Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant OCR 3

Question Giant OCR 3

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anybody heard anything about this bike. I'm small 4'11'' and tried an number of the women's bikes but they really didn't fit me properly as I have a short torso and short legs. I looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Cannondale and fianlly Giant (which don't have women's bike but do xs compact frames) and overall I found the Giant the best fit. I've heard alot of negatives about Shimano Sora's - anyone use them and had problems?

On another note I LOVE this forum, I read alot of the treads and it's nice to see I'm not the only one afraid to take my hands of the handlebar and to learn how to use those clipless pedals (which by the way I think is a stupid name..because they CLIP!!!).

Kerri

Carpe Diem

Hi there, ive got an OCR 3 got it for Christmas, i love it, its great, its my first road bike, havent had any problenms with it, apart from smashing it into peices going down a hill in the rain (too much break)! All back together and its great.

Oh wow..what happened..do you mean you braked to hard and skidded? Sorry I'm really new to biking and well it doesn't rain much in Alberta so haven't exeperienced skiddy roads yet..thank goodness. Glad you like the OCR 3, what colour do you have? has it a name? Okay typical girlie questions but what can I say I'm a girl!!!

Here she is

okay I tried to post a picture of my bike and it didn't come up?? Strange...maybe something to do with the fact I only joined yesterday you probably have to earn attachment rights ;o).
    Last edited by magrat22; 04-30-2004 at 07:35 AM.

When you said that you looked at "women's bikes" and you mention Specialized, did you look at the Specialized Allez Dolce?

I am 4 11 1/2 and that bike fits me really well - and before that I had a compact Cannondale which also fit me.

Kelly
    Kelly

Hi Kelly, I did try the specilized dolce sport which I believe is the same as the allez dolce it was lovely unfortunately they didn't have my size and I found out that specialized didn't give enough stock to Canada this year and as a result there are no dolce's to be had anywere near me. I tried everywhere as I really liked it but none of the Specialized bike shops had any left

I'm happy now with my OCR 3 she isn't as pretty as the Dolce but she's all I need for now as I'm just a beginnger.

Kerri

Originally posted by magrat22
    Oh wow..what happened..do you mean you braked to hard and skidded? Sorry I'm really new to biking and well it doesn't rain much in Alberta so haven't exeperienced skiddy roads yet..thank goodness. Glad you like the OCR 3, what colour do you have? has it a name? Okay typical girlie questions but what can I say I'm a girl!!!
    Yeah its very wet in scotland and the roads were very greasy, plus i had been used to the MTB, breaked to hard and high offsided, its wasnt a pretty site, got some scars to remind me!!!!!
    My Giant is the Grey colour and is called MY BABY, she sits in my bedroom on a turbo trainer, shes too good to go in the garage!!! Whats yours called and what colour is she????

Mines called "Abbey" after "Abbey Road" the album by the Beatles. I also named her Abbey after the character in ER because in a recent episode she admitted she's never followed anything through until she started studying to be a Dr. That pretty much describes me so I'm hoping it'll give me inspiration to follow through on not just cycling but in all other areas..bet your sorry you asked now..lol.

Abbey is mainly black with yellow trim, she actually has yellow handlbars which I didn't like at first as it makes her look like Daffy Duck but I'm getting used to it.

My gf and I both just bought OCR3s--our first road bikes. I really like it. After being used to a mtn bike, this bike seemed so amazingly light and responsive. I too have been told that Sora sucks. But we had to stay under $600, and I don't know if it's possible to get a (new) bike for that price with better than Sora. But I figure the components aren't that important as they are replaceable and upgradable. I was much more concerned about frame and fit and simply liking to ride the bike.
    - Liz

My gf and I both just bought OCR3s--our first road bikes. I really like it. After being used to a mtn bike, this bike seemed so amazingly light and responsive. I too have been told that Sora sucks. But we had to stay under $600, and I don't know if it's possible to get a (new) bike for that price with better than Sora. But I figure the components aren't that important as they are replaceable and upgradable. I was much more concerned about frame and fit and simply liking to ride the bike.
    I totally agree, the frame is superb on the Giant (I had it checked out by a 15 year road bike veteran..and he thought it was a great bike and totally upgradeable. Seemingly there is even room on the rear hub to go from a 8 speed to 9 speed cassette which makes upgrading to Ultegra's or Dura Ace possible) Anyway I've been riding my OCR 3 for a month now and I love it.

I'm also short (5 foot, zero inches) and ride an OCR 3 (extra small frame), and think it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden. Just finished a 400 mile, week long bike trip across Georgia, and had no problems. ( I have the light blue version). Mechanically it's sound, and size-wize it's perfect.

Hiya Tiggernancy, I've got the XS frame as well I tried alot of the small frames and even though 44cm seems small it's just that lettle bit to big for me so I couldn't believe my luck when I plonked my butt down on the OCR 3..it fits like a glove. I didn't even bother changing the saddle as I found it really comfortable so all in all it's the perfect bike for me. Now may I shouldn't tell you this but do you know they do the TCR's in extra small too .

The particular saddle on mine was awful - which I unfortunately discovered in the middle of a 60 mile ride. I ended up riding a lot of it standing up, just to survive. Replaced the original with a Terry saddle the next day. AHHHHH!

You might also want to look into Terry Bikes: they are specifically designed for women. A friend--also short, as I am--convinced me to get one, and it has a much better fit than the Giant OCR3 I was riding before. Even the reach to the brakes is shortened for smaller hands.

Re: Giant OCR 3

Originally posted by magrat22
    On another note I LOVE this forum, I read alot of the treads and it's nice to see I'm not the only one afraid to take my hands of the handlebar and to learn how to use those clipless pedals (which by the way I think is a stupid name..because they CLIP!!!).

Kerri

Carpe Diem
    hi kerri!

i'm new too! and i don't like taking my hands off the handle bar! and i'm convinced my husband was trying to kill me by having me get shoes and clipless pedals! lol!

i even stop to get a drink of water! what a baby i am!!!!