Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is something I will pay attention to next time I do that hill. Thanks to all for your education and advice.

Usually when I get to that point on a hill, the pain of tipping over seems a somewhat better option than the pain in my legs and my lungs!
    2008 Giant Elwood hybrid/Crappy gel with big chunk out of it!
    2010 Giant Avail/WTB Deva Womens

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    . . .
    If you have enough space, it helps to position your bike in an angle to the hill you are climbing and then dismount on the side that is "higher" on the hill (more uphill) - this way you stand "above" your bike when dismounting . . .
    Susan, thx for sharing this tip. I've never ridden a hill so steep that I feared flipping over backwards but I have sometimes gone so slowly that it was hard to control the bike (I guess that happens at 2 miles an hour!). I've had a few occasions when I've lost my balance when I stop mid-hill but I think your suggestion will help quite a bit.
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

I have been known to check out the traffic behind and ahead and then ride two strokes of so across the road to unclip both feet, swing back into the right hand side and lean over and stop. I have gone over a couple of times sidewise when I couldn't get unclipped and had decided to get off- fortunately I tend to fall to the right most of the time.

The best advice is either to become a super strong I can take every hill rider, or constantly monitor your breathing and muscles against the amount of hill left and get off as soon as it even begins to look like you might not need it.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I had some issues with this when I was mountain biking, but never on the road. I've walked (i.e. gotten off of my bike) twice, but thankfully before it became critical.
    My issue is getting started on a hill. I mean even little rises. I know just about every alternative route to having to stop at a light/stop sign on a little rise, as I have been known to scoot myself across the intersection with my foot... not especially good for the cleats. If I am strong enough to get up big hills, I should be able to do this, but I get totally uncoordinated, especially if it is under pressure due to oncoming traffic.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Marni & Crankin, fortunately I've gone up this same hill maybe a total of 2-3 more times since I've posted this and haven't had to get off. It's a .2 mile hill and looks deceiving from the bottom. I must say that I usually sit the entire time going up, but last time I decided to stand and pedal - only problem is that I forgot to shift to a higher gear, so I was in a way too easy gear to stand and pedal. I didn't want to shift mid-hill, so I just sucked it up, finally sat down and pedaled. I'm always thrilled when I'm at the top and my heart rate is about 175 bpm!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

It's usually fine to shift mid-hill. Just lighten up on the pedals a bit as you do it. I usually shift in the rear when my pedals are at 3 and 9 for that reason.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My issue is getting started on a hill. I mean even little rises. I know just about every alternative route to having to stop at a light/stop sign on a little rise, as I have been known to scoot myself across the intersection with my foot... not especially good for the cleats. If I am strong enough to get up big hills, I should be able to do this, but I get totally uncoordinated, especially if it is under pressure due to oncoming traffic.
    I often have this problem too, particularly when cars are around (and, I assume, all eyes are on me). I have gotten better about it later, just forcing myself to puch down on the top pedal with all my might, but I still occasionally end up scooting on my toe for a bit!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Maybe it has something to do with our "short" stature.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Don't pay so much attention to the incline that you forget to clip out I was just reminded of this tonight... while I may be sore tomorrow the only thing really wounded is my ego.

I also have a problem getting started going uphill, so I am glad to know this isn't unusual - so I try very, very hard to not have to stop. As far as falling is concerned I think a sloping surface is even more of a problem for me since I only unclip/stop with one foot (past surgery issues). It isn't a problem very often, but very occasionally it does come up.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.