Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Truer words have never been said! I am finding that I'm actually looking forward to single-track rides more than road rides--this comes a HUGE surprise to me (since I fall down a LOT)!

I love that you are riding with your DS. My son is 11 and we have fun riding together, too. Someday I will be eating his dust...probably in the next 2 years, I suspect!
    I fell yesterday once and my son crashed several times but it was fun!! As a matter of fact I wanted to ride harder and faster..but needed to hold back and wait for him.

Riding with him is the best part of the whole thing!!! ...I am affraid if he really get into this mTbiking he will eventually get his buddies and forget about mom but thats ok...if that happens?...I can live with that.... I just want him to get involve in some type of sport and get some exercise.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    Riding with him is the best part of the whole thing!!! ...I am affraid if he really get into this mTbiking he will eventually get his buddies and forget about mom but thats ok...if that happens?...I can live with that.... I just want him to get involve in some type of sport and get some exercise.
    This is how I feel, too. And I look forward to the day when I can do the C cyclocross race and he's doing the B races (with his dad)...so I can actually SEE him race and cheer! I'll be his biggest fan.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by okhealthy View Post
    Congrats!! New bikes are exciting.i like and want to buy it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I hear you I've decided that I really need to get elbow and new shin guards though, I keep banging up my elbows and knees and my co-workers wonder when I wear long sleeves to work on a hot day I ride BMX pedals anyway and should just to save my shins. Pedals left their mark Saturday on my one little fall.

Giulianna - glad that you are able to take advantage of a close beginners loop! You and your son might also want to check out the beginners loop at Ft Ben when you feel like going somewhere different. It is about a mile and very easy - but of course it is on the opposite side of town from you...
    Talking about protection . Are those guards comfortable?...I want to get some protection gear/accesories for him.

Would you send me the address via PM? is that the Town Run trail?

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

This is how I feel, too. And I look forward to the day when I can do the C cyclocross race and he's doing the B races (with his dad)...so I can actually SEE him race and cheer! I'll be his biggest fan.

Thats nice!...MY sons Dad lives in South Dakota and he really don't have a realtionship with my son nor my other 17 year old son. I am basically a single mom and I have been trying to do my best to get them involve in sports like I was when I was young. (I was a tomboy I was better than my two brothers ..) I love sports in general. But since I had to raise them by myself you already know...not enough time nor resources etc etc . Besides the fact that they arent sport kids either. But I am glad he at least showing interest in mountain biking and I like it too... For now I will enjoy all the time I can spend with them.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Thats nice!...MY sons Dad lives in South Dakota and he really don't have a realtionship with my son nor my other 17 year old son. I am basically a single mom and I have been trying to do my best to get them involve in sports like I was when I was young. (I was a tomboy I was better than my two brothers ..) I love sports in general. But since I had to raise them by myself you already know...not enough time nor resources etc etc . Besides the fact that they arent sport kids either. But I am glad he at least showing interest in mountain biking and I like it too... For now I will enjoy all the time I can spend with them.
    I think it's awesome that you are encouraging this. He may find that he's more of a jock than he ever expected! Or he may find that he simply likes getting out and cruising along the singletrack and enjoying nature. Either way is a win-win for you both!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks

Talking about protection . Are those guards comfortable?...I want to get some protection gear/accesories for him.

Would you send me the address via PM? is that the Town Run trail?
    There are many different types of guards, and I am by no means an expert. I have a pair of Lizardskin shin guards that work fine, but they are all going to to be hot. The Lizardskins were also made for people with longer lower legs than I have so I had to cut them. I am currently searching for something more comfortable. Some of the more experienced wommen here may have suggestions on better guards.

I would not recommend Town Run, I won't go there myself right now. The problem is the trail is highly popular with people who ride it for speed and time - and apparently a good number of them aren't looking out for slower riders. I've been warned not to ride that trail by everyone I know during the evening or weekends, I am still pretty slow so am listening to my more experienced friends. I will eventually try it during the middle of a weekday.

I was referring to the new beginners loop at Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park in Lawrence. You can find out more information here and a map to the park and of the trails here. The beginners loop is the one in green on the west side of the park. It probably isn't any longer than the trail you have in Avon so it may not be worth your drive, but I wanted to mention it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-30-2012 at 09:43 AM.

I think it's awesome that you are encouraging this. He may find that he's more of a jock than he ever expected! Or he may find that he simply likes getting out and cruising along the singletrack and enjoying nature. Either way is a win-win for you both!

I think he likes the idea about mountain biking because he loves nature and animals and all that. He can watch the Discovery or Nat Geo chanels 24/7 . I told him that when he get more experience he can take the digi cam and take pictures of the nature and the animals...he loves that. So yeah...this is a good thing..I dont know why I never thought about it before.
    If it wasn't for TE thank you...

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    There are many different types of guards, and I am by no means an expert. I have a pair of Lizardskin shin guards that work fine, but they are all going to to be hot. The Lizardskins were also made for people with longer lower legs than I have so I had to cut them. I am currently searching for something more comfortable. Some of the more experienced wommen here may have suggestions on better guards.

I would not recommend Town Run, I won't go there myself right now. The problem is the trail is highly popular with people who ride it for speed and time - and apparently a good number of them aren't looking out for slower riders. I've been warned not to ride that trail by everyone I know during the evening or weekends, I am still pretty slow so am listening to my more experienced friends. I will eventually try it during the middle of a weekday.

I was referring to the new beginners loop at Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park in Lawrence. You can find out more information here and a map to the park and of the trails here. The beginners loop is the one in green on the west side of the park. It probably isn't any longer than the trail you have in Avon so it may not be worth your drive, but I wanted to mention it.

Wow..thanks for the heads up on that Town Run Trail. Yesterday at the Avon park we had the trails just for us.... we just encountered a couple of runners.
    That Park in Lawrence sounds interesting. We go visit a good friend of mine on that side of town at least once every month or so....so I guess when we go visit them we can take our bikes.
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 07-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

My husband was never into team sports, but he's long been an avid biker, road and mountain. If your son takes to it, he may very well have found a hobby to last a lifetime and one that could take him all over the States (and beyond). How cool is that?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thank you...and yeah..I got that feeling already... I need to get some gears especially for my son. What would you recomend to first get for him aside from helmet and gloves ...I am not too worry about me right now.

I am not big into pads myself, never used them but a lot of people say they make them more confident. My skin is pretty sensitive and I don't want anything rubbing on it.

My big things other than gloves (full finger, even in the Texas summer for me) would be some padded shorts and a small Camelbak or similar item. Drinking is so important and it is hard to pull a bottle out a cage at first and then stopping a bunch gets old.

When we host our womens rides that is what we look for: gloves, helmet and adequate water. The reason I said full finger gloves is your hands are more exposed, brush often catches my fingers if I ride fingerless and those little cuts on the knuckles hurt! Plus they have a little more protection for the inevitable fall.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    The reason I said full finger gloves is your hands are more exposed, brush often catches my fingers if I ride fingerless and those little cuts on the knuckles hurt! Plus they have a little more protection for the inevitable fall.
    +1 on full-fingered gloves. Not only do they provide extra protection, but I find that they provide extra grip on the bars and brake levers when I'm a sweaty mess all over. I don't find them any warmer than fingerless gloves in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    +1 on full-fingered gloves. Not only do they provide extra protection, but I find that they provide extra grip on the bars and brake levers when I'm a sweaty mess all over. I don't find them any warmer than fingerless gloves in the summer.
    I concur - good full-fingered gloves is why my hands/fingers don't look as bad as my calves from the mountain bike trails

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    My husband was never into team sports, but he's long been an avid biker, road and mountain. If your son takes to it, he may very well have found a hobby to last a lifetime and one that could take him all over the States (and beyond). How cool is that?
    Veryyyy cool.... thanks for the thoughts

I am not big into pads myself, never used them but a lot of people say they make them more confident. My skin is pretty sensitive and I don't want anything rubbing on it.

My big things other than gloves (full finger, even in the Texas summer for me) would be some padded shorts and a small Camelbak or similar item. Drinking is so important and it is hard to pull a bottle out a cage at first and then stopping a bunch gets old.

When we host our womens rides that is what we look for: gloves, helmet and adequate water. The reason I said full finger gloves is your hands are more exposed, brush often catches my fingers if I ride fingerless and those little cuts on the knuckles hurt! Plus they have a little more protection for the inevitable fall.
    Yeah I was thinking about the pads but he is sensitive to his skin as well . Thanks for the general advice .. I am clueless about camelbak which one would you recommend?..any spec brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the gloves...he sweats a lots on his hands. Any spec material to look for?

What about glasses?...he uses them should I get him sport Rx or will he be ok with his everyday glasses?

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

I am not sure how old or big your son is but I assume he is a teen? I think the kids packs are for little kids.

My personal favorite pack is the Rogue, it isn't too bulky but can hold a decent amount of water with 70 oz and a few things in the pocket. I like it also because it isn't one that you will quickly outgrow when you move to longer rides. The classic just sacrifices some of the pockets but gives you the 70oz water capacity. I have only used the Camelbak brand myself so I can't really say if there is something better.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...012-Rogue.aspx

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...2-Classic.aspx
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I am not sure how old or big your son is but I assume he is a teen? I think the kids packs are for little kids.

My personal favorite pack is the Rogue, it isn't too bulky but can hold a decent amount of water with 70 oz and a few things in the pocket. I like it also because it isn't one that you will quickly outgrow when you move to longer rides. The classic just sacrifices some of the pockets but gives you the 70oz water capacity. I have only used the Camelbak brand myself so I can't really say if there is something better.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...012-Rogue.aspx

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...2-Classic.aspx
    He is 15 years old. I will look into those.. I might end up getting one as well.. because of what you said it is hard and risky to reach for the bottle cage when mountain biking. I don't like the idea of having like a backpack because it makes me sweaty and hot but in this case it def worth it.

Thanks again!..
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 08-01-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB