Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vorb

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nerdgirl..have you been to www.vorb.org.nz or www.rotoburn.com? There are women's forum there too(hidden) & you may find some more chicks that do downhill. I know I saw a few....

@ Nerdgirl. I think we largely were on topic, we just disagreed with the implied premise of your original post that dh is more aggressive than xc.

And thanks for the body armor recomendations, I keep thinking I should really think about some before I ride some of the gnarlier parts of Sedona next winter and spring.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

nerdgirl Guest
    Eh, it's okay. The responses to this thread reminded me very well of why I prefer to play with the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdgirl View Post
    ::sigh::

While I appreciate all your responses, I don't see any answers to my original question-- you know, the purpose of the thread, to find other women who are into more aggressive riding. We're kind of getting off topic here and the thread is getting hijacked. I know I'm not a mod or anything, but it would be nice to get responses relevant to the original post, rather than this becoming an argument about singletrack v. fireroad, etc.

Just saying...
    Jeeze... Heaven forbid us chicks that just aren't cool enough (or, you know, maybe just haven't had a good opportunity yet) to own a 7" travel bike, full face, and full body armor respond to your thread with what we do have in common: the love of mountain biking and a good adrenaline rush (in whatever form that may come). Guess our "rushes" just don't qualify because you don't think they are as hardcore as yours.

Next time I'll make sure I do my part in keeping your threads at 0 responses for the sake of being absolutely 100% on topic Maybe I am glad I don't "do" downhill. None of the XC people I ride with would be so elitist and "aggressive" towards people trying to share a passion with them. Heck, the "roadies" I ride with wouldn't act that way either and their the ones that are "supposed" to have their panties in a wad.

Nerdgirl,

I also ride with the boys. The irony of your response is that "you're acting like a girl".

Chill out man!

Jeeze... Heaven forbid us chicks that just aren't cool enough (or, you know, maybe just haven't had a good opportunity yet) to own a 7" travel bike, full face, and full body armor respond to your thread with what we do have in common: the love of mountain biking and a good adrenaline rush (in whatever form that may come). Guess our "rushes" just don't qualify because you don't think they are as hardcore as yours.

Next time I'll make sure I do my part in keeping your threads at 0 responses for the sake of being absolutely 100% on topic Maybe I am glad I don't "do" downhill. None of the XC people I ride with would be so elitist and "aggressive" towards people trying to share a passion with them. Heck, the "roadies" I ride with wouldn't act that way either and their the ones that are "supposed" to have their panties in a wad.

Good lord, can't you gals just answer the question? That is a real stretch to get all that out of the inquiry. The fact is there AREN'T many DH/ super aggressive riders here, but there are on other boards.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdgirl View Post
    ::sigh::

While I appreciate all your responses, I don't see any answers to my original question-- you know, the purpose of the thread, to find other women who are into more aggressive riding. We're kind of getting off topic here and the thread is getting hijacked. I know I'm not a mod or anything, but it would be nice to get responses relevant to the original post, rather than this becoming an argument about singletrack v. fireroad, etc.

Just saying...
    the women's lounge at mtbr. com has lots of hardcore riders of all flavors, including downhill racing; which brand of armor fits over boobs best, fear of commitment, etc.

I find MY mtb discussion needs are met much better over there. Nothing personal ladies, I'm just trying to actually answer the question.

back to lurking.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    @ Nerdgirl. I think we largely were on topic, we just disagreed with the implied premise of your original post that dh is more aggressive than xc.

And thanks for the body armor recomendations, I keep thinking I should really think about some before I ride some of the gnarlier parts of Sedona next winter and spring.

DH IS more aggressive than XC, why is everyone getting so worked up about that? Faster, bigger, steeper harder, what is there to argue with?

I find MY mtb discussion needs are met much better over there. Nothing personal ladies,
    Well lovely for you, thanks for sharing.
    Next time I'll make sure I do my part in keeping your threads at 0 responses for the sake of being absolutely 100% on topic
    Yes, the scenery from the high road is so much nicer.
    DH IS more aggressive than XC, why is everyone getting so worked up about that? Faster, bigger, steeper harder, what is there to argue with
    Yes your car is faster than my bike going up the mountain, it is also of course harder to ride in the same direction which water flows.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Oi

OI..

FIrst off, don't attack Irulan..she's been here longer than many of you have & is a wealth of info. I wondered where you'd ventured to..

Second..Thanks for making someone NOT welcome here...

I too think i'll take my mtn biking discussions to other forums...It's mainly just "roadies" who think that fire road is exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    OI..

FIrst off, don't attack Irulan..she's been here longer than many of you have & is a wealth of info. I wondered where you'd ventured to..

Second..Thanks for making someone NOT welcome here...

I too think i'll take my mtn biking discussions to other forums...It's mainly just "roadies" who think that fire road is exciting...
    Um...I don't see why the length of forum membership should mean a darn thing. If someone wants to play "holier than thou" "you aren't worthy to post in my threads" they can get it right back as far as I'm concerned.

Also, no one has even replied to Irulan, so pretty darn hard to be attacking her

You want to take mountain biking (or any other) discussions elsewhere then more power to you. The second part of that comment is completely unnecessary. First, who cares if someone thinks fire-road is exciting. Maybe it is for them; they are on a bike, don't shoot it down. Second, the implication is there that if you are riding XC you are just some boring fool that's riding nothing but fire-road that they should be able to ride with their eyes closed. Couldn't be farther from the truth, and yea, I find it belittling and insulting.

All Bikes Are Good

I think that phrases like aggressive, harder, faster, etc can be difficult terms, they imply that one ride/style/woman is more or less of something than another. This is sometimes problematic because one would hope that we could appreciate each other as distinct human beings, who are we to say that a middle aged woman taking up mountain biking on fire roads after raising three kids and beating breast cancer is more or less a mountain biker than a teenager flying down the trial on a huffy, or a racer with a long history of wins and the latest tricked out fs ride? I think that it is the context of your ride which matters as much as the content.
    And props to you ladies who do downhill, at least from the guys I know it can be a hell of a boys club, you must put up with some annoying crap. I'm sorry that you haven't found as much support here as you should have. Hopefully this is an exception, not the rule.
    And back to the original topic, on the subject of gear for nasty trails, I've found that Terry shorts are my least favorite, they stain and rip, mountain biking gear should not hold onto mud stains, I really like Harlot the material seems bomb proof, and the lengths are longer, but I wish there were more pockets.

Is there something wrong with saying that I don't get my discussion needs met here? TE is not the be-all and end-all of mountain biking discussion, at least for me. I figured out a long time ago that instead of trying to shape a board into what I thought it should be, or have expectations that weren't being met, it was lots easier and more pleasant to find a board that fit me. It's a lot less frustrating and aggravating, too.

I said, "I don't get MY discussion needs met here", and tried to offer a direct answer to the OP. I made personal statement about my experience. I didn't judge or attack any of you, or your version of mountain biking, and frankly don't need to be attacked for stating what my experience has been.

I.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-13-2010 at 08:17 PM.

This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen here.

Reminds me of my 20-something sons seeing who can piss into the pool from the top deck.

Exactly why I don't participate in other forums.

I'm really glad nerdgirl took her bike and went home. Her energy was too "aggro" for me.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

woosies

I thought nerdgirl was normal.. and represented what you'd see on the trails.

Yet again, the posters on TE frighten more people away. Good going!

If you have to be that nasty to be a mountain biker, well then, maybe why that's I am not one. I totally own up to not being aggressive enough and scared to death of most of that stuff.
    But really, I can't believe all women mountain bikers have that attitude.