Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Capturing a short life

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just met a woman who volunteers to take photographs for this group. They help people get through the bereavement of losing an infant through photography. I get teary just thinking about it, I don't know how she manages to take the photographs. I am so in awe of people who can help in ways such as this.
    http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

boy, I agree with you. Some of those sick/dead babies look terrible. What a thing to have to face!
    Some of the photos are really beautiful, if for no other reason than the love you can see.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

TsPoet, thanks for posting about this organization; what wonderful work it does, and how amazing the photographers to be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    I just met a woman who volunteers to take photographs for this group. They help people get through the bereavement of losing an infant through photography. I get teary just thinking about it, I don't know how she manages to take the photographs. I am so in awe of people who can help in ways such as this.
    OMG, I never knew an organization like this existed. Looking at the photos, I began to cry just thinking about what those parents were feeling. So incredibly touching. Thanks for sharing.

What a gift to give people hurting so deeply. Wow.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

What an amazing way to help those families! I was browsing this forum while my 12-wk old daughter was taking a nap...now, I'm going to have to go wake her up with tons of kisses (well, more than usual)...after I wipe away these tears.

I couldn't look at the pictures; it will be 28 years ago tomorrow that my daughter was born and died. They asked me if I wanted a picture and I said no. Sometimes I regret that, but it is amazing that someone takes those pictures.
    I keep the picture of her in my head.

Crankin,
    I am so sorry. I'm glad you have what you need to see in your head.
    It is an interesting idea. My first thought was "who would want that?" But we are visual beings.
    I hope tomorrow is peaceful for you.

Sue,
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Our family went through this a year and a half ago and a volunteer photographer came and took photos. At first I thought it was a bit strange, but it really meant a lot to us to have those photos later. Please tell this woman thank you for volunteering to do this.

A family in my son's class just lost a little girl who was stillborn. They did this as well. My heart goes out to all of you - it was hard enough for me having a miscarriage at 14 weeks.
    Dar

One of the most humbling and beautiful things that I have ever seen. I will remember this site and use with clients who may be looking for ways to help with their grief. Thanks.

I had a friend who was a photographer who did this. Her first was one that knew the baby would die shortly after birth. She was able to come in quietly and take pictures of the baby after she died. It was hard as the photog is a mother but she said gratifying to be able to provide a small bit of help. I couldn't do it but I am glad people can.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan