Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

My version of oatmeal has changed a bit through time. I cook the basic old fasioned oats from quaker but then my addon list is this:

Wheat germ, walnuts-pieces, almonds-pieces, yogurt, grapenuts, flaxseed ground, rasins, and a banana.

I usually add cinnamon and flax to the aots when they are cooking.

surgtech1956-I grew up on Cream of Wheat. I agree with what everyone else has said about it being bland. However, I add cinnimon while it is cooking. Then once it is finished I add everything else from my other list. So it is never boring.

Also, I use Zoom. It is a whole wheat cereal as well. I just repeat my same process as above. It is realtivily cheap at 2.00 a box.

summer oatmeal

This is called 'horse chow'but tastes great!
    add to DRY oatmeal
    raisins, currants, dates etc
    lemon juice
    pinch of sea salt

Eat like that!
    Also good with OJ poured on it.

My most common version:

- rolled oats and water cooked in the microwave (mine has an "oatmeal" magic button )
    - add frozen berries, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, and some unsweetened soymilk

Once in a while I will do steel cut oats...I just discovered it is much easier to cook a large batch, divvy it up into single serving containers (with my frozen berries) and freeze it, then just microwave them in the morning.

I've also been known to put cinnamon and soymilk on other grains including plain brown rice for breakfast.

Make Stuffed Oatmeal

Watch me in my kitchen. A How to video on the way I love my oatmeal.

I just uploaded a video of myself making my super bowl of oatmeal that I stuffed with good things. I have oatmeal I bet 364 days a year!!

It's on my blog today and on YouTube:
    Blog post: Too healthy Oatmeal
    Posting other videos of me cooking stuff on BicycleGirlCooks Watch for more new videos of me in the kitchen!
    Sarabeth"Life is much like riding a bicycle. If you don't stop pedaling, you won't fall off"
    http://bycycletrips.blogspot.com

Another idea...maybe??

I was wondering if anyone has used bulgar wheat in their hot cereals? I had some tonight with cinnamon, lightly cooked veggies and chicken pieces. As I was eating this, it occured to me to ask.

I was thinking of perhaps something like this:

1 cup oats-steel or old fashioned
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup bulgar
    plus whatever else you might want to add.

This is a lot for one serving. I was thinking ratios here. Mix it all together then take whatever amount you want to cook with and go from there.

Would this work? To much of anything?
    Thankyou for your help and suggestions.
    Red Rock

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Breakfast is not my home meal where I spend much time nor creativity. Unless we have an overnight guest..which the meal usually morphs into a brunch.

But this recipe might meet your needs:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=682629

I've made this Cranberry Walnut Tabbouleh as a side dish several Thxgiving dinners ago:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=682629
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    Didn't read all the replies - sorry, but just wanted to add a variation of your plan. 1/4 steel cut oats, 1 cup boiling water into thermos. Put on lid, sit on counter overnight. Still warm in the morning although I nuke it for 20-30 seconds to warm it up more. The thermos will have a slimy coating inside but no dried on oatmeal and it cleans up with hot water and soap, no scrubbing.
    I had been using one of those mini crock pots to make my steel cut oats, but this is one of the most brilliant things I have ever read. It is so simple, and would work wonders for me. I am so short on time in the am and forget to put water in the crock pot to soak.

Thanks!

I make an oatmeal/oatbran mix every morning:

1/3 cup regular oatmeal
    1/3 cup oatbran
    1 tsp. sugar
    some raisins
    cinnamon
    1 Cup Water
    Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Add if you want:
    Ground Flax Seed (about 1 tsp.)
    Vanilla Protein Powder (couple of teaspoons)
    Chopped Walnuts (about 5 halves)
    Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, banana or peach)
    Milk

The oatbran gives you extra soluble fiber and it makes the oatmeal have a better consistency than plain. The raisins keep it from boiling over in the microwave. The protein powder gives you something that keeps you from getting hungry again in the middle of the morning. Tastes great, is fast and works for me. While it's in the microwave I grind and make coffee. Everything is ready in 5 minutes.

This is my favorite way to eat oatmeal, with some banana whipped in while cooking on the stovetop. Natural sweetness and it makes it sooooo creamy!!!

I learned the method here: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/