Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting a trainer...ideas re bike for the trainer?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am about to get a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. I don't want to put my current road bike on it because I am also still riding outdoors and have no desire to lug the bike back and forth--I want a bike I can leave on the trainer.

Sounds like it's important to have the same riding positiion you have on the road so you can train those muscles properly, so I am looking for a cheap road bike in my size (50 cm.) to put on the trainer. Am about to go to the local used bike place. Craig's List seems to have mostly mountain bikes listed right now, around here.

Any other ideas on how to get a bike that'll work for this trainer? Thanks.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

For a long time I did lug my bike back and forth, into the trainer and out of the trainer. It wasn't too bad. There were no stairs involved.

We initially had a mountain bike in the trainer, before we had singles. When we only had mountain bikes and a tandem.

I don't know that it is that crucial to have the same sort of bike in the trainer.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I bought a Kurt Kinetic a couple of months ago and quickly learned a few things:

-get a bike that has at least halfway decent components. Poor shifting/performance is almost as annoying on the trainer as it is on the road.
    - it may take you a while to dial in the right tension for the rear wheel (at least it did me). Once you get it right, it will feel remarkably like being on the road.
    - get a couple of spare tires for the rear.
    - get a multi-height stand for the front wheel so you can vary the height of the front in relation to the back. It'll make finding a comfortable riding position much easier. (the one I got in the pic below was an extra $20 and well worth it. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trainer_and_tiki.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	5135  
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Another tire tip, Continental makes a hometrainer tire. I haven't had an issue with rear tires being chewed by the trainer (I run Michelin Pro2 Race tires) but some people do. I have installed the Conti for this winter trainer season and so far I've been pleased. YMMV. I have the Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll trainer.
    Susan

Try not. Do or do not... there is no try.
    Yoda

2004 Airborne WASP (road)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday New World Tourist (commuter)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro/Selle An-Atomica

Salsa, the bike on my trainer has a lower top tube (it's a hybrid) The thing is a lot harder to get in and out of, so having a lower tube helps.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Good on you Salsa for getting a different bike for your trainer.

I am a strong advocate of NOT putting precious (either sentimentally or financially) bikes onto trainers.

Its not crucial to have the same sort of bike on the trainer, you just need a bike that fits you.

Also - about tyres, before we bought the spin bike and had a bike set up on a trainer, we used tyres that were worn out for the road but still had some life on them.

Must be the Scots blood in us... we try and extract every cent from anything we buy!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I do the same thing as Raven on the tires. Your back tire wears faster than the front, so when I put new on last spring, I took a good tire off the front. It's now on the back, on the trainer, but good enough to go out on the road should the weather allow.

I actually saved an old wheel as well as tires for use with my trainer. But I have only one road bike so that's what I use on my trainer, I just swap out the rear wheel once we hit indoor season.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Hey Salsa,

How about Plan B? Instead of buying a used bike for the trainer, why don't you put your present bike on the trainer and buy a new, extra-spiffy bike to use outside?

Just doing my part to help the economy and justify buying new bike stuff...

-- Melissa

PS I use my old Bianchi on the trainer. It's the bike I bought during my second year in college, so it goes against RoadRaven's advice of not putting a sentimentally precious bike on the trainer. OTOH, if something were to happen to the Bianchi on the trainer, I'd consider it ample payback for the time it broke my leg.

Ha! Don't think I didn't consider that, melissam. But I'm not done with the Bianchi yet...

You made me laugh loudly. Then I showed my spouse your post and HE laughed loudly.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

So here's what we've found so far that we think will work---an '07 8-speed Raleigh on sale for $315 (Sora shifters). Best we seem to be able to do without spending a couple of months haunting Craig's List.

Tension on wheel

How do you know how much tension to put on the rear wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Drtgirl View Post
    How do you know how much tension to put on the rear wheel?
    I've always used just enough that the tire doesn't slip if I put my thumb on the trainer wheel and try to turn the bike wheel.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    I am a strong advocate of NOT putting precious (either sentimentally or financially) bikes onto trainers.
    Are there horror stories? What happens? (Now you have me worried...)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I'll second the reccommendation for a Conti home trainer tire. We have a wheel with one permenently mounted. I'm not totally sure how the Kurt Kinetic works, but I think it may be somewhat similar to what we have. Its a Computrainer and it will automatically change the difficulty. When it starts sending you up a "hill" a regular road tire tends to slip, while the Conti remains nice and smooth.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N