Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

THANKS "cyclingnewbie" ; )

that was helpful!!

and i ABSOLUTELY agree - the sound of clipping in is definitely the best!!!!

As for Right or Left to unclip first?...i get the whole theory of where the road is higher, etc...but, like anything else you will ever do...do what feels best and most natural! I was "taught" as a little girl to start up on slalom water skies with my right leg in the grip, drag the left...no way! That had to change and for the past 36 years, i ski with my left forward.

Do what feels best to you...that always! works!!!
    : )
    Just one more thought...i seem to be able to 'hover' at a near stand still without getting off my bike...not sure how, it just happens. but , that's a great thing to practice...you can unclip, hover for a minute to see what the situation is and then either get off the saddle adn wait or take off again.
    ps...practice near grass!

I try to do the hover thing if I can to avoid getting off the saddle too. The key thing to remember though is to still get one foot unclipped in case you do need to stop altogether. And I agree with the right/left question being up to the rider. I cannot unclip on the right and put that foot down. It just doesn't work. It may be because I'm left-handed; I don't know. But do what feels the best, not what someone says you should or should not be doing. After all, it's your hide you're trying to keep off the pavement!

i think i'm the only one in my group that unclips left at a light! i look around and everyone else is leaning to the right, and here i am, the oddball, leaning left. and i'm right-handed too! it's definitely whatever feels most comfortable... but also whichever way your bike might be leaning as you're coming to a stop... i've made the mistake of unclipping left and then falling right into a sign on the right hand side (thankfully the sign was there to break my fall)

also- the "hovering" might be kindof like a trackstand? like what track racers do at the start line, so they can start all clipped in? i know they use that in mtn biking too... i really want to learn, but my balance isn't too great yet.... have to practice on a nice, grassy field!

Next time I am out I will have to think about this. But I have to say that I have not fallen (should not say it out loud) in over 3000+ miles of riding cliped in. I cant say right now which foot I clip out first to stop but it all has been second nature to me from the start. I dont think about it I just turn my foot clip out and stop. I know that if somthing ahead of me looks iffy I will unclip a foot and keep it uncliped incase I need to stop. Ok ladys now that I have jinxes myself good pray that I wont brake anything when I hit the ground please.
    dea

'hover' at a near stand still
    This near track stand can be learned by "slow racing" up to every traffic light or in parking lots anytime a friend yells "Slow race!". Last person to the finish wins! (courtesy of Nedly Overend - an over-40 hero).

Lightbulb

Sadie...that is such a great idea ...the "slow race"!!!
    That would be a riot to watch...and participate in!
    : )
    gretchen

I DID IT!!!!!

It was COLD this morning - i stayed at the track until my fingers started burning from the cold (guess my pearl izumi cyclone gloves are only good for 40 degrees+) ....... but I DID IT!! I practice standing over the top tube for starting and stopping - and it worked!!!! YEAH!!! I only fell once at the start - and that was because i was nervous and DIDN"T stand over the top tube - but standing over top tube like instructed worked - just took some confidence to just push off and do it rather than sitting seated! WOOHOO!! so silly i know - but i'm psyched that i got that down right now! just will take practice for it to become second nature now - good timing - 'cause i've got a local bike club introductory ride tomorrow morning!

yeah me! : )

GrandPrix, you've inspired me to try learning to trackstand. (congrats, btw!)
    I bike commute in a major city and I'm getting tired of unclipping at all the lights!

Any tricks I should know? Stand? Sit? Where are the feet? Where is the body weight?

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

thanks, Irulan.

Lunchtime reading for me!

Though in scanning it quickly, I think I need to learn the balance of my bike better first - it's a "Lefty" (look at Cannondale's website for that explanation) and turns very easily, so I haven't been able to ride without hands yet.
    There are plently of discussions on the Cannondale Lefty - some people claim it throws off the balance, some say it doesn't.

That's why slow racing is so good. Go do it in the park on grass and your balance will develop very quickly. Get a friend to do it with you because slow racing is much more fun with a friend who's getting a fit of the giggles at the same time.

And, a mtb is great to learn with because the steering is slower than a road bike.

By the way, I can barely ride without hands. But, I can track stand on a single and a tandem, pop wheelies, bunny hop, etc.

2 excellent videos for mtb basics are: Ned Overend's "Performance Mountain Biking" and Hans Rey's "Monkey See, Monkey Do"

Rubberside down!

http://www.wildflowermtb.com/

another good video
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I really like the slow racing concept. It will be good for when I go biking with my brother and his friends!