Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

My girl's name is Blue. She is a Giant OCR C2 and she's beautiful. My dh got her for me. He didn't understand the naming thing. In fact none of the guys I've told get it. She just called to me.

Smile

Post pics of Blue - I would like to see her! I love my Giant Innova - her name is “Spirit”. I remember when I met my DH he thought it was amusing that I named all of his old classic cars, but when we got our truck in 2006 the first thing he asked me was, “What shall we name him?” Hank. And I named my car, a former FHP highway patrol car after a family friend who was a trooper and died in the line of duty “Hawk”. It helps when we set up maintenance records, etc. I did not like saying, the white car, the black car, etc. But bicycles are so much an extension of ourselves, more than just mechanics and metal, that naming them seems a proper thing to do.
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

Okay, I did it. Ya'll convinced me that my ride needs a name. I can't call her "her" forever. lol So, I texted with my dh about it and he gave me the perfect name that suits her. Hidalga. I'd call her Hidalgo but since she's a girlie girl then I had to make it more feminine. She gutted it out with me the past couple of weeks up a steep 1 mile hill (10-16% grade) and so she's a tough gal. Not saying it was anything pretty, me going up that hill. But we got up it together after awhile. We're going to keep practicing that hill until I can do it without taking a break, too! LOL

naming our rides

Between my daughters and myself we have 6 bikes and each has a name. We started naming inanimate objects starting with my first new car. Anyway here is a rundown.

Daughter Olivia: Specialized hard rock 24" = Bubbles
    Daughter Maxime: Gary Fisher Piranha = Nemo
    Daughter Maxime: Townie cruiser = Townie
    Mom: Santa Cruz Superlight = Pip
    Mom: Specialized Cirrus Pro = Milly
    Mom and Maxime: Crapped out Huffy Cruiser = Crusty

Each name has a story but that would be entirely too long a response.
    Of course we name them! They play an important role in our lives for fun, health, school transport and grocery schlepping.

BTW, the Honda Element is "Julius"

My bike is a Bianchi, so I call her "B." I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has named my bike! I'm looking forward to many adventures with my new friend!

I found her name!

After two great rides, and several sessions of just standing in the garage and admiring her, I finally found a name for my brand new Orbea Onix Dama. Her name is Minx.

The definition of minx is "an offensive term that deliberately insults a woman's or girl's sense of propriety and decorous behavior." I don't find it offensive at all, and the last thing I feel when I'm flying over the road on her is polite, decent and socially acceptable. I feel free and wild and unencumbered with stress and daily demands. And frankly, I don't care what anyone else thinks or wants when Minx and I are flying over the road.
    Aimee

A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling," Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brigitte View Post
    BTW, the Honda Element is "Julius"
    LOL! My Element is called the Estrogen Express because it's usually just me and the dogs, Kali and Niki.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonKelly View Post
    Is that the Con in Atlanta, GA? I went there several years ago with an ex who was promoting her new book. It was awesome. When I first walked into the hotel I saw a parade of Storm Troopers and about had a fit. I actually squealed! My ex thought I was nuts. It was a blast and I only wish i could go back now that I'm more into the star trek thing. Good for you!
    Gray
    Yup that is the one! I had goose bumps when I saw the storm troopers in the parade!! I am a big fan of Battlestar Galactica (new series) and mostly went for that but there is certainly something for everyone! This was my second year attending and I am already making plans for Dragon Con 09!!
    Last edited by arielmoon; 09-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.

ArielMoon,
    Whoo Hoo! I know what you mean. My friend Kandis is ALL atwitter over the new Battlestar Galactica series. She keeps trying to get me to watch but I work nightshift and just haven't caught any of it yet. I had one of the best vacations of my life at the convention. It was so incredibly cool! Everyone around here thought I was nuts because even if they are into sci-fi they just don't get having a convention to celebrate it. Weird people. I met so many great people and the constumes and parades were just wow! I'm glad you got to experience it and maybe if I can swing it I'll see you there in 09.
    Gray
    Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul.
    Walt Whitman

My blog: A Gamut of Interests