Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What is up with my hair?!?

To disable ads, please log-in.

And how long did I ride like this?!?

Yesterday was the 2010 Patuxent River Rural Legacy Ride in southern Maryland. A great ride, as always. They made a few changes this year -- route changes in the beginning leading up to a new location for the first reststop, a few new shorter route options, plus a new water and bathroom stop at 55 miles for folks doing the full metric distance (including me).

The stop at 55 miles was at a community center, so they had an indoor bathroom which had two big mirrors. Which gave me a chance to see myself for the first time in a while, and to see that I was rocking the "hair sticking out of the top helmet vent" look in a big way. I can only imagine how long I looked like this.

At least no one was unkind enough to point and laugh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31879_10150208727435243_814865242_12943460_937758_n.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	11390  

This illustrates the fact that no one is looking at us as critically as wethink they are if in fact they are looking at us at all.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Oh heck. I've got 18 or 20 some vents in my helmet and my hair sticks out of every one after a long day in the saddle.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've only seen one rider that had hair, and did not have helmet head. He was a marvel - helmet came off, and his hair seemed to be perfectly in place.

The rest of us meer mortals always have some kind of helmet head - I figure with a bunch of other riders, no one will really notice.
    Beth

You should have seen me after I took the helmet off. I normally put my hair in a pony tail and use clips on each side of my head to keep the shorter layers in order. But in the heat yesterday I took the clips out while I riding to keep things on my head from feeling too tight. After the helmet came off, I was all sweat-head, helmet-head, part-pony-tailed, part all over the place. It was good for a laugh when I got to the ladies room to change and clean up.

my husband always wears a hat or a buff under his helmet to prevent this from occuring.
    Me? I just look stupid.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    my husband always wears a hat or a buff under his helmet to prevent this from occuring.
    +1. My hair is ~2 inches long. No skull cap under the helmet means a most excellent mohawk in just a few miles.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    For the record...it was NOT sticking up out of her helmet at the Eagle Harbor rest stop (where is that? Mile 45ish?) when DH and I saw her. She was looking quite stylin' with her sun sleeves (or whatever they're called), cuz...you know...I look for those sort of things. I'm shallow that way.
    I used to have a pony tail that I would stick through my buff. Now, since I cut my hair off, it's too short to pony tail, and it just wads up into a big old wet mat under my buff now. Perhaps more HeadSweats are in store for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    +1. My hair is ~2 inches long. No skull cap under the helmet means a most excellent mohawk in just a few miles.
    Me, too! Especially right after a haircut. Looks like I have a crimping iron made for giants!
    Last edited by blackhillsbiker; 06-15-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

My hair sometimes looks like that anyway.
    Some days the helmet is a perfect excuse at work.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.