Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've let my team know as well. A few people have already expressed some interest. I got a pair of small padded baggy shorts and a pair of pink and black cycling gloves on sale today to add to my box.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Hi Susan! I'm pretty sure Kenneth is still collecting clothing for his program.

For other alternatives, here are a couple of donation sources I know of in CA. I'm sure other folks will know places elsewhere in the US (or abroad).

Trips for Kids -- sells new, used, blems, etc in their thrift shop (the Recyclery) to fund their mountain bike programs for at-risk kids in SF. TFK is run by Marilyn Price (Jefferson Award, Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, etc). I volunteer as a trip volunteer and have run special girls camps, too! It's a very worthy group.

NorCal High School Mountain Bike League
    -- collect used clothing & gear in the annual "Lycra Drive" to be distributed to new high school teams and riders.

I mailed my package last night. jerseys for guys and gals and some bike shorts for gals. I look forward to seeing them all dressed up in our duds!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

11 pounds of clothing

can you even imagine how much clothing that is? I shipped 11 pounds of clothing today from our team. I kept an inventory of my donation but not of everyone else's. 11 pounds is probably enough to outfit a marching band!

Kenneth has been posting photos of the kids and their bikes (they got a HUGE donation) on his blog. Check it out!

The gals on my team are coming through too - we have a team party next Friday so it will take a little while for our stuff, but I'll be collecting and mailing next week.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

Smile Kenneth Walker thanks Team Estrogen

Hi y'all,

I just joined the forum and the first thing I wanted to do is to thank you all for being so caring, supportive and kind in you donations of clothing to the Wheels Can Take Me Places project I have going on here in Kansas City, Missouri.

Yes, I have received a lot of your packages already and I am overwhelmed! I have already shared a few of the the jerseys and such with some of our young ladies and you would not believe the looks from them! Having clothing made for ladies seems to make a BIG difference in how the are looking at this endevour...and they are amazed that cycling is something that women actually do! The clothing confirms that for them and they are feeling like real cyclists. And they look the part also! One young lady has yet to learn how to ride a bike, but now, every time she practices (in the school's gym) she has to have on the jersey she got from you all. She won't ride without it!!!!!!

I have to tell you the truth, tho...now that the girls have jerseys and other clothing to litterally pick their favorites from, the boys are jealous...because I do have clothing for them, but all of it is old...some of it older than they are, in fact. So I have to ask, for those of you sending things, if you know of any guys who want to get rid of some clothing as well, ask them to send them to me as well, it will be appreciated by all.

I wanted to share this with you... http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/01/...ikes_again.php

Thanks to you all- a special thanks to Laurel Green and Lorri Lee Lown, who got this whole thing rolling...i love you ladies even tho we have not met...yet!!!!

I promise to keep you all updated, with info and pics and if we can work it all out, you will also receive some letters of thanks from the kids you all are helping. You are an AWESOME group and I am glad to "be a part"!

Best Regards,
    Kenneth Walker

Kenneth Walker thanks Team Estrogen

Okay y'all, here I am...just wanted to thank you all for your caring spirit, kindness and willingness to support the Wheels Can Take Me Places project. I have already received a number of packages from you all, and in sharing some of the clothing with the girls in the program has made a big change in how they see themselves riding bicycles. They are amazed that women actually ride bicycles on a regular basis, because they don't get to see that here in KC...and it has changed something in them.

After reading all of the posts, I want to add that we can use all kinds of gear...helmets, shades, gloves, just about anything for cycling, be it for males or females (after seeing what the girls have, the boys have gotten jealous cause I only have limited clothing for them)...we are really starting from scratch as far as this program is concerned. And also, I work with another local charter school, doing a month long summer cycling program with them. I will use some of this gear with those youth as well, so if you know any guys who want to get rid of some gear also, feel free to send it my way.

Again, I am just overwhelmed by your kindness...and everyone needs to give each other a big hug from me, until I can do it myself. Expect pictures, updates and letters from the kids in the near future. Thank you big time to Lorri Lee Lown and Laurel Green for getting this whole thing rolling. I have never come across anyone so willing to help as these two ladies...you all are very lucky to have them in your lives and as friends. Thanks y'all!!!

Kenneth
    Last edited by Kenneth Walker; 01-19-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Adding a few statements.

Hi Kenneth,

I have three jerseys to put in the mail for the girls tomorrow (no boys stuff, sorry!) Hope it's not too late!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have a jersey and possibly a helmet in good condition. I will try to get it out tomorrow!

Can I still send out cycling clothes or is there a deadline?

I have a couple of jerseys, shorts and gloves that I would like to donate.

Bringing this back up. I sent a good-sized box with clothing in it. I asked that somebody send me a receipt for tax purposes. I enclosed a list of the items and their approximate value. I never heard anything. Anybody else? I'd still like to get a receipt for the donation.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    Bringing this back up. I sent a good-sized box with clothing in it. I asked that somebody send me a receipt for tax purposes. I enclosed a list of the items and their approximate value. I never heard anything. Anybody else? I'd still like to get a receipt for the donation.
    I got a nice thank you letter from the class -- very sweet and hand-written. I had asked about a tax receipt too, but no, did not get one. I'm just going to let it slide as I didn't send that much (three used jerseys), and I expect they didn't expect requests of that sort. Bummer for you, since you sent a lot.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Sounds like they do not have any kind of not-for-profit or other tax exempt status. While I'm sure they appreciate your generousity, they are not in a position to give a reciept that will carry any weight with the dreaded IRS.

i never heard back either. i hoped they would at least let me know they received the box.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Me too - my box was quite heavy so I sent it regular parcel post - no delivery confirmation available.