Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently bought a Trek 820 wsd, which comes in a 13. It was $350, but it is very basic. My partner got the Sky and paid $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Darn. My daughter has the pink/black Myka that came out last year or year before but when I checked it's a 19. She never uses it, probably because the lady didn't know what she was doing and being new, neither did I when it came to size. I would happily sell it to you if it fit. Hers is the basic model though, Suntour fork and basic components.
    I need a thirteen, 19 is too big. Too bad!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
    I'd say stay away from the 24 inch wheels unless you are really good at front wheel lifts. The larger the wheel circumference, the higher obstacle you can "roll over" rather than have to lift the wheel and place it on top.

For illustration purposes, think of a kids bike tire perpendicular to a curb. See where the curb hits the tire? like halfway up! It's not going to roll over that. It's going to smack into it and stop.

Now think of a tractor tire perpendicular to that curb. The curb is WAY at the bottom, and the tire would roll over the curb like it's barely there.
    I am taking this to heart. I also thought about a Terry but the mountain bikes in my size have 24 inch wheels.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    The 13 inch Skye's with the better components have too high a standover. The ones with a more step through frame are kind of bottom end on components. I have tired of bottom end components.
    Hmmm I have a Skye SL disc wsd. How tall are you? I am 5"1 with very short legs. The 2013's look much different from the 2012's. Have you checked for any 2012's around?

I wouldn't rely on published specs when it comes to standover because it depends on where they measure it along the top tube. If you could actually try one out, that would be ideal.

Beyond that, does Giant have anything that would work?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    Hmmm I have a Skye SL disc wsd. How tall are you? I am 5"1 with very short legs. The 2013's look much different from the 2012's. Have you checked for any 2012's around?
    I am 4'11". Almost.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I wouldn't rely on published specs when it comes to standover because it depends on where they measure it along the top tube. If you could actually try one out, that would be ideal.

Beyond that, does Giant have anything that would work?
    Yeah, trying out is tough. I drove nearly 200 miles to try out the Myka and Jett and then didn't act. I do regret that. I didn't see anything from Giant that would work. Nor Cannondale.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

I would also recommend that you look at Cannondale. They have some great closeouts happening at the moment, both in the unise and womens models. FWIW, for 2013 many companies have dropped the number of 26" wheel mtn bikes that they will offer, so 2012 might simply give you more choices!

Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I am 4'11". Almost.
    I looked again at the Trek site and if you can find a 2012 Skye SL, you might want to try that. They are much different and standover is great for me.

A suggestion that I would have would be to take a look at Cannondale. They're having some great sales right now, and you just might be able to buy a more expensive bike within your budget. They have unisex models and some WSD models on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I looked again at the Trek site and if you can find a 2012 Skye SL, you might want to try that. They are much different and standover is great for me.
    I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    A suggestion that I would have would be to take a look at Cannondale. They're having some great sales right now, and you just might be able to buy a more expensive bike within your budget. They have unisex models and some WSD models on sale!

Too tall on the stand-over.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic

How about an XS Santa Cruz Juliana? I know that it is a full suspension and not a hardtail, but it should fit you. As for the price, you can always consider used or prior year models.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Inexpensive mountain bikes

Keep looking. I ride with two gals under 5'. Neither of them ride 24" wheels; in fact I never hears of that until now. The one gal is a MD and has a stable that included a 29er. Giant makes some offerings....so keep looking.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I looked at the specs on the Santa Cruz Juliana and the standover seems a bit iffy. No way to try to know it it would work.

Giant has nothing small enough. In fact, one of their lines for women has an extra small with a 30.9 standover. Criminal to call that extra small!

Trek's bikes include a Cali which may work, it has a reasonable reach at 36.5 and a reasonable standover at 65.8. I am a bit concerned because it is a 29'er. I would rather have 26 inch wheels for maneuverability.

The Myka probably is my best bet but I hate, hate the color on this year's model on the top of the line 26 inch Myka. I do not want dingy gray. So, I would have to accept lesser components for a better color. The Trek seems like a better bike.

Wish I could find someplace to try one. I still wish I could find last year's models on anything. No one seems to have any in Minnesota that I can find.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    Terry Classic