Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question how about crazy pedestrians

To disable ads, please log-in.

this morning we were riding our bikes to work on Beacon Avenue, an arterial with two lanes, a big greenbelt median, and a parking lane/strip.

A woman began to jaywalk in front of us. When she saw us (2 bikes) she stopped in the middle of the street with her hand up and said "Pedestrians Have the right of way!" we went around her, totally baffled as to why she stopped (she could have made it to the curb before we got there) and happy that she didn't put more effort into blocking us because it could have been nasty...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    My DH reported a similar incident on Saturday.

His group ride - about 20 riders strong - was cruising downhill, doing about 30 mph, when a pedestrian stepped off the curb - while looking right at the group barrelling down on him - stopped in the middle of the street and held up his hand like he expected 20 cyclists to be able to stop on a dime, and shouted "WTF!" as all the cyclists split up and rode (safely) around him.

Obviously, he never took physics in high school.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

That is crazy. I don't know what to say.

I'm used to the oblivious pedestrian, but intentional obstruction is another matter altogether.

Crazy pedestrians are a feature of my everyday rides. Yesterday a friend I was riding with got cut off by a guy carrying/sprinting with a box of pizza- close enough that she could have reached out and stolen his pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    A woman began to jaywalk in front of us. When she saw us (2 bikes) she stopped in the middle of the street with her hand up and said "Pedestrians Have the right of way!"
    And pedestrians certainly do NOT have the right of way when they are jaywalking, only in a cross-walk. That always bugs me (in a car or bike) - when people jaywalk and assume you will stop for them. Sorry, no.

Nothing against jaywalking, which I do often. But if you DO, then you go LAST after all traffic has gone through.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

They aren't crazy pedestrians...they are crazy drivers on foot.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    And pedestrians certainly do NOT have the right of way when they are jaywalking, only in a cross-walk.
    That's something that's different in every state. I think it's part of why motorists who are trying to do the right thing are so unpredictable around bicycles - they assume we're supposed to be pedestrians and do whatever the state in which they first got their driver's license requires.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've had trail runners arrive and stand for a while at the top of a hill after I've already started up a very loose, rocky and steep singletrack toward them - the kind that one little wrong tweak and your wheels spin out - and then just start running right at me. Their answer to "where did you think I was going?" is met with either a shrug or "runners have right of way." Safety or courteousy is not part of their world.

There are some people who just think the world revolves around them. One day, it will slam them a bit harder than they bargained for.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post

There are some people who just think the world revolves around them. One day, it will slam them a bit harder than they bargained for.
    And it will leave a chain link scar.

People are nutty.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Very nutty, especially given that Seattle has a reputation for enforcing jaywalking laws.

Sorry you had an encounter with a crazy person. Hopefully she isn't busy converting sane people to her point of view ...
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet