Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First 30 Mile Ride - Things To Know?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am going to meet a friend on a nearby island where it's all flat farmland, and going on a 30 mile ride. I have never gone that far before. It will be 70 and sunny, which seems like a miracle since we've had one of the wettest Aprils in years. This island is very popular with all levels of cyclists due to the terrain and the scenery, and I imagine a lot of cars for folks going to the beach there. There are no bike lanes and no shoulders, however the locals and folks who travel to the island are aware of the heavy bike traffic and are generally courteous to cyclists.

So I will wear my cycling shorts, technical fabric tee short, "Tahoe" bike shoes, and of course a helmet. I will likely have my flashing headlight and red rear taillight on. I have an Arkel pannier that I plan to carry my tools, spare tubes, etc. in as well as water and snacks. I may or may not use/bring sunscreen, as I would like a little color.

So am I missing anything? I plan to bring my camera and take pictures and will surely post to the weekend ride thread. What else would you bring, do or wear?

Take rest breaks. Stop and smell the flowers - or at least take pictures of them, or the scenery. We want to see pictures from the ride!

A 30 mile ride can be a series of 10 mile rides. The pace can either be a 30 miles in the shortest time possible, or it can be a leisure ride, with stops along the way for coffee, photos of the scenery.

And somewhere along the way, if you're drinking enough, you WILL need a bathroom break. Do your ride mates know where there's a bathroom? Or is there a remote enough spot for a "nature break?"

Check the weather before you go. Will you need rain gear? Since you have paniers, you might want to stuff a jacket in there. Put the sunscreen on before you ride. Avoid early season sunburn.
    Beth

Hi Beth. Thanks for the suggestions. My friend, who is much older, although more experienced cyclist, did this ride a few weeks ago. She knows where there are "port-a-pottys" around the island. There are cafes, although I doubt they want cyclists to just stop in to pee! There are convenient "stopping spots" with tables, etc. Definitely will check the weather prior to departing. I have to drive a ways to get there, so want to be prepared.
    We will be cycling a ride called the PetalPedal in June and we've chosen the 30 mile route, so in part, this is practice. Our goal is not to go our fastest, but just to do it and have a good time and take in the scenery.

You won't need lights if it's 70 and sunny. You'll need 2 water bottles. You may want a drink with electrolytes in one of the bottles.

I wouldn't bring a pannier (I'm not saying you shouldn't, just that I wouldn't ). My flat kit fits in my saddle bag, and my snacks go in my jersey pockets. I travel light. If I knew there were stores that I had to buy something in in order to use the bathroom, I might not even bring much to eat, maybe just a bar or some dried fruit. The only other things I always ride with are my cell phone, id, and a credit or debit card.

You're going to have a great time!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I agree bring plenty of water with electrolytes, also eye-wear and as a deterrent to accidents I suggest to also carry the medical insurance card, sort of like bringing the umbrella so it won't rain
    *Cannondale Synapse 5
    *Trek FX7.6
    *Schwinn Frontier
    *Peugeot Versailles '86

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Oscar Wilde

I do not yet have a cycling jersey, a saddle bag (no room on handlebars for bag there), and no bottle cages (don't want too much cr@p attached everywhere). So drinks, snacks, patch kit/tube, optional clothes are in the relatively small pannier. I've been riding only 6 months and am still buying things. I need some sporty sunglasses with the rubber on the nose- I have long lashes and they rub against the lenses!
    Thanks and I will post photos tomorrow. Hope you're all out having safe rides.

If you don't have water bottle cages on your bike, how do you drink enough on your rides? Do you wear a Camelbak instead? The longer your rides get, and the warmer the temps get, hydration becomes VERY important! If you have to stop and dig through your panniers every time you need to drink - and please note that you need to drink frequently and before you get thirsty, you will wind up not drinking enough.

You must be referring to Sauvie Island. It as flat as it can get for cycling, and you are right, the motorists are locals who are aware of the cyclists. You don't need the lights. All you need are water bottles and an energy bar of some type and the other regular bike stuff.

Be sure to get some practice on short hills and rollers over the next few weeks as the Petal Pedal is not on flat terrain, even the short route that you will ride. It is flat terrain for an experienced cyclist, but for a beginner, some of the small rollers can look like Mt. Everest.

You will have fun. Sauvie Island is a fun place to ride the bike. There may not be too many cyclists tomorrow on Sauvie Island as May 1 is the first metric century of the season with the Salem Cycling Club, from Salem to Champoeg Park and back, and where I will be with my training group and another cycling friend as will over a thousand other local cyclists.

You might think about signing up for the short route of the Pioneer Century on June 4 with the Portland Wheelmen out of Canby. The route will go over similar terrain as the Petal Pedal. I can also recommend the Vine Ride out of Newberg in August; the short route is quite hilly but gives a beginner cyclist a goal to aim for so as to ride the hills and get stronger to be able to do the ride.

30 mile ride

[QUOTE=Velocivixen;570643]Hi Beth. Thanks for the suggestions. My friend, who is much older, although more experienced cyclist, did this ride a few weeks ago. She knows where there are "port-a-pottys" around the island. There are cafes, although I doubt they want cyclists to just stop in to pee!

I make it a policy to always buy something, even if it is only a pack of gum, wherever I stop to pee. This is especially appreciated in small out of the way gas stations.

I would think the same thing would apply to restaurants even if it is only a cup of iced coffee to go.

I would keep the sunscreen with me as that much exposure as a first exposure could be chancy, or if it gets warm and you sweat it off.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I third eye protection.

@Catrin, so to answer question, I haven't gone on anything longer than a 15 mile total, in town, with a stop at Starbucks in the middle rides, so I don't carry water thus far. I'm happy you've told more about the importance of water. I guess I just didn't realize it was important. I drink a ton of water each day (like a gallon), but typically don't while exercising - usually before and after. So I'll take water. It will be in the pannier for now, so I'll have to stop, which is fine, since this is a scenic ride.
    @ Darcy, I've ridden my bike from the flatlands of Beaverton up and down the hill to the Oregon Zoo, so I'm comfortable with hills (with the breaks on coming down).
    I definitely agree to buy something if I use a cafe's toilet - just common courtesy.
    I tried on some Tifosi sunglasses but didn't buy any today. I have just generic sunglasses I could use.

Thanks for all the input.

Just enjoy! You will be great!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Velocivixen View Post
    @Catrin, so to answer question, I haven't gone on anything longer than a 15 mile total, in town, with a stop at Starbucks in the middle rides, so I don't carry water thus far. I'm happy you've told more about the importance of water. I guess I just didn't realize it was important. I drink a ton of water each day (like a gallon), but typically don't while exercising - usually before and after. ...

Thanks for all the input.

There are some really good threads here in hydration, it would be good to check them out. Especially as the temps warm we do sweat a lot more on the bike than we are aware of - a combination of wind and wicking material - and dehydration can hit pretty easily if we aren't on top of it. I wasn't speaking about your ride that is coming up, just to the over-all importance of it. This was one of the lessons I learned the hard way last year. I learned a lot of cycling lessons the hard way last year

Of course all of our bodies are different, but it is important that it be on your radar screen It sounds like a fun ride, have a great time!

I also support eye protection (seems like you have that figured out already) but since no one mentioned it I would also add: gloves. You may not have a pair yet, but as you start riding more (and especially around lots of other cyclists) you may want to be sure that the delicate tissue of your hands is protected.

In a simple fall on a bit of gravel, a pair of fingerless gloves can make the difference between standing up, dusting yourself and keeping going, or enduring weeks of excruciating hand pain because of road rash and encrusted micro-pebbles.

And, yeah, for your next long ride, a water bottle cage + water bottle on the bike will allow you to drink much more often. If there isn't room for two bottles, you can always just refill the one you have at frequent stops. I find that if I drink large amounts at a time I need to pee and pee and pee. If I sip away every 5 minutes my body manages its water better and I need to go only once or twice during a full day ride.

But above all: HAVE FUN!

@Catrin, that's a good reminder regarding the wind and wicking materials and maybe not feeling that you're sweating. I have my eye on a Camelbak day hike pack either the Trinity or the Helena for overall hydration. They're not "bike specific", but women's specific design hiking packs.

@Grog, thanks for the suggestions too. I forgot to mention that I have Specialized Gel gloves (fingerless) that I just bought.

Yes, there is a lot of equipment one should have and since I've never really cycled as much as I do, I am gathering items slowly.