Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking Got my butt kicked...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a fairly new rider; I got my road bike at the very end of June. I've been riding as much as possible for a single working mom - which means about three, maybe four times a week if I'm lucky. But I love riding, and I'm in pretty decent shape for my age - or so I thought until Tuesday night...

I tried a new ride out of my local bike shop - the intermediate ride. Sounded easy. Twenty-seven mile ride, no drops (thank God). It kicked my butt! Yep, it was only 27 miles, but there were, amazingly for my area, hills, and these folks didn’t slow down AT ALL. We climbed these hills in our big ring. Ugh. Thankfully, a few riders were nice enough to give me some help getting up the hills; I could have climbed them on my own, but SLOWLY - definitely not at the speed they were riding.

So the ride ended up being 27 miles, average speed 17 mph, no stops except at a few traffic lights; oh and the last 3 miles were in the dark.

So I’ve ridden 27 miles before - not a problem. I’ve ridden a few hills, but not many, and certainly have never climbed them in my big ring. I’ve had rides that averaged over 17 mph. But never all three at once - with no stops. I’m a wimp newbie.

But I finished! And I’ll be going back until that ride is EASY for me. I didn’t beat cancer to have my bike kick my butt!

Great job doing the ride! You GO girl! You ride quite a bit for being a single mom, that is an accomplishment all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
    Great job doing the ride! You GO girl! You ride quite a bit for being a single mom, that is an accomplishment all by itself.
    Thankfully, my kids are old enough to be home alone while I ride. I just hate to be away from them too much! I get most of my riding in on the weekends, with usually one weekday ride - my treat to myself.

That's awesome, Dawn! Good job! That sounds like it'd be a challenging ride for anyone, let alone a newbie. Keep at it and, you're right, it will be easy.

Where in Texas are you?

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story!
    Trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Thanks ya'll! Wish I could ride it again this coming week (now that I've recovered!) but my son is getting an award at school so thought I ought to go to that!

Oh, I'm in South Arlington, near Mansfield, TX.