Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

650c wheelset recomendations and steel options

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi: I am currently contemplating the idea of getting a semi custom Rodriguez steel frame. This will require 650c wheels. Can you give me recomendations of what wheels I can get and if custom which places should I be looking at. They have 753, ox platinum and S3 steel. I know I can not get S3 due to price. But is it worth the price difference ($450) from 753 to ox platinum. What is your experience if going with steel. All your experience will be appreciated. I know I can count on all you girls. Thanks,
    Rodriguez/ ARS saddle

How tall are you/what bike size do you take.... Smiley tries to tell everyone (well at least everyone female) that they need 650's whether they do or not.... You *can* get one a Rod with 700's - a teammate of mine actually has one of these rare birds. She's a fitter and a PT and knows what she needs. She basically had to tell him my way or the highway, but he did as she asked.

In my experience 650 rims and tires are getting to be harder to find. The selection, which was always smaller than 700's, has been shrinking even more. If you would fit 700's, I'd go with them.

Customs don't have to be expensive. I get the wheels for my rain bike hand built and they usually cost me something around $200-300 for the pair (I do usually get inexpensive, heavy rims as on that particular bike I'm interested in durability over weight). If you can find a local shop that has a good wheel builder and buy from them. If that is not an option I know that there are a few people here who have had good experiences with their online builders.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I am 4' 11". I am considering getting the steel bike due to proper fitting. I have short inseam and long arms. Have not felt comfortable with the bikes I have had even being small. I do have the toe overlap problem. I do need an online builder. Don't have any builders where I live.
    Rodriguez/ ARS saddle

Quote Originally Posted by hid558 View Post
    I am 4' 11". I am considering getting the steel bike due to proper fitting. I have short inseam and long arms. Have not felt comfortable with the bikes I have had even being small. I do have the toe overlap problem. I do need an online builder. Don't have any builders where I live.
    At your size, I would definitely agree with going with 650c wheels. I wish I understood why there is such a stigma associated with them.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    At your size, I would definitely agree with going with 650c wheels. I wish I understood why there is such a stigma associated with them.
    I find it very irritating that it is hard to find tire options for my 650c wheels. Not a lot of choices. Some choice in 23s. One choice in 25s (Panaracer Pasela) and I think one in 28.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Yeah, at that size it might be hard to find a 700c bike that works - especially if there are toe overlap problems. That said The guy who builds Rodriquizes really does seem to try to force them on everyone..... (Like my 5'6" ish teammate who has several... And has recently finally switched all of them for bikes with 700's)

I have bikes with both. If I didn't race it might not be a big issue, but I definitely notice the difference in selection and availability of 650c rims and tires. Even tubes are getting harder to find. Interestingly, I actually fit my 700c bike better, even at my small size (I'm 5 even). I don't have any toe overlap issues, but I do have small feet.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Like Eden I'm also 5 even and my bike with 700's fits better than the one with 650's. I do have a bit of toe overlap with mine, but it's not bad. Come to think of it I have toe overlap with both bikes and it's about the same on both.

Given that 26" wheels have been so common since mountain bikes entered the market in the early 80s, I've always wondered: why 650c? Why didn't bike manufacturers just make a narrower version of the 26" wheel? For a while it was possible (maybe still is) to get 1.25" slicks for mountain bikes, how hard would it be to go just 1/4" narrower? Why introduce an almost-but-not-quite identical European size?
    Queen of the sea beasts

I just had a TI bike built with custom 650 wheels. He used Mavic CXP 33 rims and Continental Grand Prix tires. Can't really comment any more since I haven't ridden her yet. Got her last night. Can't wait till tomorrow.

My custom ti bike has 700 wheels and I do have toe overlap, as it's a more relaxed geometry. I have to be aware when I turn into my driveway, a very sharp turn. I never thought about getting 650 wheels; I had them on my first 2 bikes. I am 5' 1."
    My carbon bike has 700 wheels, but I don't have any toe overlap.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm 5'6" and have 650c on my custom bike. I have long legs, short torso, long feet, and wanted fenders. The bike looks funny with a very long head tube, but no toe overlap and it rides wonderfully. I built my own wheelset with Mavic CXP 33 rims and Dura Ace hubs. I also have a set of 26" wheels that fit the bike and take 26x1.3 tires for commuting and touring.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72