Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TE-DC ride in December?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Are we going to try to get one in? I know it's hard to plan, what with temperatures due to get colder and Christmas and all, but I'd certainly be up for a casual (yes, I said casual) ride on road or towpath if we have a Sunday in December that's at least 40 degrees.

Anyone else interested?

Tam
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Me Me!!! I'm in NC (obviously), but will be in DC the weekend of the 16th and 17th. I'd love to meet some DC TE'ers!!!

We're staying in Manassas, but will travel. BTW - does anyone know of any good rides near Manassas? We're staying with a non-cyclist and I would like to get a few rides in
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    We're staying in Manassas, but will travel. BTW - does anyone know of any good rides near Manassas? We're staying with a non-cyclist and I would like to get a few rides in
    Y'know, I was wondering the same thing just yesterday. I love riding the Civil War battlefields at Antietam and Gettysburg and was thinking about whether there'd be good riding down at Manassas. Considering that the battlefied straddles two very busy thoroughfares, a battlefield ride could be kinda hairy. Manassas is right at the edge of the suburbs, though, so I'm sure there are roads around the area that could be good for pedaling. This is the only thing I found at Routeslip.com, but other people might have some routes.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I'm always up for a ride Let me know what's being planned and I'll try to be there.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Careful! Don't blink - December will be GONE before you know it! (and it hasn't even started yet! Yikes)
    Here's a good link for various routes in the DC area - including info for visitors. http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/
    I'm a bit of a Virginia neophyte. I know Tyson's and Alexandria and that's about it! I guess my world lately stops at the DC border, yet heads well north!
    I'd be up for a ride. I was thinking just yesterday about maybe suggesting that we hook up at the top of Beach Drive in Garrett Park for a (relative) hammer ride (cruising at 17-20 mph) down Beach into Rock Creek Park some weekend day, when parts of the park are closed to cars. That route has the added bene of no hills (except the loop by the ranger's station)! I think it's about 25 miles or so as an out-and-back.
    Of course, I'd also be up for a casual meander thru VA, if I had time. This weekend is out, but otherwise I think I'm good until the 23rd.

I think the only weekend I'll be around and free will be 16th-17th in Dec. But of course feel free to schedule without me. I'd be up for doing Rock Creek again. The more of us who go, the more we can stay off the awful multiuse trail. Y'all are free to start near my house at the southern end of the parkway as well.

I kind of like that one hill there on the loop. Usually no traffic up there and it feeds nicely into the blocked off area where you can build up a good pace. I've only done that once. Lots of fun despite the hill. The hassle was getting up there via the trail or hitting the parkway / Beach with only 2 of us there by the tunnel. (We got lost a couple times).

North of there, I don't know where I'm going. But it would be fun to try it out. (and get the route mapped in my Garmin--I love my new toy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    I was thinking just yesterday about maybe suggesting that we hook up at the top of Beach Drive in Garrett Park for a (relative) hammer ride (cruising at 17-20 mph) down Beach into Rock Creek Park some weekend day, when parts of the park are closed to cars. That route has the added bene of no hills (except the loop by the ranger's station)! I think it's about 25 miles or so as an out-and-back.
    I'd be up for something like this, but I don't know if that's a pace I can maintain. Of course, I've never really ridden in a pace line so perhaps it would be doable. I'd definitely like to give it a try.

I feel the need for a (relative) hammer ride this Sunday. I was planning on doing something up on my usual routes but if you wanted to try this one then I'm game.

Please keep me in mind for a more casual ride, too.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

You'd be surprised what you could maintain on that route - particularly north of East West Hwy. It can broken up with stop lights, so sometimes it's like "Sprint. Stop for a light. Sprint. Stop for at light." If you spot a rabbit up ahead (i.e., a faster cyclist) it gives you the incentive of chasing him/her down before the next light, so it's fun for working on speed. And, you re-group with your peeps at the light!

I don't think I've ever ridden the MUT thru the park - except past the stone house (?) and going by the zoo, and the route I had in mind wouldn't go that far south. I'll see if I can play with Routeslip some time and show what I had in mind. I never know the names of the streets there!

Check this out.
    Note that this is my FIRST ever attempt at RouteSlip, so it may be a little rough.
    http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=15634

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Check this out.
    Note that this is my FIRST ever attempt at RouteSlip, so it may be a little rough.
    http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=15634
    Thanks for plotting it out; I couldn't quite figure out all the twists and turns.

The best suggestion I can make to anyone using RouteSlip is to plot all of your points at a very high zoom level; that helps ensure that your points actually follow the road and give a reasonably accurate estimate of distance and climbing.

Is there parking near the start point? How busy is the route on a Sunday morning? Are you up for it this Sunday? Can Regina come out to play?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I just took a look at the elevation profile. Although we're not talking about a lot of climbing, basically all the climbing is on the home leg.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Thanks for plotting it out; I couldn't quite figure out all the twists and turns.

The best suggestion I can make to anyone using RouteSlip is to plot all of your points at a very high zoom level; that helps ensure that your points actually follow the road and give a reasonably accurate estimate of distance and climbing.

Is there parking near the start point? How busy is the route on a Sunday morning? Are you up for it this Sunday? Can Regina come out to play?
    Even tho' it twists and turns...that's all pretty much one road (except for where it goes under Military Rd and makes that right towards Ross. I'm unsure if I hit the correct road there). There is a parking lot at the "T" of Beach and Garrett Park Road. And there's a porta-potty, too!! It's where the Rock Creek MUT goes on up towards Lake Needwood (another 7 miles beyond, I think), tho' I've never ventured beyond that parking lot really. It's where my friend and I occasionally meet for rides. It's 9 miles by bike from my house.

On Sunday a.m.s, it's not too bad. Lots of bikes. Not too many cars. Probably because they know there are lots of bikes. South of E/W Hwy, sections are gated off so no cars at all on the road. This Sunday, DH and I are planning (hoping?) to hook up with a friend at the C&O or other to demo a DSLR he's trying to sell us. I won't know until tomorrow if I can or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I just took a look at the elevation profile. Although we're not talking about a lot of climbing, basically all the climbing is on the home leg.
    It's not bad. Trust me!
    It's only 800 feet over 24 miles! And most of that is Ross Drive (the loop) which can easily be avoided by staying on Beach Drive to the end, and turning around for a true "out and back."

The tunnel is where you go under Connecticut or Calvert (hard to tell by the map). That's where you ought to take the road when the trail crosses around 24th instead of following it along the parkway then left through the zoo (best for a MTB or at least a cross bike, IMO). The sidewalk under the tunnel is too narrow. Not that the trail south of there is great either. I haven't taken the road up this way but I've seen lots of other bikes there. I've taken it home without major incident.

On the southern end, going home (south) is pretty flat (and more downhill on the way back south). With a big enough group especially fairly early, we could go on-road all the way to Virginia Ave, probably.

I think the loop is fun, but that hill is a slow one if you don't know it's coming to get your momentum up. I've never done it the direction you've mapped it, only backwards a couple of times (from the south, Ridge/Ross north to Beach back to bottom of the loop). I've mapped it here: http://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=14627

(haven't gotten around to doing the whole thing b/c the satellite view doesn't let you see the trail and I haven't mapped the road)

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    Me Me!!! I'm in NC (obviously), but will be in DC the weekend of the 16th and 17th. I'd love to meet some DC TE'ers!!!

I've got a friend who lives south of Chapel Hill--you know any good routes down there? I'll probably be passing through in early January. She's looking for good places to ride. Maybe I could drag her out one morning. Maybe if I'm the one who knows the route, chances are good she won't leave me in the dust (she used to do Ironmans) I thought of some in Hillsborough just off 70, but it's been a few years since I lived in the Triangle.

I may have a team ride on the 16th (not sure). How does the 17th look for y'all?