Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ok, bought the Trek Pilot.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, everyone...it's now serious...I put $200 down of the Trek Pilot WSD at my lbs. I got measured for it on Friday; took it out for a spin with one of the bike guys riding beside me to watch my pedaling/stroking/handlbar/hands on the bars/etc..probably watching my not inconsiderable rump..but what the hell.
    I liked it very much...but remember, I'm riding a Raleigh C-40 that's somewhat ...um...cumbersome????
    What was truly amazing to me was that,when I pushed down on my left foot, the bike, indeed, went forward in the same proportion as my effort... absolutely amazing... It also seemed very fast...grin....
    So, my plan is to continue to ride the Raleigh until the snow flies here in Maine,(any day now), and then put the Raleigh on a trainer and bike to my heart's content all winter. The bike shop said that I could take the seat from the Pilot and put it on the Raleigh if I wanted to break in my seat bones.
    The Trek Across Maine is in June, so I hope by April or so, I'll be out on the road again with MY NEW BIKE!!!!
    Jan

Congratulations o your new bike. May you enjoy many, many rides with it.

I have a Trek 1000 and love it.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Smile

Congrats on the new bike I test rode a Pilot 1.0 and they're nice too. Happy riding. Jennifer

wow, you must be very patient. pedal all winter on the old one. That's a good idea. congrats on the new bike.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Which Pilot did you put money on? I just bought a 5.0 a few days ago and got fitted today. Looking forward to lots of fun miles!

I also put $400.00 down on a TREK pilot 2.1 WSD. Im looking forward to the new saddle. Its got to be better than the one on my husbands hybrid...OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you ,I dont really need it now in the rain ,and wind we have here ,so Ill probably get it out in January sometime.

I love my Pilot 5.0, but you might not love the saddle. Those Bontrager saddles are not so great. But y'all will have plenty of time to start searching for a good saddle. I also found that my reaction to the saddle on the trainer is different from how it feels on the road. Congrats on the Pilots--super bicycles in my book.

Thanks everyone for your support...especially about looking for a new saddle. I've heard over and over,(um...READ over and over..grin) on these boards about the Bontrager saddle that comes on the Pilot.....I've already made up my mind that I'm gong to have to get something else.
    Went to the lbs today and looked at trainers; the cheapest one was, gulp, $140.00...seems a little steep for me...so I'm going to cruise the net looking for alternative pricing.

Jan

That Bontrager saddle is HORRIBLE.
    I put on a Specialized Dolce saddle I had laying around but I might take the torn up WTB men's saddle off the old Giant and put it on the new Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by mtkitchn View Post
    That Bontrager saddle is HORRIBLE.
    I put on a Specialized Dolce saddle I had laying around but I might take the torn up WTB men's saddle off the old Giant and put it on the new Pilot.
    Well I must be the one Pilot owner that isn't ticked with the saddle, but then again I know nothing different. What exactly makes it so bad for the rest of you? What does riding on the perfect saddle feel like?

congrats to the new Pilot owners-to-be, it's a great bike & I am sure you'll love it.

tygab,
    I hear that the Bontrager saddle is hit or miss for most people. For me it is way too mushy on my rear, and there is too much saddle between my legs. I never had an issue with my entry level Giant's saddle and didn't understand the problems people had with saddles until I rode with that Bontrager. If your saddle is good for you, be happy!

It just hits me in the wrong places. It's not lined up to my butt.

Bontrager saddles

My dh and I bought Pilot 2.1 's this past summer - they are great bikes! It was funny; his saddle was horrible, but the saddle on my wsd was great! Our lbs guy said that many women rave about the wsd saddles....you may want to try it out before you go out and spend lotsa $$$$ on a new one. -Just my opinion-

Patty

Just ride it. It may be OK for you, but there are plenty of women who call them the torture saddles. I hope it works, but if it's uncomfortable, get another saddle. I spent lots of time & money trying all sorts of lotions and potions that really didn't help because the saddle hurt my soft tissue. As Nanci said in a post---it felt like you were peeing razorblades. Then I finally hit upon a saddle that is just fine. I mean, it's not like sitting in a comfy chair, but my booty is not consuming my thoughts because of the discomfort.