Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Heh -- when I manage to unclip on the "wrong side" I can't get going again!

Again -- I must not be an ambi-clipper!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Yelsel View Post

Just out of curiosity -- how many people drive sticks? I am wondering if people put their left foot down more often if they are used to putting the clutch in with their left foot for stopping. (The real test would be asking the right-foot clutch "island" people in the UK, Japan, and down under.)
    There could be something in this. My chocolate foot is my left and I drive a manual shift too. And btw the pedals are not reversed when the "handedness" of the drive is changed. Those of us who sit in the right hand side of the car to drive still push the clutch in with our left foot!

I always thought my left foot was chocolate because I am short (and lazy) and when I pull up at the lights (on the left side of the road) I unclip and roll up to the kerb and plonk my left foot on it so I don't have to get off the seat.

Or - that I am quite right foot dominant and so I like to get a good push off with my right foot on the pedal?

Maybe all of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Why is it called that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekWSDmechanic View Post
    Well it comes from the German use of the word 'schokoladenbein', which literally translates to 'chocolate leg', but in context means 'favored leg'. I think it was probably Hans Rey who is credited for taking it to the bike world.

It probably sounds like I'm making this up, but I'm not.
    Here's a response from a German friend, who is in Germany:
    Schokoladen-Bein is a private word-combination. It is nothing formal. It is the first time I ever heard it.

You say here e.g. "meine Schokoladenseite" i.e. "my chocolate side" (of my character. So it's more in an abstract way used.

Went on a bike ride for the first time with clipless pedals yesterday. I've been practicing on the trainer for two days. And I felt comfortable.

100 feet later to a stop, I fell. *groan* And yes, it was in front of an audience. "New pedals eh?" They say. I had a little bit of a road rash, but nothing too severe.

I think the pedals were on too tight, I might loosen it a bit.

The problem I have is getting momentum and clipping in, but one advice that I will try is to pedal anyways until coasting, then clip in. I'll practice that. :-D

I had a maiden fall when I first went clipless, it was proably within the first week or so.

This was after my DH had held the bike while I practiced cliping in and out for a half hour or so before going onto the street. The next day, I ventured to the local school parking lot. This way I could still practice riding, stopping with the whole clip unclip routine. Then when I felt more comfortable I ventured on to the road

Even now I still unclip my right side long a head before stopping. This way I know I will be able to put my foot down without any problems.

Practice, practice and more practice. Soon it will become second nature and you'll love how it makes riding so much more fun.

Red Rock

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    Went on a bike ride for the first time with clipless pedals yesterday. I've been practicing on the trainer for two days. And I felt comfortable.

100 feet later to a stop, I fell. *groan* And yes, it was in front of an audience. "New pedals eh?" They say. I had a little bit of a road rash, but nothing too severe.

The problem I have is getting momentum and clipping in, but one advice that I will try is to pedal anyways until coasting, then clip in. I'll practice that. :-D
    Oh I feel for you.
    when you say "the pedals were on too tight" do you mean the pedals or the cleats? I don't know the mechanics of this, being completely new to it, and the bike shop guys installed my pedals and cleats. But I read that if the cleats are too loose, it is hard to clip out. If you could possibly take your bike and cleats to the bike shop and get in them to readjust, that's what I'd do.

For the getting momentum and clipping in problem -- can you clip in one side while standing still? I straddle the top tube, clip in the right foot (with the pedal in the bottom position), and my left foot is still on the ground. Then I lift up my right foot to an angle where I can push off and get going up and on the saddle, that gives me the momentum then to clip in the left foot. So, right foot clipped in before going, then left foot clips in while coasting. (I am left-handed so perhaps you might do the opposite).

Today I got back on the bike and tried again! And I took everyone's advice. I paid attention and realized that my left foot is my "chocolate" foot, as that is the one that is forward always when coasting. So before I'm going to start braking, I have the left pedal down all the way, unclip, then I bring the right pedal down all the way so that I can stand on it while clipped in as I come to a stop and move up off the saddle and forward. I set my left foot (which is loose) on the ground. My right foot stays clipped in, so I'm ready to go. It worked! It did take concentration but I didn't fall!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikes View Post
    There could be something in this. My chocolate foot is my left and I drive a manual shift too. And btw the pedals are not reversed when the "handedness" of the drive is changed. Those of us who sit in the right hand side of the car to drive still push the clutch in with our left foot!

I always thought my left foot was chocolate because I am short (and lazy) and when I pull up at the lights (on the left side of the road) I unclip and roll up to the kerb and plonk my left foot on it so I don't have to get off the seat.

Or - that I am quite right foot dominant and so I like to get a good push off with my right foot on the pedal?

Maybe all of the above?
    I drive a manual shift, too. And my left foot is apparently dominant. Maybe there's something to this. I am left-handed, so that's why I thought my left foot would be dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgQueen View Post
    Might be good to mention what type of pedals/cleats you use. Some systems are adjustable, some are not.

Eggbeaters, for instance, are a totally different design from, say, SPD-style pedals. Eggbeater pedals are not adjustable, but their design makes them generally easier to clip in & out of, imho (err, when the cleats aren't loose, that is )

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I haven't fallen (yet!!) but here's what's helped me.
    I grew up in Wisconsin, so I skiied. Alot.
    To stop, as a beginner, you're taught to "snowplow"- kick both heels out so your feet make a wedge or a "v".
    When I was in the shop trying to #$%^$#!! get into these pedals (time somethings with spd cleats) on my brand new Giant bike (xs size, which I find ironic) the LBS guys and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't "clicking into " the shoe. Then one said treat it like a ski boot and- wahla!- i'm in! So it was instinct that if I wanted to stop to turn my heels out and then my shoes pop out.

I think I've just lucked out.

BTW, I"m getting my Trek 7.1 fx next week. Can't decide on clipless pedals for that one! Any suggestions after reading all this would be great..

Okay, DH put on my pedals two days ago, and he knew it was going to be trouble. I practiced with one foot clipped in around my neighborhood for a few minutes. Then I got going with two clipped in. Unclipped my right, as that's my "chocolate foot". Couldn't get my left unclipped, leaned left and fell. Had to use one of DD's princess bandaids.

After that, he took the pedals off and put the stock ones off, basically forbidding me to use the clipless pedals on any rides for fear that I might get killed or hurt because I can't stop fast and get off the bike if I need to. I sort of agree. How the heck do I change all of this? I can't really practice without the pedals on, and I don't think I'm strong enough to change them out myself (I think they have lock-tite on them). He insists that they're only for "professional" riders.

I have shimano m520 (think those are the numbers). I think they're adjustable, so maybe they were just too tightly clipped?

ETA: I've thought about returning them to the LBS, but I scratched up one of the pedals when I fell. They'd take back the shoes because they were clearance which means someone had already taken them for a spin.
    Last edited by ccbloom; 09-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatPaws View Post
    BTW, I"m getting my Trek 7.1 fx next week. Can't decide on clipless pedals for that one! Any suggestions after reading all this would be great..
    I'm no expert, but my suggestion? Pedals like the ones you have on your current bike -- at least that work the same. It's easier! You don't HAVE to get more shoes, you don't have to think about which bike you're on and how the clips work when you want off....

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by ccbloom View Post
    After that, he took the pedals off and put the stock ones off, basically forbidding me to use the clipless pedals on any rides for fear that I might get killed or hurt because I can't stop fast and get off the bike if I need to. I sort of agree. How the heck do I change all of this? I can't really practice without the pedals on, and I don't think I'm strong enough to change them out myself (I think they have lock-tite on them). He insists that they're only for "professional" riders.

I have shimano m520 (think those are the numbers). I think they're adjustable, so maybe they were just too tightly clipped?
    Oh dear, one of those worry-wart husbands! First, he's wrong. They're not just for "professional" riders -- they're for anyone who wants to pedal efficiently!

Yes, unless someone already adjusted them as loose as they go, you should be able to loosen them up a bit, AND mine have gotten easier as I've used them.

Now, to helpl allay his fears of your bodily harm, try my method: unclip your chocolate foot, put it solidly on the ground, and only when you are otherwise stable, unclip the still clipped foot. If you're not actually moving away from the vehicle when you stop, you really don't need to unclip it, only to clip back in as soon as you're moving again!

Karen in Boise

I think my feet are confused. My right foot is definitely dominant; I use it to haul myself up while hiking, and unfortunately this means it is about 20% stronger than the left. I have the right foot forward when coasting usually, as well, though I switch it up for entertainment value. But I walk, carry and mount on the left side of the bike, and also unclip and put my left foot down. I am pretty sure the leading / mounting from the left is due to horseback riding though.

I should have known the clutch pedal was on the same side of the driver in all cars... I've driven in England.

try my method: unclip your chocolate foot, put it solidly on the ground, and only when you are otherwise stable, unclip the still clipped foot.
    LOL! That's what I was trying to do when I fell, sort of. I had already unclipped my right foot and went to lean to put it on the ground...except I leaned left and that one was still clipped Maybe this weekend I'll convince him to let me try again since I don't think I can return them.

I agree with Karen in Boise - clipless pedals are not just for "professional" riders. I don't blame the worry wart husband not wanting to see his loved one falling and getting hurt though!

My son is a bicycle enthusiast, does long rides like Hotter than Hell and RAGBRAI. And builds bikes. He is a big fan of eggbeaters clipless pedals. And he says that he has mountain bike clipless for his road bike. Road bike cleats aren't made for walking on, because they are made for those racers who are supported by a car on their races. Next year, after I get good use from these clipless pedals (Speedplay Light Action), I am going to get some for mountain bikes.

I went riding today again (31 miles - my longest ride!) and didn't fall once. I concentrated on unclipping the left foot as I approached my stops, then lowering the right pedal down to the 6:00 position so that I could stand up on that pedal to get off the saddle and move forward. Then I put my left foot on the ground. Still not totally second nature. But getting better!