Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bunionettes - don't they sound cute?

To disable ads, please log-in.

they sound cute but they are quite painful!

i finially made a dr apointment to see what's going on with my feet. i've had these bunionettes since i was a child and over the last 4 years they have gotten out of control. i'm doing what i can to prevent them from getting worse, but it doesn't seem like its helping.

i wear a half size bigger and wider to give them room. comfy shoes. custom orthotics... yadda yadda yadda. so all i can figure is i'm going to have to have surgery on them. i no longer own a pair of shoes that don't irritate them. even if i'm not wearing shoes they hurt like you know what. its one of those searig/stabbing pains that send chills down your spine.

has anyone ever had bunionettes (or even bunions) and had this much pain? what about surgery? anyone have that? my online research says it will be a few weeks for recovery. what am i going to do for a few weeks without being able to be on my feet?

i'm scared about the surgery aspect of it, but happy about it if it makes me feel better. they have hurt so bad its actually brought tears to my eyes.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

My senior year in college I had to have one removed. I don't remember recovery being all that long. Although I was supposed to still be in the boot for graduation and refused to wear it. I was in a bit of pain that afternoon.

My surgeon swam at the pool where I was a lifeguard. That was cool because she okayed me getting back in the water pretty quickly. As long as I didn't push off with that foot.

Mine was caused by a biomechanical issue. My ankles tend to lean in and my foot stays flexible when I push off as I walk. I don't use anything special, but have focused on the ankle thing to keep the one on the other foot from becoming an issue.

It's been 15 years since my surgery.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I have nothing to share, except to say I am sorry you are hurting and the doctors are able to do something to stop the pain. Keep us updated.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

chickwhorips - I had the surgery 5+ years ago. They did the 5th and 1st met at the same time. I did it definitely during the winter since it was an 8 week recovery. Like you, I was in way too much pain. I am so glad I had the surgery. My foot no longer hurts (unless I have injured it). I still am quite careful about the shoes I choose even though my width decreased some. Please let me know if you have any questions. I figure I've been there.

I have no words of wisdom or encouragement. I do have lots of mental hugs going your way tho.

And on a side note, you sound as if you treat your bunionettes (female bunions? kiddie bunions?) almost as good as I treat my dogs with all the special squishy and roomy shoes etc you buy solely for them (no pun intended).
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Oh dear. I didn't know what a bunion was, so I researched it. And kept on researching. According to my genes and athletics I've got a hammertoe coming in the left foot before I'm forty. This is not something a twenty-one-year-old should have in the back of her mind.

Good luck with the little bunionette darlings!

I was born with hammertoes. I grew up thinking everyone's two little toes totally curled under.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I was born with hammertoes. I grew up thinking everyone's two little toes totally curled under.

V.
    46 and i've just found out everyone's little toes arent curled under like mine
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

My grandmother had to have her bunions zapped. She felt WAY better after she had it done.

My dad has them, and we all have the same feet, so I'm sure I'm destined for them as well. Right now I just have callouses on the widest parts of my feet that rub on shoes and sometimes blisters, no super bunions. I've been very careful to try to run in shoes that are wide enough for my feet, and for every day shoes to try to find the best width fit. It's really difficult for normal shoes, but since I've been running I've needed my regular shoes to fit well or they hurt. I've been wearing Keens since the summer, and when I wear them too soon after I run, my feet kill in the bunion area. When I wear my old running shoes (before I got picky), womens wide GT-2100s (had to switch to mens 2Es), after biking/running to work, the same thing happens.

Hopefully all goes well. It seems like if they really do hurt, the surgery will really help. It sucks to be in that position, but feet are so sensitive and so critical. Maybe once they feel better you won't have to spend so much on fancy orthotics

Thinking about it, it seems I see quite a few of these during a week. I do pre and post surgery xrays. Then followups down the line. Every single one of them says it's so much better now. They wish they had done it years ago. On the xray, it just looks like they shave off the excess bone cuz it's all smooth looking after.

Best wishes and good luck.

X.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Cool Foot deformity --- OUCH!!

Ah, my first post and it's in reply to your bunionette problem. There is nothing cute about pain! I had a bunionectomy performed last December. Recovery is about 3-4 months, but I believe mine was a much more involved surgery since they have to break the 1st metatarsal or remove a wedge of bone from it to set that bone straight again. They also have to shave off a little of the petruding bone. I am not sure what is involved with the bunionette surgery, but I can't imagine that it's any more involved than a bunionectomy. I do want to assure you that I am very glad I had it done. The recovery was relatively easy and virtually pain free (say yes to drugs!). I simply couldn't live with that foot pain and still be active in sports. It was well worth it. Hope this helps
    Last edited by LAB; 11-02-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Adding information --- I was an xray tech in a former life --- the bone heals to look normal again!

thanks lab. you girls give me hope that i'm doing the right thing, as terrified as i am.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

CWR - definately take care of problems you may have now to avoid even bigger problems when you get older.

Sadly, my feet are probably the one reason I will never get to do a TRI - not happy about that....

Keep us posted.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

CWR - I have a slightly different spin on this (you knew I would ). I have a bunion on my right foot. I brought it up at a chiro appt and guess what? He adjusted my ankle, foot and toes. No more pain! It's pretty rare to find a chiro who knows anything about ajustments beyond neck and spine, but this guy is worth his weight in gold. He promises me it will not get worse if I keep them adjusted since a bunion is caused by the bone moving out of the joint.

So, for me for now, I am staying away from the pediatrist and visiting the chiro every few weeks. He also told me to periodically pull on my toes (pull them straight out) until they crack. They will help keep them in the joint correctly.

For whatever it's worth........
    Dar

mtbdarby - Please ask your Chiro why the bone is moving out of the joint? Basically, there has to be a cause.