Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Traning schedule

To disable ads, please log-in.

Re: the woman who weighed 390 pounds and did a tri. Guess that means I'm definitely not the heaviest woman to ever do one.

Re: training schedules. Here's what I'm doing right now, but it needs some tweaking because lifting weights and then spinning the next day is not working for me.

Also I want to add more swim sessions because I enjoy it so much and because I suck at it.

Monday: a.m. spinning class
    Tuesday: a.m. 1,000-meter swim; p.m. weight loss support group (T.O.P.S.)
    Wednesday: p.m. personal trainer session of 30 minutes walking, 30 minutes weights
    Thursday: a.m. 1,000-meter swim; p.m. 30-40 minutes elliptical (will jog once I am able)
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 20-mile bike ride
    Sunday: a.m. 60-minute walk (about 4.2 miles); p.m. 60-minutes weights (total body)

Re: what to wear. Yes, tri shorts and tri top. Do NOT try to put on clothing when you're wet, with the exception of maybe socks. My tri shorts (Desoto) have a small pad and a pocket on the leg where I put my gel (after the swim, of course). Even though I'm doing a sprint triathlon, I use one Gu because it takes me about 2 hours to finish.

What do you do when it is 50 degress

Quote Originally Posted by JmcG View Post
    That's a good question. How cold is cold? I've only done tris in warm weather....

What do you do for clothes if it is 50 degrees when you get out of water and now you have to do your bike and run?

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    What do you do for clothes if it is 50 degrees when you get out of water and now you have to do your bike and run?
    Well... for me... I put on pants, a jacket, and full gloves... over my tri suit... and I was the only one wearing that much clothing.

I also put a towel by the exit from the pool... so I could dry off on the way to transition.

The weather was around 45-50 with wind gusts up to 30 mph. It was COLD!!!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Thanks ya'll~!

Thanks for inspiring ladies....eclictic, off the grid, ksh, robyn....

Offthegrid turned me onto the Danskin Tri's and there is one in Denver in July.

That's it, I'm doing it.

Thanks ladies!
    I love the links you have all offered and especially the training schedules and such.
    Helps tons!
    b

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    Yep - that's pretty cold for being wet. Be really careful of hypothermia. I guess you just put on leg or knee warmers and warm gloves and hope you dry off quickly? I wish I had a better answer. Anyone else have suggestions?

shoerbee - I would LOVE to do the July one in Denver, the only probelm is it is a 15 hour drive from here - I have driven it in one day - not fun. I have the time but the expense may be more than is feasible but I am definately going to keep it on the back burner and see if I can work out the logistics.

I may just do a state one in July or one in South Dakota in June - but the Danskin one - THAT is the one I REALLY would like to do.

This is SUCH a good motivator - Thank you ALL.

I had Parent teacher conf last night until after 7 (after teaching from 7:30am on) and I STILL went to the gym and did the elliptical and ran. Now that is a first.

After doing the elliptical for 30 min (level 9, hills, w/ reverse thrown in maintaining 68-70 rpms - cycling has definately helped) I walked 2 laps, ran 8, walked 2 ran 8 and walked 3.

10 laps is a mile so I am almost there! It took me about 32 min to do 2.5 mile (the last .5 wasn't a very fast walk.)

I timed myself again and with the walking it really is about 12 minutes per mile. I just may get there after all.

I finally figured out a beginning training schedule that is doable:

Sunday: Spinning class 1 hour, weights - arms/back

Monday: Swim 1 hour AM, Elliptical/run 1 hour PM eventually add leg weights

Tuesday: OFF day (other commitments)

Wed: Swim 45 min, weights arms/back

Thur: Elliptical/run 1 hour

Fri: bike/trainer using the Chris Carmichael time trial DVD - 1 hour
    Socialize the rest of the evening I mean we DO need balance

Sat: Elliptical/run, weights - legs, eventually add swimming

I realize as it gets closer I will have to double up more but by then I will have more time to do it. 6 days per week, 3 events, each event 3 days per week = 3 days of double up eventually

My goal at first was just to finish - Now it is to finish in STYLE

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Eclectic...

I was reviewing your workout:

Sunday: Spinning class 1 hour, weights - arms/back

Monday: Swim 1 hour AM, Elliptical/run 1 hour PM eventually add leg weights

Tuesday: OFF day (other commitments)

Wed: Swim 45 min, weights arms/back

Thur: Elliptical/run 1 hour

Fri: bike/trainer using the Chris Carmichael time trial DVD - 1 hour
    Socialize the rest of the evening I mean we DO need balance

Sat: Elliptical/run, weights - legs, eventually add swimming
    Let me ask a few questions:

Why all of the elliptical training? Is it to get in extra cardio?

Why all of the swimming... aren't you a strong swimmer already? I know I am, and for sprints, I can literally train 2 times a month and come out 3rd in my age group in competition.

Are you a strong cyclists? Can you cycle outside at all? Or is it just too cold?

Is there anyway you can add 1 brick (bike to run) a week in there? That is really important. Even if it's a spin class to a treadmill. Or maybe add a run after your trainer ride on Fri? If you do that, you could probably miss the running on Sat.

Why weights for your arms/back 2 times a week? I would guess you are working different body parts, right?

With that said... you have a really aggressive workout schedule and for a sprint tri... you will be MORE than ready. Honestly, with about 4-6 hours of training a week, sprints are very doable.

Keep in mind that you need to focus on your weak areas. And the elliptical is great for the extra cardio, but won't really affect your running all that much. If you are short on time, focus on your walk/run combo over the elliptical machine.

Now, with running... the rule is that you want to up your miles running by 10% each week to keep from getting any type of injuries.

Now, I'm not an expert. I don't win my age group at tri's... and I have only done a handful of events. I'm just giving this advice based on what I experienced in my Tri 101 class and training for the past couple of years. But I am NOT an expert.

Your workout schedule does look aggressive though and you will certainly be more than ready.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Thanks KSH so much for looking it over so well for me And thanks for your input it is much appreciated You are WAY more an expert than I. That is why I think it is good to lay our plans out there.

I am a TOTAL over planner. When I trained for my first bike tour this summer I was told to get at least 500 miles on - I did 1000.

this plan is for the next few months then I it will be altered as my life commitments change

I am a non runner so that is the area I need to build up. You are correct, I am doing the elliptical for cardio and because I have a health issue where I have to be really careful of doing anything that is impact. Right now a full hour of walking/running would be too much. When I can run more easily I plan on lessening the elliptical time gradually and increasing the track time. The amount I am doing now doesn’t hurt and the recovery time is adequate - YIPPEE!

I was planning on adding a brick after I got my running up to par. It won't probably happen until early spring just because of the weather (I know a lot of people run in the cold on the snow and ice but I am a chicken) We'll see about my recovery after I start spin class I suppose it would be good to go on the treadmill or track even for a little to get used to the transition

I can't bike outside anymore thus the spinning

Strength training is because I am not very strong, also because of my age it is important to ward off oesteoporosis as biking and swimming are non weight bearing, I split it up between arms and legs just for the time factor

I am so scared to ease up on the cycling and swimming for fear of losing what I have gained (also I haven’t been swimming since last May and I have lost a lot in power and speed - my skills are still good however.

I always have said my body has to work twice as hard to get half as good as everyone else. I do not build muscle easily. Once I get going I can go a long time just not fast or strong

One good thing is the Dr gave me new asthma medicine and I can swim a whole session w/o a snorkel again for the first time in 2 years

Thanks again so much!

Ah... right! Well, forgive me for forgetting about your health issues.

Yea, doing 1 hour of walking/running- not a good thing for you right now. But honestly, for 5K training, you probably won't ever need to do an hour of running. But that's just my opinion.

My running coach though, if he's training someone for a 5K, he trains them for 6 miles... so you are good and ready for 3.2 miles. Yea... uummm... I don't know about that one.

Well, considering your health issues, you are doing an amazing job. Yea, get to doing bricks when you are up to it. Just make sure you do some a couple of months out before race day.

In the end though, we all know our own bodies the best. I know I can train 2 times a month for a solid swim... and I know that if I only run 2 times a week, I will die on the run.

GOOD LUCK! Keep up the hard work!

Eclectic, we have similar schedules. I just wanted to throw out there that my trainer said weights twice a week is plenty because of the amount of other activity I do. We'll probably phase it out or cut it down drastically when the season starts. So if you want to ease up your schedule a bit, you could do only two sessions/week.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    Ah... right! Well, forgive me for forgetting about your health issues.

!
    No need to apologize It isn't like we know every body type, aches and pains of everyone on the forum.

I really like the input. I mull it around, chew on it for awhile and either take it to heart or spit it out.

I don't think I will get that much swimming in . I went tonight and got 600 yards in when a friend showed up who I had promised to help swim better. By the time I got him fitted w/ my snorkel and spare pink goggles and figured out he couldn't even hold the kick board and kick because his kick was so bad it was time to get out

Off the grid - thanks for the weight training input. I am so scared to let up. I haven't done any resistance training since last May and my upper body has deteriorated terribly(well not terribly but more than I would like). I know that once spring hits I will be outside running and biking and the weights will be down the tubes just like what happened this year.
    Weights are the hardest thing to fit in. I figure when I swim I don't use my legs much (I don't have a very good kick and when I asked my coach what I could do to make it stronger she said "nothing, it will never be very good, you are a natural breaststroker") so I could do legs on swim days, and I figure when I spin I don't use my arms so I could do arm weights on cycling days, 4 sessions actually only add up to 2 full body ones.

Today I had the time and didn't swim hard so I did the full round.

tommorrow is run day so I shall see how it goes, I am still trying to find out what my current level is.

I am not sure of what kind of training plan to put together. I won't be starting to swim until January, as I have no pool access now. Swimming will be my weakest thing, but I generally suck at running, too. I can run/walk 3 miles, VERY hilly, up and down in about 40 minutes now. I just want to do a ten minute mile on the run. I may have to drive somewhere flatter to train. I will not worry about the cycling. I mean, I can't compete with people who are really triathletes, but I can hold my own with "regular" cyclists my age. My question is, I am starting to do the Cyclo-Core DVDs to work on core fitness and strength. They are really hard, but I need to work on this, as I have osteopenia and I live in fear of crashing and breaking my hip. I also need to work on balance. I don't want to over train for the tri, so can anyone recommend a schedule? I will be doing a combination of inside and outside training in the winter. Right now I am still riding outside a little, but the trainer is ready. And I tend to get sick when I overdo...
    A couple of weeks ago I experimented with a brick at the health club. Did a spin class and then ran on the treadmill. I found that I could run faster and felt better with the running after cycling, mostly because it takes me a very long time to warm up. I always feel horrible for the first 20-30 minutes of a ride! But, I felt kind of on the edge of "dizzy." It most likely was from hunger (next time will eat a Clif Bar), but I hope this won't be a problem for me. It was slightly reminiscent of the first time I did an aerobics class in 1981. I had to pull over on the side of the road on the way home!

If you want some good workout plans for the average person wanting to train for tri's.... get this book:

Triathlon Training for the Rest of Us: From Couch to Starting Line in Four Hours a Week
    by Eric Harr

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin View Post
    but I generally suck at running, too. I can run/walk 3 miles, VERY hilly, up and down in about 40 minutes now. I just want to do a ten minute mile on the run. I will not worry about the cycling. I mean, I can't compete with people who are really triathletes, but I can hold my own with "regular" cyclists my age. . And I tend to get sick when I overdo...
    A couple of weeks ago I experimented with a brick at the health club. Did a spin class and then ran on the treadmill. I found that I could run faster and felt better with the running after cycling, mostly because it takes me a very long time to warm up. I always feel horrible for the first 20-30 minutes of a ride! But, I felt kind of on the edge of "dizzy." It most likely was from hunger (next time will eat a Clif Bar), but I hope this won't be a problem for me. !
    I can't help you with any training plans - BTW thanks for the book recommendation KSH - But I can tell you you don't suck at running, you are doing way better than I am! My goal is for an 11 minute mile - 10 would be heavenly!

Man can I relate to the 20-30 minutes of misery on a ride. I gain strength and speed the longer I go if I don't push it from the get go. I am kind of suspecting doing a brick won't be that bad because I will be warmed up.

I talked to one of the speedster cyclists last night at the gym (he was just getting back since April ) He had done a sprint tri awhile ago and said his biggest problem was not warming up enough before starting - he said it took him 8 miles of the ride before he got his legs going. he recommended a mile run and 5 mile ride to warm up. I know that is a ways down the road but something for me to think about (swimming I always did 2-300 yards slow pace to warm up for a 100 meter race)
    I am always scared of wearing myself out before starting but I just have to gain confidence, know that I need the extra warmup time and just take it slow.

talked to one of the speedster cyclists last night at the gym (he was just getting back since April ) He had done a sprint tri awhile ago and said his biggest problem was not warming up enough before starting - he said it took him 8 miles of the ride before he got his legs going. he recommended a mile run and 5 mile ride to warm up. I know that is a ways down the road but something for me to think about (swimming I always did 2-300 yards slow pace to warm up for a 100 meter race)
    I am always scared of wearing myself out before starting but I just have to gain confidence, know that I need the extra warmup time and just take it slow.
    I know for me... I can't just pop in the water and sprint 300-500 yards. I need to get warmed up first.

Because of this, I always try to get some water time in before the race starts.

Otherwise, I had tried running to warm up... BUT you have to leave your running shoes and socks in transition... and you setup transition so far ahead of time... the running I did really didn't affect the race, since it was another 30-45 minutes until I raced (pre race meeting... and if you have a pool swim you are in a line to get in the water).

Each person finds what works for them though.

But I can tell you you don't suck at running, you are doing way better than I am! My goal is for an 11 minute mile - 10 would be heavenly!
    Even though that comment wasn't aimed at me... Well, for each person... what's fast and what is slow differs. It's all about personal goals. Right?

I know for me, in my age group, if I could just run a 7-8 minute mile, I would possibly place in the top 5, versus the bottom 5. Running a 10-11 minute mile in my races drops me so many spots.

BUT, I also know that I am lucky to run a sub 10-minute mile... AT ALL these days... and I feel good when I do it. Sure, it won't win me anything... but it's all about my personal goals.
    Last edited by KSH; 11-09-2006 at 09:57 AM.