Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Glad to see this thread. My neck has been bad lately & I'm getting a lot of numbness in my hand. Cycling long distances aggravates it, so started running just last week!

I'm an on-again-off-again runner. I took at Chi Running class several years ago and try to focus on a mid foot strike. That seems to help my cranky knee and hip.

Weather is my biggest challenge right now. It's 5AM and 83 degrees.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I'm really trying to remember my Chi running techniques myself, Dogmama!

I ran 3 miles on Tuesday afternoon and it was significantly less dreadful than the last time I ran that route a little over a week ago. Either I am improving, or it was just the cooler weather (or maybe both?!). Tonight I'm supposed to do another 3 but I'm doing my "long" run for the weekend tomorrow afternoon instead of on Saturday, so I might skip tonight's run (or make it really short).

I'm having issues with my right quad. At first it was the inner quad muscle and I couldn't figure out a way to stretch it. Now that one seems fine and I'm having issues with the outer muscle on the same leg. I've never had quad issues...ever. And why only one leg? This IS the leg that was non-weight bearing for so long last year, so maybe it's from that? Weird.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Hi Guys,
    just doing a drive by. Congrats to all of you for lacing up those running shoes again. Just remember that consistency is key, be patient and have fun. It will get better quickly if you stick with it.

Catrin, I have a friend that is a PT, and her suggestion for heel issues is to try one of those simple inserts you can buy at the drug store. There are several different types. They are inexpensive, fit in multiple types of shoes and usually do the trick. My hubby is having a heel issue right now and I got a Dr. Scholl's gel heel thingy for him. He said he felt a difference right away. Worth a try. My PT friend says that even a tiny lift can alleviate issues.

It was a hard call between trail running and riding this morning, but I decided to hit the trails. My goal was at least 45 minutes at a light jog on the trails, running more than walking, and to target an average heart rate of at least 125. I succeeded on all but that last one, while I spent 32 minutes in my middle heart rate zone, my average HR was only 119. I think this means my body is adjusting, but I wasn't running fast at all. I was running a split (on average) of 2-4 minutes and walking 1-2 minutes at most. I wanted to run longer than I did but one of my calves started bothering me so I called it good and walked back to my car.

Rocknrollgirl - thanks for the suggestion! I don't think the problem is actually in my ankle/foot. I THINK the problem is my posterior tibial tendon and where it wraps/inserts - I've noticed this same problem in one way or another since my heel osteotomy/ ankle ligament repair/reattachment and am taking measures to address it. Some serious calf, heel cord, bottom of the foot, dorsiflexion and anterior tib work should help this. I AM pleased to note that after my 45 minutes on the trail this morning it wasn't worse than when I started. I suspect I needed PT after the surgery and it wasn't even suggested at the time, but that is water under the bridge. I am currently working on all related soft tissues and focusing on NOT walking like a duck.

I AM pleased with how my heart rate behaved, and it was a pleasure to run in the woods. My neck/shoulders also felt better than after 45 minutes on the bike

Have I mentioned how much I love my Brooks Cascadias? I feel so...stable as far as traction is concerned
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-17-2013 at 10:34 AM.

I tried to have someone take a video of my running today with the Coach's Eye on my phone. He was successful, but I can't see how helpful it can be as I think it is too blurry. Perhaps my video taker was too far away as I've found this very helpful with looking at my form for front squats.

I spoke with my coach today, who admittedly doesn't coach running and he won't tell me anything because he is afraid he will tell me wrong because this is outside of his area of expertise. He did give me a couple of exercises to focus on that will hopefully help me to use my legs properly in running. Apparently a lot of people want to run with straightish legs...who knew? I also have Brian McKenzie's "Power Speed Endurance" and have been watching some of his beginning to run videos.

EDITED: video removed - it wasn't very helpful anyway and I've found a LRS who has free video gait analysis available...
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-26-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Catrin, you are making me think about running again.
    But, I haven't even been riding enough this year...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Catrin, you are making me think about running again.
    But, I haven't even been riding enough this year...
    The riding problems, and increased tolerance for track running, were both involved in getting me more interested in running. Since posting that video yesterday I've learned there is a LRS who has free video gait analysis available and I am thinking I want to take advantage of that. I just want to make certain that I don't have some major correctable fault in my stride that is contributing to that problem with my left foot like swinging my leg out or something. I've been doing some work meant to increase the mobility in that foot which seems to be helping

Also, it is a lot quicker to get ready to run than it is to ride. Two of my sleeveless jerseys serve well for running
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-26-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

If I can get a decent night's sleep tonight, I think I might hit the gym in the morning for some long and low jogging. The point is to stay in my 2nd heart rate zone for 60 to 90 minutes, which almost sounds like active recovery after this morning's workout. We will see, it depends on how well I sleep.

Catrin, are you planning to jog continuously for 60-90 minutes? IMO, that's a lot to bite off for a new runner. I had to build up for quite some time to even get to 60 minutes, and I don't think I'm atypical. Remember that you need to give your muscles, joints, ligaments, etc. time to adapt to running or risk an overuse injury--even if your form is otherwise good.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Catrin, are you planning to jog continuously for 60-90 minutes? IMO, that's a lot to bite off for a new runner. I had to build up for quite some time to even get to 60 minutes, and I don't think I'm atypical. Remember that you need to give your muscles, joints, ligaments, etc. time to adapt to running or risk an overuse injury--even if your form is otherwise good.
    Yikes, I wasn't detailed enough. I meant to jog a bit, walk a bit. I can jog 400 meters without a problem so my goal is to do that - then walk long enough to rest my legs/let my HR go down a bit. Basically what I do on the trail but on the indoor track outside of the 90+ temps this week. I will listen to my body regardless. There is no way I can run continuously for even 20 minutes right now - but I've gone up to an hour of mixed run/walking without significant repercussions. I will be paying close attention to my heel.

Hmmm; even if you do 3 minutes of running, i.e. one lap at roughly a 12 minute/mile pace, followed by 3 minutes of walking, that still amounts to 45 minutes of running over 90 minutes. Maybe I've just had to be super cautious, but I think that may be too much for where you are. Obviously, you are in the better position to judge how you feel, but I know from personal experience that an overuse injury from running can develop rather quickly.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Hmmm; even if you do 3 minutes of running, i.e. one lap at roughly a 12 minute/mile pace, followed by 3 minutes of walking, that still amounts to 45 minutes of running over 90 minutes. Maybe I've just had to be super cautious, but I think that may be too much for where you are. Obviously, you are in the better position to judge how you feel, but I know from personal experience that an overuse injury from running can develop rather quickly.
    hmmm, good point. I will be cautious and shoot for 45-60 minutes rather than 90. I have done that on the trail so that should be ok - especially as there are no hills on the inside track If I need to cut it short then I will! I do tend to want to bite off more than I should...

I wound up not going this morning...Wednesday is between my two killer group training sessions so I've a rule that I can only workout on Wednesday IF I am not sore/fatigued from Tuesday AND I have had a GOOD night's sleep Tuesday night. I woke every hour on the hour...sigh...so no exercise this morning. I will do this Friday afternoon if I don't ride very early Friday morning.

Re: Beginning to Run Thread

We had a special workout today for Labor Day that was nothing short of epic. The last section of the workout included quite a few 50 meter sprints, I lost count. Lots of exercise before and after each sprint but the running was far from as a painful as it once was. My heel was no worse at the end than the beginning so apparently all of the work I've been doing to that calf and heel is helping I must also say that I wasn't all that concerned with actually sprinting, and was just running. I had just completed something like 35 fast deadlifts and 70 box jumps (7 sets of 5 deadlifts + 10 box jumps and that wasn't the beginning) - no way was I going to really sprint. I've another session tomorrow morning and want to be able to move

It's been too hot to run outside but I hope to hit the trail at least once this week.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-02-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Doing great Catrin!

One tip on the video ... I don't have the expertise to comment either, but it was hard to see much from the angles in the clip you posted. The way they do it in the ChiRunning workshops is in a circle with the videographer in the center. Start with your back to them and run the radius so they record you straight on from the rear, which will show your hip stability - turn and run the circle while they pivot in place and record you from the side, which will show your posture, foot strike and hip rotation - then turn and run towards them while they record you from the front, which will show your arm swing and shoulder stability.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler