Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

hmmmm patting your hip (or butt or waving your hand around your back) around here means there is an obstacle coming up on that side- like a curb that sticks out or a parked car. Do that here and everyone might move over, but its unlikely anyone would come around If you want someone to come around either flick your elbow, but like Oak says a lot of people miss this one, or wave them through with forward motion of your hand.
    Last edited by Eden; 08-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    D*H is always talking about his cadence. As a fairly new rider, I only know a little bit about that. I know if I were riding in a group, I'd probably be paying more attention to the people in front of me than the number on my handlebar computer.

I can't imagine staying 2" off someone's wheel. Geez.

I think I'd drive most of you crazy if you tried to follow me. This thread has made me really consider my riding cadence, holding a line, and not flapping my elbows about if I'm in front of someone. Ha!

Roxy
    Pacelining is an intermediate to advanced skill. If you want to learn, there'll be plenty of time.

Work on holding your line (that's important regardless; you want to be predictable to other users of whatever road/trail you're on); work on pedaling steadily rather than pedal/coast/pedal/coast. Get comfortable with glancing down at your computer to see your speed and elapsed time, without taking your attention off the road. When you feel like you have those three things down, then it's time to think about joining a paceline.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If you do get too close and touch tires with the person in front of you, you (the person in back) will be the one to go down and it will not be pretty. Trust me, I've done it, and the result was that I got to ride in a helicopter to the hospital. Keep your distance if the person in front of you is squirrelly or if you are not comfortable riding so close.

Thx for those thoughts!

Besides my the gal friend that pedal & coasts... her DH does this too. That almost shocks me because he's very performance oriented in his riding. Vs. more fitness like my GF. I almost wonder if this is part of the reason why he doesn't have more hook-ups from the club rides?

Hmmm... makes me wonder if *I* do this? My gutt tells me "no", though. I'm going to ask my rock-steady cadence guy buddy this next time we ride.

I knew part of my responsibility on the front was to be steady & communicate hazards. It's really challenging to do! Thus, part of why I was tired and ready for a break.

Plus, something else that I would assume helps my cadence is Spinning. Meaning, the indoors. I was a Spinner first, before re-finding my love for outside riding, and now I teach class. That is the first thing I tell my new students "this red dial is your bike brake... the fly-wheel has 42#s of momentum that WILL keep turning, even if you want your legs not to... it's like an outside fixed gear bike... no coasting allowed!".

The only time I consciously put a foot down to coast is when approaching a stop sign. Then I usually call back that the stop is coming up before I do it. Otherwise, coasting just seems 'un-natural'. If that makes sense.

My hope would be to find some guys from the club that might perform a mercy training mission and teach me. But, they are down the road first chance like bats outta he$$ lol. Gotta keep hoping though.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-16-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    If you do get too close and touch tires with the person in front of you, you (the person in back) will be the one to go down and it will not be pretty. Trust me, I've done it, and the result was that I got to ride in a helicopter to the hospital. Keep your distance if the person in front of you is squirrelly or if you are not comfortable riding so close.
    Tulip... that is one of the very things that kept me away from club rides for a long time. I didn't want to do anything to cause an accident (like even falling over clipped in getting used to my pedals etc.). So, I'm really conscious about holding my line in terms of safety. For me, and others.

I think that aided to my tiredness on the pull... the responsibility is huge... riding like a perfect role model is also mentally exhausting--if you are not used to doing it all the time. Practice makes perfect they say. I need to find some seasoned peeps to help me*sigh*.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-16-2009 at 12:41 PM.