Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Twilight dude creeps me out.

I don't think it's age-related. As a kid I didn't like Donnie Osmond, Hutch (really like Starsky, though!), liked the other Hardy Boy (liked Parker Stevenson - creeped out by Shawn Cassidy). All in all, always went for the one who wasn't the widely-acclaimed heart-throb. Oh - and didn't like Leonardo Dicaprio in Titanic, either. He's moderately okay now that he's an adult.

Young Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall-era) - ooooohhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    Young Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall-era) - ooooohhhhh!
    I love Brad Pitt when he plays unhinged loonies, like in 12 Monkeys and Inglourious Bastereds.

I do think the roles have a lot to do with how attractive these actors appear to us. Nathan Fillion is no supermodel, but I LOVE every stinkin' character this guy has played. This makes a reasonably attractive guy smokin' hot in my eyes.

I haven't seen any of the Twilight movies or read the books, so I don't see the appeal of Robert Pattinson. Perhaps I would if I saw the movies, but I have yet to see a vampire movie that I liked (I'm all about the zombies, baby! ), so I haven't bothered.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I've never heard of either of these people. I am not a movie goer and I barely can sit still for the 2 Netflix movies a month we get. I haven't been interested in movie people or musicians since I was in high school. When I taught aerobics, I had my music tapes made for me and if someone asked me who the artist was, I was in big trouble. I never know who sings what. As far as vampire genres go, I don't get it, either. I dislike fantasy books, too.
    I've always liked short, dark men, a la Dustin Hoffman. I had a picture of him hanging over my bed when I was 13 or 14 and The Graduate came out. Both my DH and my first love look eerily like him...
    I don't mind the skinny type. My oldest son fits that mold. Sort of alternative looking, although he is quite strong now from riding. My other son has a more "all American" look (weirdly, he is the one that looks like me) and it's funny how each of them attracted different types of people, both friends and romantically.

My biggest movie crush is Patrick Wilson. Watch Little Children and then tell me you don't love him (I also don't get the whole vampire/werewolf fascination, I prefer to stick to my own species haha...)

I think it's true that attraction is related to the roles they play. I would never have seen the Twilight movies for myself, they are horribly overwrought and cliched (I still cannot believe that marriage line they pulled in movie 2 ) but my 12-yr.old son had read the books and loved them and really wanted to see the movies. So I figured I like fantasy books, I love Neil Gaiman, I can sit through these, and tried to get into the appropriate mind set to enjoy them. And in that setting, sure, I found the whole desperate brooding emo role attractive. Reminded me a bit of whassisname in The English Patient, I swooned massively over him

I just found out that Pattinson played Cedric in the one Harry Potter film, and I didn't notice him at all in that role (bright and perfect, preppy, cleancut hero).
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I like Dwight from The Office.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    just showing your age dearie.
    The movie wasn't made for most of our age groups....
    I wasn't attracted to his type of looks when I was a teenager, and don't find them attractive now either. ("dearie?") He's too male-model-prepschoolboy-pale-privileged-pouty looking for me. Looks like he just fell out of an Abercromby & Fitch ad. LOL

When i was in my teens and early twenties I liked guys with more ruggedly appealing looks with 'interesting' or offbeat character. Guys who didn't have an expression on their face that seemed to say "oooh I'm so gorgeous I can't stand it!"
    I was the one who didn't swoon over the David cassidys, Davey jones', Paul McCartneys, Donovans, Ken Berrys, Brian Joneses, or Scott Baios. Instead, I liked the Ringos, Mickey Dolenzes, Frank Zappas, Fonzes, Eddie Haskells, Larry Storches, and Mick Jaggers. LOL!

And I don't watch tv so I have little knowledge about the roles people play on tv. I see this guy's photo online splashed around the news on my way surfing by and I see headlines about how 'hot' he is and think "um, ok, sure...whatever floats yer boat"
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 03-29-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I also wonder how much the whole Twilight fantasy plays into his teen idolness, and if he would be anywhere near as popular if his first big movie was something other.

This. He's portraying EDWARD...the ultimate in vampire fantasy for these young girls. I think that's the huge draw. As long as he looks like his descriptions in the books - he's in.

He also played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter when he was younger (and cuter, if you ask me), but didn't get anywhere near the exposure.

Admittedly, I had to look up the other guy...didn't recognize his name though I do recognize his face. He's totally not my type, and even less so when I was a young-un and prefered the beefy-er types.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I was the one who didn't swoon over the David cassidys, Davey jones', Paul McCartneys, Donovans, Ken Berrys, Brian Joneses, or Scott Baios. Instead, I liked the Ringos, Mickey Dolenzes, Frank Zappas, Fonzes, Eddie Haskells, Larry Storches, and Mick Jaggers. LOL!
    Uh, oh...I like all your likes....and your dislikes, too. (and Donnie Darko). Guess I'm not too picky.

ETA: My favorite Beatle George.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 03-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.

The only way I like him, is when Jimmy Fallon is imitating him.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I just need to get this off my chest.

Why is that Twilight dude Robert Pattinson the latest teen heartthrob? I just don't see it. I don't think he's the least bit attractive.

Am I alone here?
    I thoroughly enjoyed the books. <Insert ashamed face here>

BUT, the Edward in my mind is SO much better looking.

For reference, I'm in my late 20s, so I don't consider myself too terribly far detached from the generation of Twilight lovers.

o

*oh my*...a young mick jagger, roger daltry, cliff richard...*oooooo*

The new kiddies on the block just don't do it for me

Oh are we showing our age??? There's something about finding a young man attractive who is the same age as my son or younger that creeps me out. Just doesn't do it for me. I want to cook him dinner and bake him a pie instead

Always been a Sam Elliott girl myself.....rugged good looks and a sexy voice that makes your knees weak and your clothes fall off your body

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Oh are we showing our age??? There's something about finding a young man attractive who is the same age as my son or younger that creeps me out. Just doesn't do it for me. I want to cook him dinner and bake him a pie instead

Always been a Sam Elliott girl myself.....rugged good looks and a sexy voice that makes your knees weak and your clothes fall off your body
    Well, I don't have any sons.

And as I said, I think you can note if someone is attractive or not without being attracted to them. It's just understanding why others are attracted to them. Just like I can note if a woman is drop-dead gorgeous even though I'm not a lesbian or heterosexual male.

And as I said, I think you can note if someone is attractive or not without being attracted to them. It's just understanding why others are attracted to them. Just like I can note if a woman is drop-dead gorgeous even though I'm not a lesbian or heterosexual male.
    I totally agree. It's not necessarily about feeling an attraction - it's about recognizing attractiveness. For example, I think my younger brother is a really good looking guy. Am I attracted to him? Hell no! But I can still recognize that he is, in fact, attractive.

That said, I do think taste still plays a role.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom