'll try to be more conscious of that. Mimi, you'll have me looking 10 pounds thinner....
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I agree with Knott 100% and would like to add a bit. Becuase the tingling is fairly isolated it is likely related to imingement at the neck level (most likely between C6 and C7). It's more common to get a C5-C6 level impingement from slouching and based on what you've said this is not as likely to be an issue. What's interesting is that it comes on quickly when you raise your arm. This would lead me to think that there is some sort of biomechanical issue that is contributing to the problem, such as excessive movement at C6-7 compensating for something in you upper back is not moving well. The other possibility is that your getting nerve pressure in your neck area from excessive tightness of some of the muscles of your neck (the scalenes in particular). Either way, it needs to be looked at by a PT or similar, (I'm not a big fan of Chiropractic but I will often recommend a Doctor of Osteopathy, DO for short).

Good luck with it all. And don't leave it too long before you get it checked!

Yes, MP, off to the doc. I have ulnar compression problems in the ring and little fingers. It shows up when I have my arms bent for long periods. That's way I asked about which fingers.

Try not to scare the docs again, OK?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I just got a nerve conduction study done for exactly that sort of tingling, except mine went/still goes down into that side of my palm. The verdict was ulnar nerve impingement. I was told to get the @#%$*!! off my elbow and side of my hand.

Does your chair have armrests? Are you resting the elbow/ulnar nerve on them? That could be a part of the problem. The doc talked about what he called "architect's hand" (or something similar - don't look it up, I think it's his own private terminology), where people, like architects have this problem 'cause they rest the sides of their hands on a hard surface to draw in all those lovely little bricks in their fancy drawings.

My chair at work is now without armrests, and I am typing right now with an elbow pad between me and the armrest on my chair at home. It's taken a month or so, but most of the tingling has gone away.

The doc told me to take a long rest under a tropical palm tree somewhere and the problem would go away on its own. I laughed in his face 'cause he forgot to say that he'd pay for it.

BTW, the nerve conduction study: If you have access to an electric fence, just grab onto that - it will feel about the same - except it will be much cheaper.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I doubt anyone could pay me enough to go through a nerve conduction study...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson