Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Between helmet and head

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do you wear something between your helmet and your head? I have very fine hair and when I take off my helmet it's plastered down and looks terrible if I want to go out after a ride. I've been using bondi-bands under my helmet...they're just colorful headbands, but I'm looking for a better alternative. I've seen the skull caps at REI, but they're kind of boring colors and the look awfully warm. Anyone have suggestions?
    Jen

I have and use headsweats covers. I cannot remember what they are actually called. They have the sweatband underneath but allows for heat and water to escape when riding. I purchased three in blue, red and white. I use the white one around here during the summer since it gets so hot. I do not mind that they are all solids because they are under the helmet so they are not really visiable.

The other option could be the Buff which comes in many colors and now sizes.

Hope this helps.

Red Rock

I use buffs as headbands. When I take my helmet off I just run my fingers straight back through my hair behind the headband to fluff it up a little. It looks as good as can be expected after going on a nice, sweaty ride! Buffs also do a pretty good job of keeping the sweat out of your eyes and certainly come in plenty of different designs and colors.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Buffs. I have several. I even have a merino wool one for Winter. They are amazingly versatile.

Here's me in one of my favorites:
    Last edited by zoom-zoom; 05-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I can't stand anything else on my head when it's hot. Sometimes I can barely stand the helmet.

I have a friend who wears a bandana under her helmet. Some folks like the buff, either while riding or afterwards.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
    I have and use headsweats covers. I cannot remember what they are actually called. They have the sweatband underneath but allows for heat and water to escape when riding. I purchased three in blue, red and white.

The other option could be the Buff which comes in many colors and now sizes.

Hope this helps.

Red Rock
    me, too - headsweats and/or buff. I also have one of these, which is just like the headsweats, but a little thicker.
    http://www.rei.com/product/710873/halo-protex
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Another vote for the buff. I can pull it over my ears if it gets cold, too.

Best for me b/c my hair is too long to stay unknotted but too short to fit in a ponytail with a helmet on.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Headsweats headbands, not the full cap, which I find too hot this time of year.

I don't wear the headbands to keep my hair nice. After I ride, my hair is not going to be nice, no matter what I do. I sweat in the head, especially on the back of my neck, and I have curly hair that gets even wilder with sweat and helmet use, so I always have a ballcap in my Tailrider when I ride. If I stop for a market/store, I take off my helmet and put on the ballcap. I wear the headbands to catch sweat so it doesn't drip down into my eyes and make the sting. I sweat A LOT, especially when I stop. I only use the headbands when riding in hot weather, not year round.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have very fine hair and when I take off my helmet it's plastered down and looks terrible if I want to go out after a ride.
    I have thick, coarse, curly hair and it doesn't look great after riding either. I too wear "buffs" when I ride. Very versatile and comfortable. I used to use bandannas but once I tried buffs, I haven't used a bandanna again.
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Another vote for Buff. For summer riding, I cut the Buff in half and it works just fine.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

I know there are 100 ways to tie a buff, but I have trouble finding one. Seriously, my DH tells me I look like an Orthodox woman when I wear it. It makes me sweat profusely, so I use it in cooler weather, but not as cool as when I wear my fleece beanie.
    I prefer the beanie/head sweat type head cover. I have a few in different weights. I got some really light weight ones that are made in Phx, so they are made for really hot weather. But, today, I had a slightly heavier one on and I had to take it off, even though it was 58, cloudy, and a little raw feeling.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I wear a cotton cycling cap. My helmet doesn't have a visor, so it works. My hair looks stupid all the time anyway, so that's not really the point.

Brewer wears a silk scarf tied like a bandana. He looks like a maniac, but it manages the sweat and keeps his pretty head from getting sunburned. (His hair is never messed up!)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I LOVE the Pearl Izumi cycling cap sold here on TE. I have a Headsweats brand one as well, but the PI is far superior for me. It is lightweight and comfortable! http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_9321.html Tokie

Another option is the Wickie Wear Stubby No-Tie. They come in a variety of colors and patterns on the Wickie Wear website (some of the solids are available here on TE as well). I have an assortment to match different jerseys. They're lightweight and fit easily under a helmet, and they're sized smaller for women (Headsweats have too much extra material for my smallish head). I also have fine hair, and while it still looks plastered down after a sweaty ride, a quick brushing will bring it back to an acceptable level for post-ride activities. :-)