Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Decision Help please

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am turning 50 this year and have had my eye on getting a cusom built bike for a long time! I was looking at Luna bikes for years, but Margo doesn't build bikes anymore. Now I am looking at Sweetpea bicycles.
    I typically ride only about 40-50 miles per week and I ride in about 3 charity bike rides per year. 80-100 miles is the most I've ever done at one time. My problem is this: I seem to have a lot of arm, neck and shoulder pain. If it weren't for that, I might be able to ride a lot more. I have had my bike fit to me and I think it's as good as it will get. I currently ride a Trek Pilot. The arm neck and shoulder pain is why I'm considering a custom bike. However, I'm concerned that after spending all that money, I might not have solved the problem of the arm and neck pain.
    Now I'm trying to decide between a custom bike or perhaps a recumbent bike. I've never tried one of those. I'm not a fast rider and not a great hill climber. If I get any slower on hills (like they say with recumbents); I'm worried I won't make it up the hill at all.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I totally understand your concern about not fixing the pain problems, BUT..... I think a Sweet Pea bike would be a Wonderful 50th Birthday Present! You deserve it! Actually, the more I think about it, You Need It!

Hopefully someone with some knowledge will have some real advice. In the mean time, Good luck and Happy upcoming Birthday!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Do you know what the cause of your neck and shoulder pain is? If you have a lot of degenerative changes in your cervical spine (neck) the positioning on an upright road bicycle may not ever be good enough to eliminate that pain. In that case you would want to go to a recumbent. I have been doing PT for almost 17 years, coaching for 10 and bike fitting for 6. I can truthfully say that if significant degenerative arthitis in your neck is not the problem, then you should be able to find a position on an upright bike, either through fitting (including custom design) or training your postural muscles to support a less stressful body position. This is the statement of my responsible Physical Therapist persona, you know the one, it's the angel in white sitting on my shoulder speaking into my ear.

The following statement is coming from my evil persona, the little devil on my other shoulder who has a couple of drinks on an empty stomach and seems to (erroneously I'm sure) think that her opinion should be heard.

Recumbents are weird. I don't like them. It's just not right. A beautiful, custom upright bike is the epitome of cool. A recumbent is, well, kinda nerdy.

I'm sorry, I know I've offended all the recumbent riders out there. And the nerds too I suppose. I want you to know that I have friends that ride bents, (and I tease them incessantly). They still seem to like me anyway. I really am a good person. I just never want to ride a recumbent. Unless I really have to for physical reasons. Then I would, cuz it's better to ride a bent than to not ride at all.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Heh

I don't know (since I was one of the posters ) but it seemed like you got some decent advice in the other thread ...

I know some people who are hella climbers on 'bents. The only thing is it's all strength, you don't get to use gravity to help you push the pedals like you do on an upright.

Never having ridden one myself, what would freak me out is not being able to see anything. It's not a matter of being seen, you can fix that with hi-viz and flags, but from that close to the ground you're just limited in how far ahead you can see. When I ride with 'bent riders they're constantly running over potholes and debris unless an upright rider is ahead of them to point stuff out. And worse than the road surface, you're in a lousy position to see traffic around you.

But what Wahine said. If physical issues keep you off an upright bike, it's certainly better than no bike at all!
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks so much!

Thanks ladies so much for the advice! Wahine: I do not have degenerative changes in my spine according to my chiropractor and doctor, so I am very lucky. I think that makes my decision for me. I'll either get my current bike re-fitted by a very good bike fit person or I will go for that custom bike! Appreciate all the tips. You're all the best! I'm also going to work on my muscle strength in my upper body....so that should also help.
    Sincerely,
    Michelle