Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 172 of 221 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 3311

To disable ads, please log-in.

+1... I don't really hike hike, but if I'm going trail walking, jeans are ALWAYS my outer layer. They resist catching on brambles and sticks, give some protection against snakebite, and poison ivy washes off easily. I might have a layer of wool or polypro underneath if it's cold.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ibex Runner Shorts

Anybody own a pair of these? Do they look like underwear, or can they really be worn on their own? Do they ride up?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

JonesWares zip neck

Anyone have this? http://www.joneswares.com/item/Women..._Neck_/314/c70

How does it compare to a Shak?

My Icebreaker black wool zip t-neck has shrunk beyond hope, and my black cotton t-neck has frayed and ripped. Time for a new black t-neck. I'd like to try something from Joneswares.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Anybody own a pair of these? Do they look like underwear, or can they really be worn on their own? Do they ride up?
    I tried to love them. I really wanted to love them.

I didn't.

Thought I'd written a review, but I guess I didn't. They smell funny for a couple months (preservative from the factory in Turkey?). They ride up terribly for a year or so, then as soon as that stops they develop holes.

Mine are sitting on a shelf waiting for me to fix a hole or two. They've been sitting for 6 or 7 months now.

Next time I'm ordering the wool shorts from Joneswares. http://www.joneswares.com/item/Women..._Short/317/c71 I'm not gonna bother giving the Ibex Runner a second chance.

(oh, and the Ibex don't look like underwear, and you can wear them as shorts, though they aren't nearly as nice looking as the no-longer-made Ibex Roaster.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Oooh, look at what's available for 60% off at 6pm.com...
    http://www.6pm.com/icebreaker-tornado-black

and in my size, too. If it shrinks in 5 years, it's still worth it!

And this: http://www.6pm.com/icebreaker-exp-32...uest-zip-black

Oooh: http://www.6pm.com/icebreaker-original-zip-brazil

I'm thinking of something heavier than the Ibex woolies, but I would consider this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodIB_0123_0.html

Still looking for heavier, but looking here too: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSW_15213.html

Picky, picky me. I want made in the US, dropped tail, high neck, more than 8 inch zip, extra long sleeves, fairly substantial weight (230g+), black, raglan sleeves, no decorative stitching, and less than $100. Whew!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 12-19-2009 at 06:03 PM.

I ended up buying the Icebreaker Tornado. The price was too good to pass up.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Anyone have this? http://www.joneswares.com/item/Women..._Neck_/314/c70

How does it compare to a Shak?
    SHAK wool weight = 390 g/m2

Jones turtleneck weight = 270 gm weight

Shaks are thicker, heavier.
    I wouldn't necessarily want a shak as my next-to-skin layer...it's a bit rough for that, much as i love my shaks for over-layering.
    I suspect the Jones one is more like the nice soft Smartwool midweight turtlenecks. (my standard everyday top in winter)
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, Lisa!

I would be interested knowing if the quality of the Joneswares is similar to the quality of the Shak/Ibex. I noticed a huge quality difference immediately between Ibex and Smartwool clothing. Smartwool was not as good, rough edges, irregular seams, sloppy stiching. (mind you I only have 3 pieces of Smartwool clothes, the rest of my Smartwool is socks which are perfect in every way)

Ibex and Icebreaker seem to be similar quality.

The Shak is my gold standard for shirts. I do wear it next to skin, and while it is rougher than my lighter weight Ibex shirts, I really like the feel of it. When I see a color I like on sale, I will jump for it. More is better!

I just bought a black 320g Icebreaker zip t-neck to replace the black 260g Icebreaker zip t-neck that finally shrank (after 5 years of steady wear). So I won't be getting a Joneswares zip t-neck.... at least not yet.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 12-20-2009 at 10:03 AM.

I can vouch for the Jones Ware quality, though I don't have the pieces you mentioned. I bought a pair of their hiking pants last January. They are heavier wool and drape beautifully. I wear them snow shoeing, hiking, and a couple of times for cycling (with an ankle band). They have been through some rugged snow shoeing and gotten quite dirty, etc., but they also look good with a sweater. I can throw them in the wash and hang to dry and they look perfect.
    Plus, they changed the length and adjusted the waist for $10.00, what they call a semi custom thing. I was directly between 2 sizes, so it was worth it.

Hmmm, I just purchased a Smartwool long-sleeve shirt for a winter base layer - does this mean that I have taken the first step into being enticed into a wool addiction?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Hmmm, I just purchased a Smartwool long-sleeve shirt for a winter base layer - does this mean that I have taken the first step into being enticed into a wool addiction?
    By itself, no. But the fact that you came to WoolWeenies thread to 'confess' afterwards clinches the deal. BWAH-hahahahaha!!!!!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I bought my son an Icebreaker long sleeve crew neck. That makes me a pusher.

hee-hee. My dh and I usually fix gifts for each our side of the family, but he is so clueless sometimes when it comes to buying for his sweet but needy mother that I gave him a hand this year. You should have seen her jaw drop when she unpacked a beautiful merino wool rib-knit turtleneck, white with delicate grey patterning, from her practical engineer son.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I LOVED the smartwool midweight baselayer in heather that I bought in NOV, that and the smartwool socks!

They kept me warm without the crazy bulk when I was in NY the past couple of weeks. I'm so sad I won't be able to wear it anymore

It got a little ballsy in the wash though (and I only washed it once...) how do you prevent that? I used a washing bag too...

I decked out my whole family in merino for x-mass:

DH: blue full zip shak, icebreaker 320 grey sweater, icebreaker 260 base zipT, 2 ibex zephers, 2 ibex long johns, 8 smartwool ski socks (we have a ski trip is switzerland coming up and he has no wool..........).

DS: 2 sets of ibex woolies bottoms and tops, 1 icebreaker 320 sweater, 2 smartwool socks.

DD: 6 pairs smartwool socks (got her ibex woolies and shak last christmas.......).
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 12-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.