Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

I really DO know that bad spelling and/or grammar is not a sign of poor intelligence. But the confusion of homophones here seems to be getting worse (rode/road, pedal/peddle). It does bug me. I admit it. I still read everything, though. I just wonder if some people write like that at work, or is it because this is a more casual usage situation. Some errors are so consistent over many posts, that I know they are not typos. I make many of those myself, but my browser (Safari) picks them up. Like I tell my students, "Those little red and green lines mean something!"

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I really DO know that bad spelling and/or grammar is not a sign of poor intelligence. But the confusion of homophones here seems to be getting worse (rode/road, pedal/peddle). It does bug me. I admit it. I still read everything, though. I just wonder if some people write like that at work, or is it because this is a more casual usage situation. Some errors are so consistent over many posts, that I know they are not typos. I make many of those myself, but my browser (Safari) picks them up. Like I tell my students, "Those little red and green lines mean something!"
    ah, the spell checker.
    Someone I know wrote a short story about someone named Smitty. It's dramatic and sad. Well, somehow the spell checker kicked in and changed some of the Smittys to Smutty. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, as he fixed some of them but not others....
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    ah, the spell checker.
    Someone I know wrote a short story about someone named Smitty. It's dramatic and sad. Well, somehow the spell checker kicked in and changed some of the Smittys to Smutty. I couldn't help but laugh out loud, as he fixed some of them but not others....
    Oh, you mean like the time I wrote a paper about relative plate motions for a geology class in college, and the dang spell-checker changed every "subduction zone" to "seduction zone" and "orogeny" to "erogeny" (which I failed to notice)? (Gives a new meaning to "thrust fault!")

My prof got a good laugh out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by trickytiger View Post
    Oh, you mean like the time I wrote a paper about relative plate motions for a geology class in college, and the dang spell-checker changed every "subduction zone" to "seduction zone" and "orogeny" to "erogeny" (which I failed to notice)? (Gives a new meaning to "thrust fault!")

My prof got a good laugh out of that.
    this is way better than Smutty.

and Possegal, I used to put odd things in work reports I wrote to make sure my lead was reading them.
    If he didn't catch them the first time I would tell him he'd better check again.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

That's it. I can know longer post to TE from work. There's know Mozilla hear.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I admit that I cannot spell. I have always been missing that gene so I apologize ahead of time for my mistakes as they are bound to happen (spell check or not). That said, I do my best.

I will say that I find things like road/rode and peddle/pedal actually highly distracting when I'm reading a post. I also bristle at the use of 'alot'. Of course, neither of these things really compare to my utter hatred for the non-word 'prolly'. I actually used to work with people who honestly thought that prolly was a word. These were people with advanced degrees in engineering, no less. Ugh.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    . Of course, neither of these things really compare to my utter hatred for the non-word 'prolly'. I actually used to work with people who honestly thought that prolly was a word. These were people with advanced degrees in engineering, no less. Ugh.
    Speaking of non-words, how about welp? Is that like a dog ?
    Where did it come from?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA