Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

4 mile hike today on an aggressive trail (with trekking poles). It went fine, my knee didn't appear to notice that something special was going on. My hiking horizons have just exploded!

Sounds like fun. I look forward to some hiking this summer.
    I was feeling a little off today, so this afternoon DH and I went for a 3 mile hilly walk. Not on a trail, just a loop around the streets. My legs will feel this tomorrow! I felt a bit guilty, as we saw at least 15 cyclists during our walk. But, my body will thank me when I ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good for you in listening to your body Crankin! If I had done a bit more of that over the last 6 years...

I am trying, Catrin, but it's kind of like training my brain not to ignore the signals. I am old enough to see that if I want to keep doing this until I die, I need to listen. For me, it's more flare ups of the allergies and "supposed" fibromyalgia that I have to consider. But also, my SI joint.
    My calves felt that walk when I jumped out of bed this morning. Amazing what different forms of movement do.
    Heading out to Ikea (45 minutes away) to buy a very important piece of furniture for our new place. The piece that will hold all of our cycling/hiking/skiing clothing!
    Then, we will ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I hear you about having to train your brain not to ignore the signals, that is the hard part. I've certainly, generally, been at least somewhat aware of the signals but I just was accustomed to ignore them totally

Thankfully no repercussions, that I can tell at least, from yesterday's 4 mile hike. No way I could walk that far on pavement, my feet HATE pavement so I just don't. It would simplify things sometimes if I could since we have both a MUP and a canal path downtown close to where I work, but I don't even consider it.

Good luck on the new IKEA piece! I've never been to one of their stores but there is one opening in Indianapolis in the next couple years. I've been looking a chair + ottoman combination online that I'm considering - looks like a great knitting/reading comfy chair. I need one of those

I had only been there once, to buy stuff to help DS #1 outfit his first apartment out of college. It was a quick trip today; DH looked it all up on line, so we knew exactly what aisle and shelf to go to for the different pieces. DH is bringing them all over to the condo as we speak. I don't think he will tackle putting it together today, though, as he is exhausted from his first ride of the season.
    Almost time to retire this winter other sports thread.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    4 mile hike today on an aggressive trail (with trekking poles). It went fine, my knee didn't appear to notice that something special was going on. My hiking horizons have just exploded!
    That is awesome, Catrin. So happy for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So, I suppose this should go in the "other winter sports" thread, as it is not x country skiing or hiking.
    We went snow shoeing today, for the first time in 2 years, since the snowy winter of 2015. We are in the midst of the blizzard, but it didn't start ramping up until about noon time. So, after lunch, first we put on our skis and headed out the trail that connects us to a very large neighborhood. During the first storm of the season, we noticed the streets were not plowed as soon as when we lived on the hill, and thought it would be fun to ski. But, that was a Saturday, and despite all schools and work being shut down or people being told to work from home, the streets had been plowed. The snow was really sticky, as it's right at freezing, and it's heavy and wet. We were sticking to the snow and the plows were out. So, we skied back (going down a little hill in the middle of the street was fun) and got our hiking boots, snow shoes and gaiters. The wind is blowing the snow right in your face, but it is not that cold, so it was bearable. I wore my cycling rain pants over my tights and my soft-shell and it was fine. First, we walked on the edge of people's lawns, in deep snow. On the second half, we walked on the unplowed sidewalk. It was really deep and wet/heavy. Was out for about an hour and I feel like I did a lot of work! Saw no one except one dog walker and all of the plow guys.
    When I got back, saw a message on my phone that lightning was detected 2.6 miles away... I guess it was time to come in! So, not as nice as the trail right out my door in my old neighborhood, still peaceful. Tomorrow, my club is doing a ski at our local nordic center, so I will join them. I had thoughts of driving to NH to do more intense skiing, but I am too lazy. I hope I can get there this weekend. It looks like it might rain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I bet that is fantastic exercise, Crankin! We're having some really chilly, windy weather here in Florida, while your part of the country is getting snowed and iced in, so I won't be riding much this week. Made it out Monday, but it will probably be Friday before our next ride. I guess we're paying for the unseasonably warm winter now, in almost-spring.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It is very strenuous, especially in that type of snow. Add some hills, and you have a tough work out.
    The snow here is wet and heavy, because it got warmer as the day went on, and just south of here, it actually rained for a bit. But, only about 45 minutes north, a foot and a half of powder. We just made a reservation at a B and B we've been trying to get into for 2 years, so we can do 2 days at our favorite, close-ish nordic ski place. I guess no one thought they'd be doing winter sports this weekend! I am glad we had no plans for this weekend.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura