Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingRN View Post
    Indeed!! I threw myself under the bus on that one!! I am definitely going to ease into this next one. I will do what I can when I can, and accept what I can't do at that given time. There are many experienced cyclist in my area and it's a bit intimidating, I want to be that good. I guess you can't be good if you are belly up in a ditch!!

I really appreciate every response, this is why I joined the TE forum.
    I've so been in your shoes. When I first started riding, it was in an effort to endear myself to my then-boyfriend, who was a pretty strong rider. Oh, what folly. One of my first serious rides was 42 miles. With him and only him. On a hot day. The only food I had on me was a Peanut Butter flavored Clif Bar. I wasn't yet adept at drinking from a water bottle while moving, so I got pretty parched during the ride. I finally begged for a break so that I could eat something, but I was feeling so poorly at that point and was so thirsty, that the Clif Bar tasted like dry oats. I couldn't even choke it down. I can barely even look at one now, let alone eat one. I'm not even sure how I managed to finish that ride; it was a nightmare.

I rethought my strategy at that point (and we broke up not long thereafter) and took a more measured approach. He and I remained friend as it turned out, and I eventually got strong enough not only to keep up, but on occassion to kick his butt! So, we learn from both our mistakes and our victories.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I've so been in your shoes. When I first started riding, it was in an effort to endear myself to my then-boyfriend, who was a pretty strong rider. Oh, what folly. One of my first serious rides was 42 miles. With him and only him. On a hot day. The only food I had on me was a Peanut Butter flavored Clif Bar. I wasn't yet adept at drinking from a water bottle while moving, so I got pretty parched during the ride. I finally begged for a break so that I could eat something, but I was feeling so poorly at that point and was so thirsty, that the Clif Bar tasted like dry oats. I couldn't even choke it down. I can barely even look at one now, let alone eat one. I'm not even sure how I managed to finish that ride; it was a nightmare.

I rethought my strategy at that point (and we broke up not long thereafter) and took a more measured approach. He and I remained friend as it turned out, and I eventually got strong enough not only to keep up, but on occassion to kick his butt! So, we learn from both our mistakes and our victories.
    Lol!!! Oh have I been that chick also! Before I managed that water bottle skill I also would be bone dry at a rest point, scared to talk because I figured smoke would come out of my mouth!!! That laugh was right on point! Thanks!

second and triple the idea of easing into riding longer distances in big chunks in hot humid weather. The general rule for increasing distances in riding and or running is to not increase more than 10% a week.

Headwinds- consider them as resistance training or give up. Get in a good aerodymanic position in your drops or aerobars, lighten the gear load, hit a slightly slower pace and think positive thoughts.

It is impossible to calculate the drain that heat and humidity can take on you in spite of the preparation and hydration. Just as it is nearly impossible to classify the weathermans' temperature with what the actual feels like temperature is while you are out riding. I mean I knew today's 50 mile ride was brutal because of the heat and the wind, even though we started before the sun cleared the horizon and kept a good pace. Felt lik 85-90 because of the breeze and some cloud cover. Apparently because of the humidity, the actual feel like temp was 109. That may have been why I felt so wiped out. I do know that in addition to my normal preride breakfast, I went through twice as many gu gels as normal, added shot blocks , and refilled both bottles at a convienience store twice.

I know we all like to prove we are tough, but there is a time to be cautious. I will be sooooo glad when the temperatures drop back out of the high 90's ad maybe into the low 80's- sometime in November.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    second and triple the idea of easing into riding longer distances in big chunks in hot humid weather. The general rule for increasing distances in riding and or running is to not increase more than 10% a week.

Headwinds- consider them as resistance training or give up. Get in a good aerodymanic position in your drops or aerobars, lighten the gear load, hit a slightly slower pace and think positive thoughts.

It is impossible to calculate the drain that heat and humidity can take on you in spite of the preparation and hydration. Just as it is nearly impossible to classify the weathermans' temperature with what the actual feels like temperature is while you are out riding. I mean I knew today's 50 mile ride was brutal because of the heat and the wind, even though we started before the sun cleared the horizon and kept a good pace. Felt lik 85-90 because of the breeze and some cloud cover. Apparently because of the humidity, the actual feel like temp was 109. That may have been why I felt so wiped out. I do know that in addition to my normal preride breakfast, I went through twice as many gu gels as normal, added shot blocks , and refilled both bottles at a convienience store twice.

I know we all like to prove we are tough, but there is a time to be cautious. I will be sooooo glad when the temperatures drop back out of the high 90's ad maybe into the low 80's- sometime in November.

marni
    Thanks Marni, great advice. I am definitely gonna scale back in this heat. It's brutal and this is the heat that could put you in the hospital. I am going to master this wind, one way or another! I'm not going to let it whip me, I just have to adapt!!! One things certain, I will not push myself to that point on my next ride!!!