Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

I think maybe this is one of those triple vs. compact things. Although since I've only ever ridden with a compact double once, when I'd just returned to road cycling, I don't actually know. (I'll still defend my triple to the death, though, especially now that I've put on shorter gearing on my cassette. )

I've got R700 shifters (short reach Ultegra grade shifters) and a triple, my hands aren't super small but small enough to need those shifters, and it's pretty much as far as I can reach to upshift the FD. I do have to be careful I don't inadvertently steer while shifting.

Downshifting is easier, so it probably has more to do with the amount of tension I'm exerting on the cable, than the actual distance of travel.

It's a 105 FD though. Maybe Ultegra would be easier (do they make those for triples?)
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-21-2009 at 03:56 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's a 105 FD though. Maybe Ultegra would be easier (do they make those for triples?)

I have an Ultegra FD for my triple. I got it last year, when I brought the bike to the shop for the umpteenth adjustment to the Tiagra FD that came on the bike, and it broke while the tech was working on it. The only one they had in stock was an Ultegra so they gave it to me for free. It was a big improvement over the Tiagra.

I've been having an issue this summer that I never had before. I mostly ride in the middle chain ring and largest-middle cogs. I've always had to do the extra half-shift when shifting back to the middle from either the small or large ring to stop the chain from rattling. But lately when the road flattens out and I shift from the bigger cogs to the middle, the chain rattles and the only way to stop it is to shift into the big chain ring, then shift back to the middle but not follow that with a half-shift. But then at the next hill when I shift to a bigger cog it starts rattling again. It's very annoying.

Thanks for posting this question - it clears things up for me, too.

Ultegra and 105 front shifting (as far as brifter action) will have no noticeable differences. Both are made to work with doubles or triples. The trim is only in the small ring (1/2 shift keeps you from cross-chaining when you are in the small ring/small cog combo). Dura Ace is double or triple specific (though I'm not sure that 7900 series has a triple option yet). However, DA7801 (for doubles) does have front derailleur trim when you are in both rings (there's a 1/2 shift either direction).

Many people seem to have a hard time with the harder, longer throw of the large lever for 105/Ultegra shifters (DA is an easier hand motion). So, people are maybe more likely to mis-shift and wind up trimming the FD by accident.